Took a walk with a levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Took a walk with a levergun

Post by earlmck »

This was one beeeyouteeful day out our way. I had some new loads to try in the Rossi 44, so took it along on a drive out to the Crooked River National Grasslands which are nearby. Shot the loads at a target (they look promising) but had forgot the little control box for the chronograph so couldn't tell their velocities of consistencies.
Then thought I'd hike up Grey Butte because it is there. And I had never been on top. Here are a few pics I took as I walked along. (The haze in the air is from prescribed burns in several places in the National Forest)
44GrassRidge.jpg
44phlox.jpg
44Hood.jpg
44Jefferson.jpg
44Redmond.jpg
44Grizley.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Took a walk with a levergun

Post by Nath »

Grand photos, what critters are up there?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Beautiful country! Thank you for posting!!!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice pictures thanks for sharing. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

God's Country. Thanks for sharing.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

It's good for the soul isn't it.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

rock-steady wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 7:59 am God's Country. Thanks for sharing.
+1! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doggone it Earl, you're making me all homesick ...
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Nath wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 1:32 am Grand photos, what critters are up there?

N.
That's the pitiful part of the picture, Nath. I didn't see a single mammal; not a fresh gopher digging, not a rabbit, not even a fresh deer track. I had the rifle along to see if I could call in a coyote, but the coyotes have left to go find dinner somewhere -- housecats around Redmond maybe. There were some small birds in the juniper trees and a meadowlark and a couple of ravens who talked to me (or about me) for a while. I know that elk move in here for a time in fall/winter and there should be a year-round deer population but they don't seem to be in the area where I walked at this time of year.

The top has two antenna towers so a road goes up there. A cell technician was working in a building (I guess he's a mammal, so maybe I mis-spoke). As I was catching my breath and congratulating myself on being one of the very few people who might have walked to the top rather than driving a rig, a nicely-endowed 20's something woman came jogging up. Looked around, said "well that was nice" and turned and trotted back down the road.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Glad you had a good time Earl. Hope the chick didn't bend your spirit too bad. If I could get the VA to put me in a new knee, maybe I could go for a walk.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Made me think we should have a Leverguns get together, a three day hundred yard walk.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

M. M. Wright wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 1:59 pm Glad you had a good time Earl. Hope the chick didn't bend your spirit too bad. If I could get the VA to put me in a new knee, maybe I could go for a walk.
That young lady was rather humbling; I had to stop and blow just walking up that last quarter mile on the road, which she jogged up and wasn't even breathing real hard...

But this nice walk was in celebration of how well my two new knees are now working. One of the little details they don't tell you when they are selling you on the idea of a knee replacement is -- it may be only a few weeks before you are able to take reasonably long walks on level ground, but it is a full year and maybe a bit more before the dang things reach a reasonable approximation of full strength. So it has now been two years since the replacements and I am finally able to climb up the steep places. Which I wasn't for a number of months -- was pretty disappointed for a while there.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Love that part of Oregon Earl! Thanks for the great pictures!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Beautiful country, glad you could make the trip. Thanks for showing me your stomping grounds.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Earl,

I wouldn't let that young lady lower you too much. You used to be 22 also. But she didn't even hardly stop to appreciate the view.

Cat
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Don't bother thinking about the young runner. We had a platoon sergeant in the 82nd who was a marathon runner, but he couldn't hump a ruck for 5 miles without wimping out. On the 25 mile forced marches, he was always the first to fall out. Not every runner can carry a load, and some of the ones in the Army with the best staying power were bad runners. There was a mix of abilities.

That is some beautiful country there. Too much concrete and asphalt near me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

some country, what a beautiful country we at privileged to live in .those pictures are sweeet. you better drop some bread crums that's a long was to walk. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/