Eclipse craziness

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Eclipse craziness

Post by jnyork »

The upcoming eclipse has the State of Wyoming in a frenzy trying to accommodate all the expected tourists that will come swarming in here. Every motel and hotel room is booked and has been for some time. RV parks are booked. Farmers are selling RV dry camping spots in their meadows for over 100 bucks a night, people are getting up to 1000 bucks for a bedroom in their homes. We have people driving all the way from San Diego just to watch a 2 minute event. Folks are coming from all over the world. Population of Wyomng is predicted to double for a couple or three days. Just insane.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Eclipse craziness

Post by crs »

Maybe those folks are tired of watching TV?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Isn't this an amazing amount of mania? My little town in Oregon has had emergency planning sessions because of the insane number of folks they are expecting to show up to watch. And the total eclipse path cuts across the entire U.S. with places farther east of us Kentucky? Indiana? having the very longest totality as I recall from looking at the path and totality times some months ago.

I remember the one we had about 40 years ago. I suppose some folks came to the area to view it -- I myself loaded up the family and drove about 40 miles further north to get in the epicenter so we could have the full 2 minutes or so. But we certainly didn't have any traffic jams.

We have too dang many people in this old world with not nearly enough to do...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

40 years ago I was still working. it was an interesting thing to see.
my wife was at home and said all the chickens trudged back into the chicken house, ready to nest for the night.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I am staying home!!! Wheatland Wyo. is bout 180 mi. north of Denver, even if 1% of the front range comes north its
going to get crowded, 40 yr. ago I sat on a stump in the north woods of Wis. & watched it for a few minutes then fired up the saw
& went to work, no crowds that day

ollogger
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

jharold,
great story!

i remember the eirie dusk/dawn that came pre and post full eclippse.

bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well, this is the first I've even heard of it.
Guess i ain't part of the frenzy.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

First one visible in North America in a generation or so; lots of partials, but this ought to be cool.

Lots of animations and so on if you check the astronomy sites.

http://www.eclipsewise.com/solar/SEprim ... prime.html

http://www.eclipsewise.com/solar/SEgmap ... Tgmap.html

The next one is April 8 2024.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

earlmck wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:51 am Isn't this an amazing amount of mania? My little town in Oregon has had emergency planning sessions because of the insane number of folks they are expecting to show up to watch.
Same here Earl! We actually had some people cancel their tables at our big collector's gun show because they heard there would be huge traffic jams that weekend before! Total silliness and BS. I doubt anyplace will be as crowded as they predict. Too many choices along the path to have one area that packed.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Funny, it's goes from coast to coast but most of the buzz is about Oregon and Wyoming. Oregon because it is the closest to population (think California) and Wyoming because it is high elevation and low humidity meaning less junk between the viewer and the eclipse and least likely for clouds (although I will laugh my butt off if the monsoon comes early this year). Casper is expecting to nearly double in population. JN, like your term (dry camping). I hope those charging the ridiculous fees are using some of that money to collect all the "poo" after the event cause there is going to be a lot of it.

ollogger, I guess Glendo is having quite the shindig. Well at least they are dead center in the path of totality. I was going to fly down to the strip just for the viewing but I think the airfield will be all sold out to (green :wink: ) campers. I think I will steer clear of Glendo airstrip for a few weeks to let the aformentioned "poo" dry up.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Fortunately, I'm going to be out of town when the Dragon eats the Sun and the Loonies are out in force.

I've just got to make sure my guns are triple secured...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I wouldn't mind watching it with a woman as attractive as Michelle Pfieffer was back then. Remember the movie LadyHawke?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
91B40
Levergunner

Post by 91B40 »

Humbug! You've seen one solar eclipse, you've seen 'em all. National Geographic has some nice pictures. Seriously, folks, avoid crowds associated with this eclipse--it will be a zoo at best.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Unless it's gonna the last one ever, who cares?

Halley's comet wasn't that big of a deal either.

I'm sure I've got at least one gun to clean.

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.