Rant on!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Rant on!

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This is completely off topic...

I travel a lot. With the elimination of my job last fall, I thought it would slow down a bit, but I received an extension from the company I have worked for, for 29 years, which hopefully will bridge me to my full pension points. So I am traveling again - a lot. Much of it is via air.

It is no fun.

Airports are crowded. People are inconsiderate. TSA is often surly at best.

While trudging through security today, in the TSA Pre-Check line, I was delayed yet again by travelers who had been randomly assigned to Pre-Check that day. Apparently, the signs every 3 feet telling them what to do weren't enough. People were clueless. It's not like this stuff is new folks.

I have an idea that will speed up the lines. Travelers get ONE CHANCE to get it right. Pay freaking attention to what you are doing, read the darn signs, and pull your head out of your phone (or nether-area) and FOCUS for the 5 minutes it should take to get you through the process. If you can't do that, they should log you into the system to NEVER be allowed into Pre-Check again. As Rich Hall used to say, "here's your sign".

Yes, I'm a travel snob, I know.

It's work to me, and if you aren't considerate enough to move quickly to get out of the way of those working and often in a hurry, I have no use for you... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Rant... off...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Rant on!

Post by Blaine »

Unless it were a dire emergency, I won't get on planes anymore. If, God forbid, I HAVE to be someplace tomorrow, with no choice in the matter, I'd board Odie, and go first class.
This may sound callous, but even if my sainted Mother (92) passes on I've told Sister to wait for me, I'll be there in five days (It's Tacoma to Col Ohio....I can't iron butt trips like I used to).
Anyway, I really do feel your pain.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Due to the idiotic TSA agents and my bodies tendency to set off metal detectors I WILL NOT FLY. No exception.

I have few relatives and not one of them is worth the torment I'd have to go through to get on a plane to fly to them. Even my one and only brother or his carcass would have to wait for me to drive across the country.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

I traveled by air for 20 years to the tune of about 150-170 airplanes each year (N.America, Asian rim and AUS) and I still have a few clients that keep me in clover post-retirement. I turned down two generous extension offers from my former employer, mainly due to what a PITA US air travel has become.

"Clueless" doesn't even approach the US public. However my biggest issue might surprise you - fat, smelly white old guys. Grown men who either cannot hold their wind, or had parents who never taught them decent hygiene, or who somehow believe an expensive seat entitles them to share their smells and rank odors with others. Do us all a favor and drive... alone.

TSA? Not much of a problem as I fedex my carry guns (and clothes) ahead to my hotels. I will travel with only a small case. Still, airports have become nightmare scenarios. Most have been remodeled to resemble one giant men's room IMO. I've seen hospital waiting rooms with more design character (and probably cleaner at that). SO traversing any airport is a health hazard. If those traveling families only knew, especially the ones traveling with little pink newborns. Do they have any idea what the past decade has done to what we knew as "cleaning crews" between flights? I'd bet there are toilets in Tijuana cleaner than most aicraft at boarding time

Add to that the facial-recogition and data-logging while you're waiting for the federal employee to potentially grope your rosebud or endure watching them grope a child in front of you. The terrorists have certainly won that one!

Don't get me started on maintenance - spent way too many years in Repair & Overhaul to overcome the facts! The airlines most-likely to grant a Major Service Deviation with a single phone request: SWA, then United. Enjoy your flight. :o :shock: :o
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have flown my last commercial flight. If I need to get somewhere in that much of a hurry, I am just going to be late. I am old enough to remember when flying commercial was a real treat. Guys got dressed in coat and tie, ladies put on their Sunday-go-to-meetin's, you got treated like family by the help and you had room to stretch out. Now, we get treated like cattle and packed in like sardines. To add insult to injury, we have to PAY for it . No more for me, thanks, I'll drive or just stay home.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I thought my wife and I were the only crabby old people who considered flying cruel and unusual punishment. It wasn't even that long ago when folks using Friends and Family passes were given a dress code and told do it or don't fly. I was pretty glad they no longer served food on our final flight a few years ago as the rather bulky lady next to me apparently was no longer capable of reaching her feet to wash and felt airing them out in flip flops was the solution.

