Primer shipping/storage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Primer shipping/storage

Post by mikld »

I was looking at a thread on another forum about primer storage. By far the response was "keep them in their original packaging",which I agree with. But I have a question that I would like to pose to the members here. How do ammo manufacturers get their primers? Are they shipped to them in 100 count sleeves/trays in 500 primer bricks, in cases? I wold think this method would be too inefficient and not used by a commercial, mass production factory (someone would have to open each carton, brick and sleeve and dump the primers into a feeder/priming machine.) So, are primers shipped loose? Or in other packaging? I would be suspicious of 10,000 primers shipped loose in a bucket! :shock:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Primer shipping/storage

Post by jnyork »

I don't know, but I would assume they are packaged specifically for the customer, ready to feed into the loading machines. If you are buying primers by the million, you can likely get them packaged however you want. :D
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I assume the ammo companys make them in house.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Good question Mikld -- I also would be interested to know how the big outfits get their primers. And I am on the side that figures "original containers" is the answer to our personal storage. That's why it'll be a cold day you know where before I buy another Federal primer. I have a good primer storage area in a defunct upright freezer,
but it isn't unlimited...
PrimerCartons8714.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The Federal packaging sucks. You cant dump them into a feed tray and have over 50% end up oriented the way you want them.
I still have a couple bricks left from the shortage when CCI and Winchester were impossible to find.