DNA Results

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

DNA Results

Post by Rusty »

Some time back I paid my money and took my chances. Today I got an email telling me of my results. According to the test I am 59% Irish, 24% Scandinavian, 7% from the Iberian peninsula, and 4% other.

They also gave me a list of 84 people who could be a 4th cousin or closer.I've yet to contact anyone because I just got the results today, but it has given me something to think about.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: DNA Results

Post by boolitshooter »

:lol: are you my cousin, or Griff's?
Good luck.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Which level of test did you get? (how many markers?)

I've been tempted to get a high level one. I'm fortunate enough to know my mom and dad's family back into the 1600s. It would be nice to connect with other distant relatives that recorded family history on their branch. I forgot about it at Christmas time, when they usually run sales.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I didn't know there was any difference in the level of testing that could be done. I figured if that had a more expensive test than the one I got they would have tried to up sell me to it. I was happy to find out what I did. I really didn't expect to find out much more even though finding a bunch of cousins might be a little different.

I was happy to find out I'm not French. :lol:

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

One of my second cousins' husband found out he was part middle-eastern...He is current, active duty military. ...He was NOT happy.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

My oldest sister has spent years tracing our family tree. We're German on both sides back into the 1700's, so that's good enough for me. My wife has been tempted to do the DNA test because she was adopted at a very young age and doesn't know her biological father.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Am I one of those cousins? :wink: Seriously, I am to the point that I'm going to do this to verify the paper trail, of which I have made a very extensive one. The thing is all of European descent are all descendents of all the people alive in Europe in 1000 AD. IOW, we ARE all cousins. :D
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

sorry about the Irish part, :mrgreen: but seriously, My daughter had mine done along with her students for a school project. She did the National Geographic test which seemed to me pretty comprehensive. Was very interestng seeing how the different groups out of Africa moved around. Found out I've also got 5% Neandertal DNA. My wife claims that this explains a lot. :o
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hobie wrote:Am I one of those cousins? :wink: Seriously, I am to the point that I'm going to do this to verify the paper trail, of which I have made a very extensive one. The thing is all of European descent are all descendents of all the people alive in Europe in 1000 AD. IOW, we ARE all cousins. :D
Hi Cousin!

I think that we are probably closely related going back much farther than that, at least some are.
Briton Is Kin of Stone Age 'Cheddar Man'

Science: DNA test shows history teacher is direct descendant of 9,000-year-old skeleton.
March 09, 1997|WILLIAM D. MONTALBANO | TIMES STAFF WRITER

LONDON — After he was killed by a blow to the face about 9,000 years ago, the 23-year-old hunter was laid to rest in a limestone cave in what is now southwestern England.

Now, say scientists astonishingly bridging 90 centuries and 300 generations, they have found a direct descendant of the Stone Age man.

He lives half a mile from the burial site and teaches history.

"I've been in the cave a few times, but I never realized it was home," 42-year-old Adrian Targett told The Times on Saturday, still good-naturedly coming to terms with astonishment--and an unexpected instant of fame.

What started as part of a local television special about archeology is ending as the second nudge at the frontiers of science by British researchers in as many weeks.
How's that for a stick in the mud? Or perhaps his family left the island for 9000 years and returned to teach schoolkids near the old cave?

But of course we are all related as decendents of Adam and Eve, so everyone is family.

I know, right?

Grizz
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have seen some whom I think have a lot more than 5% Neanderthal. :lol: I have the proof of Irish, German, Welsh, Saxon, and whichever scandinavian that Henderson happens to be. Birth certificates do explain why my Grandmother on my Mom's side would not even touch a $20 bill. She used to have plates with each President through the time of her death, and Jefferson was the only one she would keep turned to the wall.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

gcs wrote:sorry about the Irish part, :mrgreen: but seriously, My daughter had mine done along with her students for a school project. She did the National Geographic test which seemed to me pretty comprehensive. Was very interestng seeing how the different groups out of Africa moved around. Found out I've also got 5% Neandertal DNA. My wife claims that this explains a lot. :o
Those with the majority of EU descent have been found to have 1 to 4% Neandertal genitics. At least I also have an excuse :wink: But 5%!!! Wow, I do feel sorry for your wife :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

boolitshooter wrote::lol: are you my cousin, or Griff's?
Good luck.
Mine... (per Hobie's explanation, as I've only done the paper trail thing back to where all G-G-grandparents called home)... but obviously he has a more diverse background... for I'm ¼ Scots, ¼ English, ¼ Irish & ¼ Welsh! Or as close to there-'bouts as I can figure! Basically, I can bear no grudge against any corner of the British Isles! Or... maybe 'em ALL!