Don't care to cross any oceans so driving is the best choice. I'll be retired in a couple years so then time will no longer be a luxury and it won't matter how long it takes to get somewhere.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My Dad was flying for Eastern Airlines for 27 years, he started as a second officer, made his way up through the ranks to being a very senior captain. Naturally the family traveled a lot via passes( paid the taxes on ticket fare for the most part).
The government was the cause of what has become the cattle cars in the sky. When they deregulated the airlines it became more of a pack em in mentality. It has just gone down hill since.
Now throw in the TSA and you have then cluster Foch you see today.
I haven't flown commercial in about 6-7 years, I don't miss it a bit.
It's my feeling that society today have their heads so far up their own rectums they are no longer capable of common sense, self respect and decency to be aware of those around them. This just leads to the TSA lines getting longer and slower.
Face it, our society are sheep, living in flocks, following instead of leading and it's headed for a cliff!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It sure looks like I should get into private aircraft sales.................. :roll:

:mrgreen:

rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I flew 122 times last year. I've been flying for work for over 40 yearsa.

NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING is as frustrating as watching a plane load with passengers. Idiots!

Folks wanting to carry on should be charged huge fees. Checked luggage should be free. This would cut loading passenger time by 50%..at least 50%.

And they should load the back of the plane first, but no, the folks sitting up front load first, and then everyone claws their way back as idiots are standing in the aisle taking off their coats and stuffing them in overheads as the flight attendants tell them not to put their coats in the over head.

On a couple of occasions I've "accidently" knocked a coat out of an overhead and then loudly asked "who's coat is this in the overhead"... :lol:
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I used to travel a bit for work, and I agree with the Kid. But, those "professional" travelers know what it takes to get through the lines to get on a plane quickly and easily (and what seats to choose, and how to act on board), but the "fun" travelers are indeed clueless. Those that only fly occasionally consider all the fuss "just part of the experience", and since they only have to endure the airlines and PSA's B.S. on occasion, they don't seem to care much, or try to learn their ignorance is bothersome to many folks.

I haven't flown much it the last several years, just once in the last 8 years, and that was from a small airport (one room for the check in desk and 12 seats, one room for PSA, and a walk outside to the plane) to LAX, (a smelly, huge, noisy, gathering place for ignorant, inconsiderate slobs). I didn't take any baggage, just a change of underwear and shaving stuff in a briefcase, and still detested the experience.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I've flown just once since 9/11 - that was about 6 months after the event.

No more. The TSA is incompetent and rude. Fellow travelers are the same.

I agree with what everyone else has said. It's a corporate cattlecar mentality, with
government (TSA) oversight.

Still, we could, as a nation, fix it. Don't fly for a month or two. Nobody. Call
in sick for a month, don't go visit grandma. That would bring the airlines to
their knees, and then we would have competent screening instead of the current
"security theater" nightmare. Of course, that'll never happen because the American
travelling public doesn't want to actually do anything that might be the least bit
inconvenient.

There are a couple of international trips I'd consider if I ever came into a little
bit of money. I think I'd drive to Canada and fly from there.

-Stretch
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

BlaineG wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:13 pm Unless it were a dire emergency, I won't get on planes anymore.
Same here. Someone has to die for me to fly on a commercial aircraft these days. I've lost all tolerance for it.

And I used to have to fly to Europe on business ... including Russia and Ukraine. Back then, all domestic flights in Soviet republics where converted medium range bombers ... still with the net seats. I've flown with chickens (in cages) in my row. And I was shocked to learn that flies can inhabit and survive at altitude in the comfort of a pressurized cabin ... until it gets really cold in there. I've spent many nights on the tile floors of old Soviet airports because the pilots just didn't show up that day but promised to be there the next. I would bet you that the escalators at Sheremetyevo international airport in Moscow are STILL broken and used as stairs ... they have been broken since the end of the 1980 Olympics.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I fly once in a while for work, for pleasure, whatever. It generally sucks but is no big deal. TSA is a pain, and most airports are filthy and so are the people in them. Everyone is stressed and nobody is special.

