savage 99 projects

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

savage 99 projects

Post by BenT »

Well I had a day off a week a go to run some errands. I also had to take my son to go look at a used dirt bike. Since I have a office job now I don't get to stop at gun shops during the day. So I left a little early so we could stop by some shops. Well i found these.

They are both take downs. The top in 300 and the bottom in 250 savage. Both have shiny bores. The bottom one had a cracked stock that some one glued and nailed.Other wise the stock is in good shape , just need to fix the nails. The 250 was made in 1919 and the other 1921. It also came with the Lyman sight which sealed the deal on it.

The 300 stocks have been modified to the point that they need to be replaced.The front isn't original and the back had a comb added.
I have shot the 250 and it is very pleasant to shoot. I believe at this time I will keep the 250 original , since there is no extra holes drilled into. I was going to cut the barrel down to carbine length on the 300. But I have decided to use that barrel with the 250 and have a carbine barrel made for the top one , but in 250 savage with a 1 in 10 twist to stabelize 100 grain bullets. I paid $500 for the 250 and $275 for the other. I was saving money sitting behind the desk. One little field trip and my gun money is gone!
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Re: savage 99 projects

Post by daisygordoninc »

Nice find, that's what "gun money" is for anyway.
Looks like fun projects.
That's one I still am looking for.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Sweet! :D

That 1:10 twist for the 250 will do nicely for the 100 grain bullets or so. I got some cast loads I want to try out soon in my 99 300 Savage and 358 Win. I'm hoping next weekend I can go out to the range but since it's a holiday weekend it might be busy, will see.

Mainehunter :wink:
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Watch your back...

Are the police following??? You stole those!!!

Good luck with the projects. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Nice snag a 250 and 300 covers anything you need to hunt in NA, the 1-14 twist will stabilize the 100s , 150s in the 300 can run to 2700+. I run speer 150 and 180 in my 300 and 87 and 120 speers in the 250. One of the better 99 smiths in the USA is near Missoula, MT. danny

Doug Wells
Lock, Stock & Barrel
PO Box 460304
Huson, MT 59846
406-626-4152
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Score! :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Nice snag!
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Nice
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

you did very well on them!!!

Brad
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

Collecting 99's is habit forming.
Looks like your off to a good start. Those rifles have seen some interesting deer camp characters I'll bet. Be fun to take them hunting again.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I'm with BigSky on the 1:14 barrel you have on the .250.
Mine shoots 100 gn. bullets REAL well. Never tried any heavier.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

the 1-14 will carry the 117 Hdy RN well if pushed hard, my Dad uses it on elk you need to push it with one of the 4350 powders or RL-17. danny
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

daisygordoninc wrote:Nice find, that's what "gun money" is for anyway.
Looks like fun projects.
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I want to take the 250 deer hunting. The only thing holding me back is my eyes. The 250 is not tapped for a scope. The 300 is but the 250 barrel will not thread in the last tenth of an inch into the 300 receiver.

This is what I have found out on swapping barrels . The 250 barrel threads are 3 thousands bigger in diameter than the 300 barrel. So I think that is why it won't thread in all the way into the 300 receiver.

Their is a notch in the bottom of the receiver and the barrel that line up when the barrel is threaded all the way in. Then the forearm has a tab that goes into the notch to hold everything in place. I had to use a barrel vise to remove the barrel from the 300 . If I hand thread the 300 barrel back in. I am about half notch off from being in far enough for the receiver and barrel notches to line up. It does the same thing when I put it in the 250 receiver. So I think I can take little off the barrel shoulder for it to line up in both receivers by hand. Of course head space would have to checked.

The 250 comes apart and goes together fine. So If I get the 300 barrel to work also on that receiver it will make a nice combo barrel gun.

Since the 300 already has holes in it for the scope mounts and needs new wood. I will customize it. It has a straight grip so I will make a carbine with 20 inch barrel 250 savage out of it. A friend has had his lathe in storage since he shut up his gun shop, a few year ago. But he wants to take it out of storage and set it up. Not sure where , but when he does I will have him make me up a barrel.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

You did good!

Some well used, changed and not quite perfect guns can have a lot of character, and invite some personalization. Some of my favorites have been this type.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Old No7 wrote: Are the police following??? You stole those!!!

Good luck with the projects. :wink:

Old No7
I'll second that motion. Great finds, Ben!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry