Value of a custom mauser rifle.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Value of a custom mauser rifle.

Post by Booger Bill »

This is a Mauser commercial supreme action in .270. The makers name, Creighton is on the barrel. I googled him years ago and read he was a high end custom gunsmith for varmint rifles many years ago. It`s a heavy beast. Has a cheek piece, NO safety. Bench rest rifle. I have had it over forty years. What would something like this go for these days? Thanks!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Value of a custom mauser rifle.

Post by Pisgah »

BB, like you I can appreciate the high level of craftsmanship and the quality materials that go in to a rifle like that. The problem with establishing value on them, though, is essentially the lack of a market. I have a buddy who has at last count 15 similar rifles -- custom-built, mostly Mauser-actioned, dedicated benchrest rifles from the '50's and '60's, and without exception they are spectacular shooters. The problem is, even for diehard benchrest nuts they simply are out of fashion. I don't think my friend has ever spent more than maybe $300 on one, and even though he regularly takes a few to gun shows to peddle he rarely draws any buyer interest -- even though plenty of folks stop by his table to ogle and ooh and ahh over them. That's the sad tale of many fine, fine custom guns -- they were someone's dream, and fulfilled their hopes to a T, but few others share the same dream. I've customized many rifles myself, and bought a few more, but learned a long time ago that I'll never get out of them what I have put in.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Thanks, I agree. In the case of this one, many years ago a guy thought he owed me a big favor over some event and offered it to me super cheap. I fully understand your answer.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Very nice rifle for sure, I really like the Mausers. It does look like an FN Supreme action and the wood looks nice, plus the scope looks like a Weaver 10X which is a very well built, cool, period correct scope for the rifle. I think the ad may still be on rimfire central but a guy was selling four scopes, including one like yours for $200 total---I thought quite a buy really. I've picked up a few of the older custom Mausers and really didn't pay what I thought was much for them---$400 or less and for some real functionality, reliability and beauty. I use the ones I've bought, mainly for hunting. I think there is some real value, but only if you are the buyer, unfortunately. What caliber is yours? Does it have FN markings?
If you decide to sell it, post it here, I watch the ads and may be interested. If I had it, I wouldn't sell it, the Mausers I have hold a lot of value for me. Looks like a great rock chuck, coyote rifle!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Thanks. It`s 270 win. I don't recall any marks on the action but will have to pull it out and double check. The scope is a 10X weaver as you thought. There isn't a safety on the gun.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

the typical answer I hear is "about half what yo put into it"
seems pretty close around here...
Merle from PA
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

I missed the 270 part, see it now. Don't let anyone talk you down in price because of the lack of a safety. It may be a trigger brand that has the safety linkage available, which can be an easy and inexpensive fix. Plus there are three position type model 70 replacement bolts available and other triggers with safeties that are not terribly expensive. Should say the Model 70 type replacements are kind of pricey, but other triggers with safeties are available that are not that pricey---but maybe half the cost of what the rifle would sell for----so kind of strike that---value is in the eye of the beholder, I guess and I'm always smitten with a Mauser.

The guy who put the rifle together, what was his full name?
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

H. W. Creighton is finely stamped on the barrel. No other markings. Years ago I forgot what gun writer mentioned him in a article that he had him build some rifles. I have had this rifle since the early-mid 70's.
I just googled him again and this came up.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101140683
https://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topi ... iamese-98/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Custom rifles on Mauser actions were all the craze in the 50"s-60's. Nobody wants them anymore. Most can be picked up for less than$300....At a recent auction I went to, they were going for 2-3....nice rifles they were but the stuff manufacturers put out today eats em up in the accuracy dept.---6
Model A Uzi’s
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

That looks really nice but as others have said, the market isn't there. I'd much rather have your rifle than the budget boxstore bolts they put out today. A Buehler type safety and a lower power scope, I'd be hunting with it.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Thanks. I never weighed it but it is a heavy beast.