A tale of 2 knives

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

A tale of 2 knives

Post by jazman »

Bit of a long, but good, story and picture heavy.
After seeing some of Plowboy’s handmade knives I knew I wanted one, so we got to talking about design, steel, details. I wanted ATS 34 in a “large hunter” style with brass guard, butt cap, spacers, brass and red, Sambar stag handle. He came up with using Jasper for the red, and started on an ATS 34 blank. Kept me posted on progress with pictures, and made a beautiful knife for me, I couldn't wait to get it. Put his Jay Baby Brand on it and etched my name on the other side with ATS 34. He shipped it off insured, had help packing it from a HS friend who runs the Post Office in Purvis, and I sent him the cash.
Arrived at my place couple days later, when I picked it up it weighed a ton? I tore the damaged looking box open to find some odds and ends from whomever in the Post Office that now owned my knife! Bastard thief! Sent a pic of the box to Plowboy who shared it with PO friend, and they started an insurance claim.
Back to step one again, Plowboy got busy on making another knife for me. He came up with a blade design I liked even better, and an even nicer piece of Sambar Stag for the handle. Took his time and made a beauty. I kind of hate to say it, but I am glad some darn idiot stole the first one; I like the second one better!
Here are the pics of the first and second. Man, Plowboy can really make some nice knives and is a good guy to deal with too.
First Jay Baby
First in sheath
Making Jay Baby 2
Plowboy holding #2
Jay Baby #2
Jay Baby #2 and sheath

Man, Plowboy can really make some nice knives and is a good guy to deal with too. This is the best feeling knife in my hand I have ever had, and I do like my knives. Finally have a custom made hunter, only took until I got into my 60ies to get one.
Thanks Plowboy!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A tale of 2 knives

Post by ollogger »

that is one awesome knife! sad to say ive had problems with the PO myself

is a great looking knife but im knife poor now, I assumed at one time that knife collecting
would be cheaper than guns, boy did I get a education

ollogger
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

that is one awesome knife! sad to say ive had problems with the PO myself

is a great looking knife but im knife poor now, I assumed at one time that knife collecting
would be cheaper than guns, boy did I get a education

ollogger
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That is super nice......Plowboy turns out a great knife! Sorry to hear about the stolen one. As a USPS employee it is infuriating to hear about such things.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I have one of his and they feel great in the hand. Mine will get used this weekend when i'm out at the zombie shoot
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:evil: Thieves! I hope he accidentally falls on the dang thing :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

BlaineG wrote::evil: Thieves! I hope he accidentally falls on the dang thing :evil:
or slices his thumb off...

Very nice looking blade Btw.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Thanks, for all the comments
Heres one I'll tempt jazman with, he'll have a pair then
Cocobolo and stainless, instead of jasper and brass
This one's got a moran grind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I have just started to play around making a few my self. Nothing like these for sure. when you see the work
envolved, including the process of hardening the steal and tempering. You learn what a good knife should cost! One ?????
do you make the sheath also, cause thats a whole other skill set. VERY NICE!!!!!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Yes
I make my own sheaths
It cheaper than making knives an a lot more forgiving
Takes a little practice
Seems I can build one to small faster than quick can get started
So I build a smaller knife later
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great looking knife!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Either knife would do a man proud!!!!!! Fine work plowboy.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Realized I didn't thank everyone for the nice comments, thanks!
Plowboy let me know the Post Office has already sent him a check for the claim for the stolen one. This is the first time I have ever had problems with the Post Office, I was sorry to see it happen. Frankly, as everyone I have done business with on the Forum can attest, I like to deal in cash. Whenever I buy something I just send cash, and have never had a problem. I've decided to just keep on doing that and hopefully I won't end up being sorry.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Beautiful knives. Too bad that there is a thief at the USPS, and I hope that thief gets what he deserves.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

jazman wrote:Realized I didn't thank everyone for the nice comments, thanks!
Plowboy let me know the Post Office has already sent him a check for the claim for the stolen one. This is the first time I have ever had problems with the Post Office, I was sorry to see it happen. Frankly, as everyone I have done business with on the Forum can attest, I like to deal in cash. Whenever I buy something I just send cash, and have never had a problem. I've decided to just keep on doing that and hopefully I won't end up being sorry.

I've certainly encountered a problem with sending cash through the US Mail, and refuse to do it anymore - Who suffers the loss, when somebody extracts the cash enroute ?

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

It wasn't to big a hassle
This lady I grew up with runs the show at the PO
Lucky me I let her pack the knife, so the insurance folks took her testimony, and it helped speed things up
The second one I let this guy pack, just in case it happened again
Got Lucky first time as she wanted to look at the knife, then she packed it
Second one , I let him pack it from experience
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.