On-line family research

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

On-line family research

Post by Ray Newman »

Colleagues: anyone here have any experience with the on-line ancestry programs? I have traced the Newman family back to 1786, but looking for information about earlier family members.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: On-line family research

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

For a membership fee, www.ancestry.com will process your DNA (spit into a test tube) and let you know what blood relatives you have, that there are records available for (not all are).

If/when you do so, any blood relatives will similarly be noted about your existence...…………………….

For those linkages that have no records, lineage beyond (before) that point will needs be chased down by physical visits to wherever the known location of the earliest relative was noted, to search various records there (historical societies, town birth/death certificates, published census reports, etc, etc) for traces of even earlier relatives.

To do so would entail travel costs to wherever (worldwide ? ), and most likely records-search costs - a fairly expensive proposition, if/when multiple far-flung locations are indicated.

i.e., most birth records indicate the parents' (if known) names, ages and residence - which allows one to follow the cookie crumbs until a time in the past is reached for which nothing exists (names, places, etc).

That website found I had over 100 cousins (2nd & 3rd - I knew about my 1st cousins) I didn't know about, some deceased - but allowed me to explore facets of my family, and meet with some of them.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
m.A.g.a. !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've been tempted to do the DNA testing, however moms mom side of the family won't produce results as she was American Indian so not much in the way of records, census data either.
Supposedly there are still relatives in Germany from Dads side...
Good luck with your search!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Ray, have you tried this one?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've used ancestry.com for several years and have traced my ancestors back to England in the 11th or 12th century. DNA tests indicate I'm 41% German which makes sense since my maternal grandfather was all German. His mother lived in his household and spoke no English. Many of my ancestors served in all German units from around Mena Arkansas.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Not that I worry about this! However when you give them you DNA, it becomes accessible by the Guberment. The serial killer in Ca. was lead to by his grandmother's DNA when she went to a family search. In that case I am happy.

I'm just sayin
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

My Dad used to claim that he had native American blood from several generations back. We know for sure he was of Scottish decent Clan Macfarlane via Nova Scotia. My mom is Japanese from Japan. My sis paid Ancestry.com to perform a DNA test. The results were a surprise that we don't trust. According to Ancestry.com my dad is pure Caucasian of Scottish and English decent but get this my Japanese mom is not pure Japanese, she has 1% Native American. What da hay? I'm curious to see what another DNA testing firm might find but not curious enough to fork over $200 for a test.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I haven't done the DNA thing... but I've done quite a bit of research on-line, and have had a few things fact-checked in person by a researcher in Scotland. For my mother's maternal G-grandfather, far better researchers have attempted to excavate the facts regarding his birth and failed. So... I'm stymied at about 1800 on that line... for her paternal line, I've had good luck to the late 1700s... but need to make a trip to Scotland to do more myself... or, hire a local researcher again. I've not had that good luck with either my adoptive father's family, or my real father's family... While I have a pretty good idea of those two family trees to when each ancestor immigrated to America, I haven't been able to firm up the on-line stuff with documentation... (Didn't have to go that far for me... as I'm a 1st gen... :roll: but continued to when my maternal ancestors left the auld country... Scotland and England).

In the process, I found some conflicting data, and one must recognize, especially for those with non-English family names... but, in some cases, even then, that spelling wasn't always as it is now.

I'd had several family members tell me differing "oral histories" of how my G-Grandparents immigrated from Scotland to New Zealand... including romantic tales of love and marriage by a ship's captain, among others. It took a number of years, as the ship's manifests were slowly put on-line, but I finally found them... Apparently a ship's purser couldn't spell Cherry. The family listing had them listed as Cherrie, but the adult daughter was listed separately under her maiden name of Cherry. The rest of the family all matched, father, mother, younger sister and brother. And, since no evidence of them remained in Scotland, or England, occupations before and after the trip remained consistent... I'll take that as proof I "found 'em". One (what does "distant" mean?), cousin doesn't like what I found... and persists with his romanticized idea of their immigration... even so far as including it in a self-published book. Which he did after I forwarded my documentation to him.

You'll undoubtedly run into some erroneous information... and if you're least bit afraid of finding someone in the woodpile... don't begin. Keep to your fantasies!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Griff wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:06 pm

In the process, in some cases, even then, that spelling wasn't always as it is now.

Amen to that !

In very many cases, the US Immigration pukes taking names either couldn't understand the immigrant, or didn't care - and just wrote down whatever they thought the name might be. (there was NO accountability)

Just such a thing happened when my Grandparents (on both sides) arrived in the US around 1900.

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I have heard that some modern humans have up to 3% Neanderthal DNA. Anyone here part Neanderthal?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:00 pm I have heard that some modern humans have up to 3% Neanderthal DNA. Anyone here part Neanderthal?

According to the anti-gunners, we're ALL Neanderthals...………. :roll:

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I have been known to walk on my knuckles on occasion. :lol:
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Wife & I did the 23 and me DNA test, turns out we are 4th cousins,traced it back to the 4 X great grand pa on my Moms side also related on my Dads side but that came over from Germany & I cant connect the dots there, grew up in Wisconsin where many came
there in the 1860s & it didn't take long before a lot of folks were related, had friends growing up that turns out we were also related, yes you can come across more than a surprise or two but it makes it interesting!!

ollogger
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Ji I did the 23 and me thing and it came back with Neanderthal markers, no big surprise to my wife. When she suggests mowing the grass, I say " Caveman no concept of "lawnmower" :D I also had markers tied with the Iceman, of ice mummy fame.
Griff my mothers family are Cherry's and have. A fair amount of research completed.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Use online genealogy info as a clue and not proof. Verify anything with real documents.
I have found several erroneous family "facts" that, once placed on the internet, refuse to go away.
I found the LDS database to be highly unreliable. Almost every connection I found through that turned out to be incorrect.

I was thinking of doing the DNA thing, but have about convinced myself to save my money. I already know both sides of the family several generations back. What I would really like to know is more details on how we came across the pond and where exactly we came from.
One of my problems with the DNA tests is that they compare your DNA to current populations. Those populations are a lot different than they were 400 years ago. The world has gotten a lot smaller since then.

Another problem I have is the thought of having my DNA subpoena-able....I'm LEO and would certainly use it as a tool to solve a crime if I could. And for that reason, it creeps me out to think of the abuses that could occur for political reasons. Not that Andoid, Google and Apple don't already know every single thing about you..
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
m.A.g.a. !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ray wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:09 pm...my beloved often had the same unpleasant facial expression first thing in morning....
It was a long, lonely and uncomfortable night on the sofa for me.... :(
Ah... the couch... would be an improvement at my house... SWMBO would send me to the barn... I kept an army cot out there... she found out... now she just goes to the spare room, which she outfitted with a very comfortable (for her, I can't stand it), custom bed... room for one. And... since she knows I'm hard of hearing... silently (maybe) mouths epitaphs at me... and since I can't lipread... I have no clue just what it was I said or did... :o
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!