Playing with the 300 Savage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Playing with the 300 Savage

Post by earlmck »

I got a new bullet mould a few weeks ago -- said to be a CE Harris design especially for the 300 Savage. I couldn't pass up something so advertised, so I bought it -- 6-cavity Lee which can turn out a nice batch of bullets in a short time.
30130LeeMould8705.jpg

Here is the bullet -- powder coated/gas checked on left, as-cast on right.
30130Lee8701.jpg
And I have a couple of rifles chambered for the 300 Savage, both of which have been seen in previous posts on here
300Savages8746.jpg
The Remington pump has a tight chamber so I have to size the brass right down to where the ram bumps the f.l. size die, use bullets sized .3085, and seat to the crimp groove to get 'em to chamber. The m99 is much more forgiving and I can load .310 or .311 bullets and seat them longer, about to the lube groove with this 130 grainer.
Loads8748.jpg
Load7608744.jpg
Loadm998743.jpg
At this point you are expecting a range report. Nope -- that'll have to wait for later. I loaded up a variety of loads, both rifles, got to the shootin' spot and discovered I'd somehow got there without the control box for the chronograph and also that ammo for the Remington loaded with .310 bullets would only chamber about 1 out of 3 (at least with the nice new W-W brass I used for these loads). So I threw up hands in disgust, came back and sized a batch of bullets on down to .3085 (what they measure after going through the Lee push-through labeled .308). Loaded these and made sure they chamber OK and they do so will try again. But not till next week some time it looks like....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Playing with the 300 Savage

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice.......

Back when I had a .300 Savage 99,I found our that for me there was no practical difference between the .300 Savage & the .308 Winchester - except for reloaders, i.e. (the .308 having cheaper brass, amply available)

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nifty looking bullet. The .300 Savage is one I've always wanted to play around with. There's always a few around at the shows, we can't use them for deer here in OH but they filter in from PA and Michigan where the cartridge is still very popular. I was looking at a Remington 81 not long ago and was going to buy it but I've been waiting for a .35 Remington to come along that isn't all beat to snot.
Looking forward to hearing how they shoot in those two classics you have there!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Neat mold you got Earl & some nice guns to boot!!

Brad