Yellow jackets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Yellow jackets

Post by GunnyMack »

Today as I was out with the dogs Parker decided that whatever scent she was following was really good. Her nose led her right to a yellow jacket nest. Next thing I know she is rubbing and flailing around in the duff. She finally decided to beat feet towards me. I stayed still and she went by with at least a dozen on her.
Surprisingly she only seems to have been hit twice, above right eye and left ear.
Couple benadryl and all is good.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Yellow jackets

Post by crs »

They can be a real bother in the hot weather.

I just swatted one off my computer screen. Maybe the torrential rain has driven them to get indoors.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Didn't know dogs could handle benadryl. Learn something new everyday!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea,...they suck....I was cutting grass last week with the Kubota and the mower deck bumped a fence post. I got nailed three times.....waited till night and got the propane flame thrower on it. Every year I burn out several inground nests, most always after getting stung.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Is it just me, but does everyone enjoy burning them more than spraying them?
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

crs wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:57 pm Is it just me, but does everyone enjoy burning them more than spraying them?
unless they have changed the formula, a WD-40 flamethrower is a good wasp killer.
m.A.g.a. !
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

crs wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:57 pm Is it just me, but does everyone enjoy burning them more than spraying them?
Naaa CRS...I agree. it's more fun burning them. Back before these propane flame throwers came out I used to pour about a quart of gasoline in the hole.But these flame throwers are great....for lots of things, like, if you don't want to wait a few days for weed killer, just torch the fence line and around the posts, walkways, driveways......or.......hornet nests in trees....vavavooooomm...gone...burning hard to ignite trash........heating up steel to glow red in seconds.......melting large amounts of lead......

The first one I ever saw was in Colorado during an elk hunt. I bought it and put in my checked baggage and was called to the TSA desk....they said, "what's this?" I said it's used to burn weeds. They said OK.

When you attack a bees nest they all start flying and only thing you have to do is "sweep the air" and they drop down because their wings are burnt off. Kills em out to five feet or more. I even used it on flies when lots are congregating in a small area. Gone!

Maybe I watch too much of the Military History Channel.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Hey Six, what do you call a fly with no wings???

....a WALK!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ha! Good one Les. I learn a new joke everyday. I'll do that tomorrow....let the wife see me walking around the yard with the flamethrower and when she asks what I'm doing I'll tell her I'm making a mess of "walks". :D ----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Boy I'd like to have Six's propane fired toy but I'm in the woods and flame and dry leaves just don't play well together!
In the past I have used starting fluid, spray it down the hole, let it sink in then drop a match, works great in the lawn!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hate those ground nests had one in my out door shower a few weeks ago, was taking a shower usually right after light and a few were flying around me.
Lucky it was early and they wern`t moving much yet, they like to make those nests at the sawmill too under the loose bark on the ground.
A good way to spray nests that are on a building ect... if there`s room drive your car up beside the nest and crack the window enough to spray that sucker then roll window up.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The yellow jackets are mean little buggers. I think they enjoy inflicting pain. I got nailed in the wrist a few years back and developed about a five-inch "pancake" of swelling that itched painfully for three or four days. Not sure if that was an indicator that I was developing an allergy, but I try to keep benadryl handy in the truck and when hiking, just in case. Had a little javanese/shih tzu who got stung on the nose by a honey bee and started going into anaphylactic shock. Vet said give him a benadryl and get him in here.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The last time I got stung I was mowing the yard at the rental house we own next door that was vacant and bailed off the riding lawn mower when it happened. Got stung four or five times. When I went back to retrieve the more I got stung by another four or five times and decided enough is enough.

I went back to my house and fired up Mr. Bulldozer [a JD-650], and proceeded to cut the entire yard down a foot or so, then back-graded it all smooth and purty, then went home and got some extra grass seed I had laying around and re-seeded it. F with ME, will-ya....! :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

AJMD,
My "get even" story was not as dramatic as yours but did let me blow off steam.

Some years ago, I was clearing out debris between a wood fence and a lawn equipment, fuel, and chemicals storage shed and hit a yellow jacket nest - they stung me 13 times on arms and neck. After my wife treated me with something that worked quickly, it was back outdoors with the hose sprayer filled with an overdose of insecticide (not a good place to try a propane torch because of fuel in shed and wood fence) and the yellow devils paid for their attacks. After that I poisoned the vegetation in the narrow space and had no further such problems.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If you can't burn em or poison em, you can still kill them by the thousands with nothing but a board, a plastic tote, some chicken and some soapy water.

https://youtu.be/7FhifTGKtUQ
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Wife stepped on a yellow jacket nest while bringing me a cool drink when I was out back cutting brush. The darn bees swarmed both of us, but she got the worst of it. She was sore and swollen where they stung her for a week or more. Then itchy for two more weeks. I got over mine quicker. We treated the stings with a bee stick, which really helped me, but not as much for her. Some people just are less tolerant of the sting.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/