These are the end result of the choices you made when you decided you wanted "security" and gave government unbridled authority. Now you get to live with what you asked for.

Enjoy.

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I don't fly near as much as some. But, I have found one thing to be true. Flying general aviation as opposed to commercial is the way to go, if at all possible. Granted smaller planes aren't as fast, but if the distance isn't too great it's worth the time. Oh, and you can often get closer to your final destination flying into a general aviation airport.

It really shines when you have what would be a four or more hour drive. Even getting to the airport and arriving at the destination then driving the short distance to your final stop is quicker. And, lets face it the view is nicer.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My trip to Poland last September didn't have as many idiots as it could have. I carried on a backpack with a change of clothes and a few odds and ends. It was able to go under the seat. I carried my car keys, wallet, chapstick, my cell phone, and a lens cleaning cloth for my glasses. It made my passage quick and easy. I bought some cheap slip on shoes at Wal Mart so that I didn't have to spend time tying shoes. My belt was a plain leather belt with a standard buckle. I was through fast enough to have time for a good cup of coffee while some people were struggling to repack their junk. If everyone would plan ahead for the security checks, it would go fast. Like the Army always said: PPPPPP
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Proper Prior Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

In my opinion, the only way to fix air travel is require/mandate that US Senators, US Representatives, and their staff as well as family members fly commercial -- no going to the head of the line, no special check-in or screening privileges, no use of government aircraft, etc.

If this happened, you would changes so fast your head would spin.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Maybe if we put P-lucy on a commercial flight we could lose her! A win -win for everyone.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Also, it seems to be the size of the airport matters. My last trip, from a small town airport wasn't much trouble at the starting point, but LAX sucks. I picked up folks from Medford, OR. and Eureka, CA airports a few times and being a small airports it wasn't any trouble. Or maybe there just wasn't any idiots using small airports? :roll:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I only fly for business two maybe 3 times a year. Most of our traveling is for pleasure and is just me and the wife. As someone else stated, it is ridiculous to load the front of the airplane first. Never did understand that mentality. My biggest complain is the individuals that feel they need 2-3 carry-ons and somehow it is there God Given right to store them immediately over my seat. I like that idea of charging for carry-ons! It is also irritating to deal with the indignant businessmen that are butt hurt because their company doesn't think enough of them to fly them first class and they cant take time to be pleasant to those around them. TSA is a fact of life. Airports have great guides that tell people how much time to plan to make it to their flights/gates on time. However, when their schedule is behind and they cant make their gates, it seems it is everyone else's fault. Then there are the guys that feel like they can use their size to intimidate and push their way past my wife or daughter in a huff.

I will be flying with my wife's family this summer up to Washington State and Canada. My In-laws are approaching their mid and late 70s and don't move as fast as they used to. I sure hope I don't have to be rude to someone that can't respect and honor their right to be in a public airport!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds like I'm not the only one! :lol:

Don't get me started on attire people wear today. I'm too young to remember when people dressed up to fly. By the time I started flying frequently for work, 20+ years ago, times had already changed - for the worse. If I have to sit next to one more guy in flip flops I'm going to go ballistic. :evil: I don't care if that is one's normal footwear. Good for you. Have at it when you are not in a small metal tube sharing recirculated air with 200 other people! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Again, people are clueless and inconsistent.
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

Ray Newman wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:09 pm In my opinion, the only way to fix air travel is require/mandate that US Senators, US Representatives, and their staff as well as family members fly commercial -- no going to the head of the line, no special check-in or screening privileges, no use of government aircraft, etc.

If this happened, you would changes so fast your head would spin.
This would fix just about everything.
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.