Tejas guys

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Tejas guys

Post by gcs »

Well this has nothing to do with leverguns, or any guns for that matter...but this is a bunch of smart fella's here, so here goes...
Looks like my daughter will be offered a private school teaching position in the N. Dallas area near Addison. She was flown in for interviews and demo lessons, and is driving around the area to get a feel for things as I "speak".
Teaching jobs up here are non existent and she has accepted the fact that moving may offer her a better life then struggling in this high tax, high cost area. She is single,independent and has lived on her own before and isn't afraid of change.
So if anyone has any insight,ideas,suggestions, or hearsay, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: Tejas guys

Post by harry »

Get a place with a storm shelter or safe room.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I can offer no advice but wish her the best. My mother was a school teacher in a one room school in Iowa in the 40's while the war waged on. An unappreciated occupation for the most part for sure.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The traffic was horrible when I drove thru there to visit another Forumite, but not as bad as the Olympia/Tacoma/Seattle/Everett hellhole... I'd sure try to live as close as possible to the school.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Could do a heckuva lot worse. I've been in that general area, but most of the times I've been there for my former company was farther over by the airport.

stuff-tonne of apartment complexes, mid and upscale shopping, business parks, and subdivisions.

However, run a few miles north or east and you can start seeing the real Texas.

Traffic all around can get sucky. You adapt, figure what main or side roads you can use when things get stupid. Be a lot worse driving into town, since so many of these parts of the sprawl are bedroom communities for the big city.

Make sure she gets a place with an extra bedroom. That way you can come by and stay, go to the Ft. Worth stockyards, an hour or two down to Waco for Ranger's Museum, etc.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I am VERY familiar with Addison, having lived within 5 minutes from there for many years and had an office there for several years. Addison is on the north side of LBJ freeway and just south of the GWB turnpike, with the Dallas North Tollway running through it. There is a nice general airport there and the oldest and best Hooters in the Dallas area. :) The place is full of cafes, clubs, and restaurants.
I no longer live real close, but get into Addison a couple times per month to see my son, who works there for a software company and lives in nearby Carrollton.
If you daughter likes to hunt and fish, I can get her into the Dallas Woods and Waters Club to meet folks and find out where to go fishing and hunting.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Thanks for the reply's, from what I'm hearing, if she is offered the job, she will accept it and I guess I'll have to visit eventually, momma say's so.
crs, I really appreciate your kindness, but hunting and fishing never sank into her, though I tried, she even went to the dark side and became a vegetarian for a spell! How is that even possible?, lol
So...I'll relay this info to her, and I thank you all again.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

gcs,
To try out being a vegetarian must be a phase some young folks go through. My son did at about that age and it lasted overt a year; now his favorite place is the Outback Steak House in Addison! Plus, we raised him on wild game and still keep lots of game birds, elk, deer, feral hog breakfast sausage and such available.
Best of luck with her new job and relocation; let us know if/when you do come to visit and maybe we can bust a cap or two- or have a steak at the Outback. 8)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

:D
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

Minnesota seems to be pro education, nice place to live and earn a decent living. Wisconsin used to be, but no more. Our governor hates educated educators. Just my view, don't mean get all political, so spare the lead. :mrgreen: Wish her well and best of luck. We need good people in education.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I live just a little South of Dallas, and about the best thing I can tell you is that she needs to find a place to stay in which is North of the Trinity River. Traffic can be bad in the mornings, and trying to get North of the river can be a real headache. South of the Trinity is usually cheaper to live, but it is in the higher crime area for Dallas. I live far enough South that the crime is mostly far away. Dallas and the surrounding cities will have anything that she is looking for. The Metroplex has an Ikea. If she needs inexpensive furniture, they are not too bad. Lots of shops, and a great Half Price Bookstore on NorthWest Highway just a little bit East of U.S. 75. That bookstore is one of my favorite spots. There is a nice Cabela's on U.S. 75 which is a nice place to visit, and near that is where the farm team for the Dallas Stars Hockey team plays. They are the Allen Americans. Then there is DFW Gunrange on Mockingbird near Dallas Love Field airport. DFW Gunrange is a nice place to go shoot, and they have the classes for the TX license to carry. (Formerly known as the Concealed Handgun License) They may also have some sort of martial arts training going on. They may still teach Krav Maga, if she is interested in that. There is a good music scene on Lower Greenville Avenue in the bars there. ZZ Top got their start there, and they have been known to make the occasional visit. The Vaughan family, Stevie Ray and his older brothers, were from the Dallas area, as was England Dan Seals. Whatever her musical taste, it can be found in the Dallas area. She won't lack for entertainment. We have some really good medical care in the area. The Jarvik artificial heart was invented by Dr. Jarvik while he worked in the Dallas area. I think it was SouthWestern Medical Center, but I could be wrong.

Lots of good people in Texas, and there is no state income tax. I am a transplant from another state, and I don't plan on going anywhere. I like it here.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

Might I suggest Believers Chapel on Churchill Way as an excellent starting point? Sound theology, welcoming people, a variety of backgrounds, professions and experience. A gold-mine of support and information for a newcomer to the area. Close to Addison, just south of LBJ/Preston Rd.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

I like visiting the DFW area, have clients and friends there. But I wouldn't raise my kids there.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein