The Springfield Saint....Any Opinions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

The Springfield Saint....Any Opinions?

Post by Blaine »

Of interest is this Melonite Barrel Lining that they claim is superior to others?
At an MRSP of $899, it could come in at <800....Not bad?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/saint/
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Springfield Saint....Any Opinions?

Post by 2ndovc »

I've read a couple of reviews and so far they sound pretty good. I handled one at a show about a week ago, seemed pretty solid. There was a pile of new Ruger and S&W ARs for $580 OTD right next to the Springfield and one of the new Savage MSRs. I suppose it's all about what flavor you like right now. I know I'm going to grab several while the prices are low. I just got a "Stole It" deal on a Sig MPX carbine. I'll get some photos up when I can.
I guess my point is even if you don't really want one, grab one or two or 10 and stick them in the closet. They're just going to go up.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

At least for now, Springfield just impressed the heck out of me when I emailed them about a couple Range Officer mags I didn't like. They had two new ones on the way inside of a day, and didn't ask to see the old ones....The new ones are, IMO, too stiff as well, but I DO have four mags for it now :lol: BTW, the Uplula mag loader is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I could NOT get more than 7 rounds in and with the assist, I can get all 9 in with ease.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My dad has a 9mm Range Officer and absolutely loves it. Shoots it more often that any of his other 1911s.
I've always been a Springfield fan and will pick up one of the Saints eventually it's just a little farther down the list.
Been able to replace two M1As since last year, still would like to add another SOCOM 16 and a Colt AR.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Interesting...I'd never heard of that. But, I don't follow the EBRs at all...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'm thinking that the more informative post is the one down around #8, by amoebicmagician.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Seems American Rifleman reviewed the Saint recently. I was not overly impressed with the accuracy results. Might respond well to hand loads.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... arches-in/
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Seems American Rifleman reviewed the Saint recently. I was not overly impressed with the accuracy results. Might respond well to hand loads.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... arches-in/

average group size of 1.13 to 1.56 for a rack grade commodity priced AR ? That's pretty darn good -- Colt's 6920 will not do that with any regularity

Even so, --- they seem a bit late to the AR clone party --
----- Doug
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

We just got a couple in at work to T&E in the next couple weeks. Have not had a chance to shoot them yet but overall assembly and fit is very good, trigger is much better than an average GI trigger. The feel of the for end is really growing on me, it's very comfortable.

I will try and post once we get a chance to wring it out.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

A lot more money, but I am going to be curious about the new Savage ARs in 5.56 and 6.5 Creedmoor. If they meet the high accuracy bar that Savage has a reputation for, look out.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote:A lot more money, but I am going to be curious about the new Savage ARs in 5.56 and 6.5 Creedmoor. If they meet the high accuracy bar that Savage has a reputation for, look out.
The entry level Savage is a few bucks cheaper than the Springer....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I acquired the 4 cheapest AR-15s I could, and there is not one single person on this board who would volunteer to be a target at any distance that ARs are normally used.

If it is really actually necessary to part hair on someone's scalp without creasing it, then I suppose the extra couple grand that makes this possible is well spent.

Otherwise, in my limited experience, they all shoot close enough to point of aim to achieve their design purpose.

The rest is just conspicuous consumption. :)

Not that there is anything wrong about that. :lol:

But I don't stress about whether my AR is gonna miss a can or a coyote or a deer head or anything else I can clearly see. saint indeed :|
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Grizz, I completely understand your perspective.
I am OCD with handguns and rifles. I don't care for a handgun that shoots no better than 2 inches at 25 yards, or a rifle that won't shoot under an inch at 100. For personal and home defense, this is more accuracy than is called for. I am just an accuracy bug.
This article popped up this morning. I think the Savage guns could give the Ruger Precision Rifle a run for its money, but at much greater cost -- but less than putting together, say, a Tubb space gun.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/savage ... show-2017/

Actually, the more I think about that Saint and its price point, the more I like it.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

You can use that same logic with .45ACP 1911's. $ 300 to $3000 just to print holes a little closer.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If I can't scare the "pee" out of a tin can, or hit it @ 100 yards I'm not a very happy fellow...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I Looked at one yesterday, and liked what the fit and finish looked like. The Bravo co handguard was very nice. Since I am all into colors now, I will wait and see if they bring it out in FDE or Bronze and then maybe get one. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill, I get accuracy for accuracies sake. didn't mean to demean that goal, my benchmark is the utility of practical accuracy for making meat. same idea with the cheapo ARs, spending more money doesn't improve the outcome. I find extreme accuracy interesting, mind boggling actually.

tman, exactly right. my 1911 was made in the Phillipines and cost $325 or $350 after paying FFL fees. my constant carry gun cost $285. the 1911 is just because every man should have one. it's perfect with the ball ammo it was designed for. there are prettier ones. I don't know if mine is accurate 'cause I haven't gotten far enough back to find out.

I'm cheap and spread money thinly.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Seems to be an endless supply of AR15 makers, with more jumping in every day! Shouldn't be any trouble finding a good one from some maker for less than the $899 price, and maybe just as good for much less.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote:Seems to be an endless supply of AR15 makers, with more jumping in every day! Shouldn't be any trouble finding a good one from some maker for less than the $899 price, and maybe just as good for much less.
Barring liberal shenanigans, it seems to be a buyers market...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

BlaineG wrote:At least for now, Springfield just impressed the heck out of me when I emailed them about a couple Range Officer mags I didn't like. They had two new ones on the way inside of a day, and didn't ask to see the old ones....The new ones are, IMO, too stiff as well, but I DO have four mags for it now :lol: BTW, the Uplula mag loader is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I could NOT get more than 7 rounds in and with the assist, I can get all 9 in with ease.
Yes, the Uolula mag loader is great. I have two of them. Don't go to the range without one. :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

BlaineG wrote:
marlinman93 wrote:Seems to be an endless supply of AR15 makers, with more jumping in every day! Shouldn't be any trouble finding a good one from some maker for less than the $899 price, and maybe just as good for much less.
Barring liberal shenanigans, it seems to be a buyers market...
Yes, I've had a few over the years, and always sold them when things went nuts and I could profit well. Might be time to get another and just stuff it in the safe for now.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, I keep a stripped lower in my sock drawer "just in case."

:D