Henry 'Steel' Big Boy 45 Colt: Feedback Request

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Henry 'Steel' Big Boy 45 Colt: Feedback Request

Post by Sarge »

Hi folks,

I'm requesting feedback specifically on the Henry Big Boy 45 Colt 'steel' lever action, though comments on the brass-alloy frame guns are welcome too. I'd very much appreciate the input of actual owners/users of these rifles or information attributable to reliable sources.

What I'm not looking for here is alternatives to the Big Boy. I've been down that road with Brazilian 92's. No more, thank you. 20” Marlin lever actions in this caliber are good, but like Winchester Trappers, are all “Rare, discontinued and unfired!!” and priced over what I'll pay for one.

My inquiry relates to-

1. The max OAL of 45 Colt factory or reloaded ammunition which will reliably feed through these rifles, and
2. Any successful modifications to the stop surface of the carrier which facilitates OAL's suitable to 300-325 grain reloads.
3. And generally, what loads you are using and the chronograph/accuracy results you're getting.

Thank you in advance.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Henry 'Steel' Big Boy 45 Colt: Feedback Request

Post by GunnyMack »

Though I do not have a 45 colt Henry, I do have one in 41. I am very happy with it!
Henry is VERY good at customer service and you might get some answers to your questions by asking them directly.
Normally the pres, Anthony, returns emails.

I haven't got to trying heavy stuff in my 41 yet. But I think longer isn't much of a problem...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Thanks Gunny, I appreciate the input.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Just for anyone reading this... I hunted the internet and found a couple of posts from people who are using the Lee C452-300-RF in 45 Colt Henrys with perfect function, so long as they crimp it in the top groove. While I use lots of the Lee 452-255-RF, I haven't used their 300 grain GC bullet. I did see where one reloader was using 22.0 grains of WW 296 with the 300RF, crimped in the top groove. I haven't dug through my loading manuals yet to confirm the load, but I'm sure it would leave a mark on anything it hit.