Like Hobie, I've considered it to verify my paper trail also.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Grizz wrote:
But of course we are all related as decendents of Adam and Eve, so everyone is family.

I know, right?

Grizz
If you're a believer....we're all descendants of Noah. :wink:
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I recently read an interesting article that claims abilities in math and logic are from Neanderthal genes.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Aside from the pie chart where you are shown the percentages of your linage they also give you contact information for people who have had the test done before you and you are shown to be cousins with. They give you a screen name and the % that you are a 4th-6th cousin for example.

Since I was adopted and had no idea about anything I was happy with the results.

Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Rusty wrote:Aside from the pie chart where you are shown the percentages of your linage they also give you contact information for people who have had the test done before you and you are shown to be cousins with. They give you a screen name and the % that you are a 4th-6th cousin for example.

Since I was adopted and had no idea about anything I was happy with the results.
Shall I loan you my copy of How the Irish Saved Civilization ?

1st Class postage is only 49¢. Send out 10 feelers & see what you get. Good luck!

Thanks for the follow-up post
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

vancelw wrote:
Grizz wrote:

I know, right?

Grizz
If you're a believer....we're all descendants of Noah. :wink:
true 'dat even if you're NOT a believer.

:) Grizz
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

2571 wrote:
Rusty wrote:Aside from the pie chart where you are shown the percentages of your linage they also give you contact information for people who have had the test done before you and you are shown to be cousins with. They give you a screen name and the % that you are a 4th-6th cousin for example.

Shall I loan you my copy of How the Irish Saved Civilization ?

1st Class postage is only 49¢. Send out 10 feelers & see what you get. Good luck!

Thanks for the follow-up post
Thanks, I'll check it out.
They say God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from taking over the world.
My wife is Irish.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

765x53 wrote:I recently read an interesting article that claims abilities in math and logic are from Neanderthal genes.
dang , maybe they died out from overdosing on Pi ?
cable
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

765x53 wrote:I recently read an interesting article that claims abilities in math and logic are from Neanderthal genes.
* crosses those possible genes off the list * :lol:
Phil
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Your mother and my mother were both mothers... And both went to different schools together. :lol:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am a member of the only pure race - the ScotchIrishEnglishDanishGermanAustrianNorwegians. I could tell when I met him that Griff was a cousin from my mother's side. And of course Scot is included in ScotchIrish for those that don't know the inside on that. And even all that is largely German and various groups had about 1000 years to run back and forth across the Irish Sea and all. Various shades of Romans can also be involved and you also should check on the Scottish declaration of independence to further complicate the issue. Might also check on the meaning of "beyond the pale".

You do realize this is all a grand plan by really big brother to trace and catalog all of you at your expense and with your cooperation.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

3.14 = PI.E The Neanderthals never really died out. There is one that plays golf out here that could have stepped right off that cover from National Geographic. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Rusty wrote:...
I've wrestled with this for the last 40 + years as I was adopted at birth.
It's that curiosity that pops up now and again VS the knowledge that I was adopted by a good family and for whatever reason , the good lord put me here rather than there.
The DNA test is interesting , just to see where the blood in my veins came from many generations ago. Having it cataloged where current and recent generations can access it ... I just don't want to go there.
Phil
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

This is America. Like the guy said, we're judged here by the content of our character, not who our dad was nor how much money or schooling he had.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Rusty, if you check out the history of Ireland, your profile could just be ALL Irish! The earliest inhabitants we know anything about were from the Iberian peninsula and the Celtic and Norse populations got pretty mixed up over the centuries. I'm "Scottish" but at least one of the families I'm descended from was from the island of Hoy in the Orkneys and spoke an archaic form of Danish when they arrived in the New World. And most of the rest of them came from the part of Eastern Scotland that was "ethnically cleansed" by the Danes back in the Dark Ages....
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My eldest sis is into the family history thing. She has had us all do the dna thing. Actually two different ones. Mildly interesting, but my wife proved that the internet is a better way to connect with unknown relatives than any dna test.

Some months back my wife started to converse with a woman from the east coast. When she finally mentioned her name I told her my mom had a cousin by that same name, and in the same state and city. Yep, you guessed it. The lady is my mom's cousin.

Sure is a danged small world we live in, not to mention mildly interesting to say the least.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I tell my wife that she should have met my grandfather - he was 1/4 German. She thinks I'm a pain! :lol: It's just getting palatable when diluted to 1/16th! :mrgreen: