Should I Continue to Reload?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Should I Continue to Reload?

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Aloha Gents. The house that I grew up in since age 6 is being listed for sale at the end of this month. When my father passed away back in June of '07 he left it to all 6 of his kids. I was living on Maui at the time but was the only one still living in Hawai'i. My siblings asked me to move back and to care-take the property for ten years before selling. This is year ten. My dad was never a hunter but he was a strong shooting enthusiast since he was in the Boy Scouts. I remember as a kid helping him reload 45/70 using his Lyman Tong tool, and helping him cast bullets. He eventually started using a Rock-Chucker press which I inherited. He was always my inspiration as far as the shooting sports and reloading. When I moved back to my childhood home first thing I did was enclosed a corner of the garage a small 5 x 7 room with a little AC unit. This was my new man cave where I set up the Rock-Chucker as well as a LEE turret press. I set up my fly tying vice there too. This was my "Fortress of Solitude". The first couple of years there I reloaded semi regularly especially for my 45/70 SMLE. With so little hunting opportunities available on the island of Oahu, the shooting range being a long drive and too regimented, and no extra money to travel back to Maui with a small disability check my interest in reloading had waned to basically nothing. With my inspiration long since passed that did not help. I moved out of the old homestead last week but have been returning regularly to move personal items over to my new place a much smaller place about 2/3 the size and with a single car port not the double garage I had. Last night as I removed the bolts holding the reloading presses to the bench in my man-cave I started thinking I hadn't touched these presses in over 5 years nor even shot a firearm except my Daisy model 10 BB gun at pigeons chasing away the songbirds at my backyard feeder. My new home has no room to mount these presses even if I wanted to. I am seriously considering hanging my hat as far as reloading is concerned. What little hunting I might do could easily be handled by factory ammo. Have any of you here after decades of reloading decided you stop, and gave up all your reloading gear? This week will be my final week in that old house but just to haul demolished storage sheds to the dump, and to give it a good final general cleaning and lawn care. before it goes to market. These old homes are currently being bought out by conglomerates of wealthy Mainland Chinese who buy these waterfront properties to bulldoze and build new multi-room Air BnBs. There are rumors of money laundering but who cares as long as I get paid, and the siblings paid there piece of the pie.
My 14% piece of pie may get me a tiny comfortable place in the rural South maybe Georgia or Alabama, just gotta convince my wife. Anyways, I guess I'll hang on to my LEE Handloader and various dies which served me well during my 12 years on Maui. The bench presses I'll sell, no sense keeping them and collecting rust.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Should I Continue to Reload?

Post by Blaine »

I suspect that you will find Alabama whitetail opportunities galore. The dang things are like rabbits down there in places and you can take about as many as you would ever want. Little bitty things so you can get them out of the woods pretty easy.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Keep the stuff until you get to a place in the mainland; you might find a place with a perfect 100 yard range and start shooting more. If not, sell it here - might bring more money here where more people shoot.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I really don't reload to Hunt, except for .357 - and there I'm mostly making target/hunting ammo to match Buffalo Bore.

I reload to keep a large back stock of cheap "I need to shoot something today" ammo... because shooting even the cheapest bulk garbage is still more expensive than reloads (7.62x54R excepted).

That said, I haven't reloaded case one in 3 years. But I'm down to only a couple thou of each of my reloadable calibers, so I really need to strike up the casting pot and get out the 2400...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ji,
Reloading tools are like car/pick-up/Jeep tools........they take up little space and when needed, are really NEEDED.....you NEVER sell tools as they are not worth much and who gives a flying pelosi about things that are not worth much. If they get rusty..big deal.....

I've been a reloader since 1972 and yes, some things will go...but the basic reloading tools will follow me to the end......then, like toilet paper, let the winds carry them away.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I understand ---

I started reloading when it got too expensive to shoot my .300 Weatherby many years ago --------- I shot the barrel out of that hunting grade Vanguard ----

I used a rockchucker --------- Now that I am older and due to lack of practice, a lot more recoil sensitive , - I think shoot the magnums anymore ever (don't hunt either)

My volume is not enough to justify the time spent reloading now, -- but I don't shoot for true precision -- I can get decent deals on the common calibersy to shoot through online retailers pre-loaded, so don't really mess with it much --- Even the 300 WBY I capitalized on some Cabelas gift cards and have 200 rounds of 180SP's stacked back --- for that rifle, that's a lifetime supply at my age

But my reloading equipment consolidated would fit into a good size tote box --- not worth the hassle of selling - and I may take up the hobby again someday -- as I want another rifle that's expensive to feed (300 Lapua) as I would like to try long distance shooting -- don't need to be at "sniper" levels, but it seems like a fun challenge !

In the meantime, grab a decent .38/357 revolver and go shoot 2-300 rounds at a local range and get your mojo back !
Last edited by Streetstar on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:29 pm I've been a reloader since 1972 and yes, some things will go...but the basic reloading tools will follow me to the end......then, like toilet paper, let the winds carry them away.----6
Ol' Six may not be the most eloquent bloke on the forum... but that sez it all.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Not to mention that rockchucker was your Dad's press, there is more memories in that press then you can remember...
Id find/make a nice platform for it, stick it in the corner with a picture of your Dad.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Aloha gents, Thank you one and all for all your suggestions and feedback on the subject, it is much appreciated.

As I was boxing up my two bench mounted presses I recalled a conversation I was having with a young member of my congregation almost a year earlier We were talking hunting as he has the same passion for hunting as I once did, and we got on the subject of reloading. He stated he wanted to get into reloading, and asked me dozens of questions on the subject. I gave him a call today, and we started talking hunting as we always do. I asked him if he was ever able to invest in reloading equipment. He said no, not yet. I know his wife very well her dad being one of my best hunting/diving/fishing buddies of my youth who recently passed away. I know that my young protege's wife has many medical expenses which would prevent him from investing in a new set of reloading tools, and used tools are rare here. I told him to stop by my house after work, that I had a surprise for him. When he showed up I led him to my old man-cave, and showed him my presses. I told him he could have them. He asked which one, and I replied "both of them". He was in a happy shock. I also gave him an extra power scale, a set of 270 Win. dies which he shoots the most, and I don't, and two boxes of 130 grain spitzer bullets, and a bag of at least 100 rounds of once fired brass. I also gave him a powder funnel and one SPEER, and one Sierra reloading manuals. HE was very happy to say the least. I told him I'd help him set up and teach him the basics. I almost forgot, I also gave him a Lyman Tong tool with dies for 30-06. When I was living on Maui for 12 years I did all my reloading using a LEE Handpress. I kept my handpress, the rest of my dies of ammo I still plan on shooting, my extra powder scale, all my powder, primer, and bullets not .270, a RCBS powder trickler, etc. I am very happy I found my old faithful presses a new worthy home, and a protege to share knowledge with. I also have an easy to store reloading kit. I think I made the right choice.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Classy move Sir! Well done! :D
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Hi, was gonna tell you if you do, find someone that want to reload and "help" them. Glad you read my mind! I'm sure everyone here has an older gent that did us a favor or furthered us in our learning. Im sure he'll never forget and will always think nicely of
you... Todd/3leg
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

well I wouldn't quit, but I would question myself as to how much reloading equipment I moved with me in a move to the mainland. I think dies and small items would be fine, but anything large or heavy isn't worth shipping. I'd sell it and buy again once I touched down in the mainland.
But I wouldn't stop reloading, as the opportunities to shoot in the SE USA will be much greater than in Hawaii!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Hey, hey!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Ji. Best of luck on the mainland.

But I gotta say, that was a really classy thing to do with the reloading presses. 8)

-Tom
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:08 am . When he showed up I led him to my old man-cave, and showed him my presses. I told him he could have them. He asked which one, and I replied "both of them". .

Bravo ! Talk about paying it forward !
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well done Ji!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

That's the way to do it! Very good.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt