Which is quieter?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Which is quieter?

Post by bluesman423 »

After looking for two days I guess I'll ask you guys here ............... I am looking for a rifle that will fire quietly. I am not interested in the paperwork and wait for a suppressor so ..............

Is a 22 rifle with a 24 inch barrel firing 22 CB shorts or longs quieter AT THE MUZZLE than a 22 caliber pellet rifle (with or without a built in "silencer") that can be purchased for $250 or less?

I understand that many of the pellet rifles in that price range have quite a bit of noise from the firing mechanism but I am only concerned with the noise at the muzzle.

Thanks if you can help.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Which is quieter?

Post by Sixgun »

Save your money and buy the ammo.....the sound will be similar....but different.

If your looking to shoot the neighbor's cat, just use regular standard velocity and tape a 2 liter bottle on the muzzle...fill it with toilet paper...the bottle :D

Anything you shoot, you want it to stay shot....so this boils down to if your need to rid the neighborhood of a pest, use standard velocity ammo or you will be front page news if the pest makes it home.------6
Model A Uzi’s
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I figure the .22 will not be as loud as the airgun. I use the old gum rubber baby bottle nipples. Just pull one up over the end of the barrel, very silent.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Buy the Gammo "Whisper". Unless you want to hunt down 22 CB Shorts or Super Colibri's out of a 26" barrel.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

bluesman423 wrote: Is a 22 rifle with a 24 inch barrel firing 22 CB shorts or longs quieter AT THE MUZZLE than a 22 caliber pellet rifle (with or without a built in "silencer") that can be purchased for $250 or less?
Don't know about CB shorts. Super Colibri are way quieter. I can sell you some to try.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Aguila Super Colibri is quieter from a rifle than a typical high-pressure .177 pellet rifle.

A .357 Rossi loaded with 158gr cast bullets loaded to just barely subsonic using your favorite powder is even quieter... and more deadly.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

When on occasion I've been in need of discreet fire, I used my old Remington 512 with standard velocity ammo. I stayed back inside the house or garage and shot through a slightly opened window. I found the CB's to be just as loud but lacked the power and accuracy of standard velocity.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

bluesman423 wrote:After looking for two days I guess I'll ask you guys here ............... I am looking for a . fle that will fire quietly. I am not interested in the paperwork and wait for a suppressor so ..............

Is a 22 rifle with a 24 inch barrel firing 22 CB shorts or longs quieter AT THE MUZZLE than a 22 caliber pellet rifle (with or without a built in "silencer") that can be purchased for $250 or less?

I understand that many of the pellet rifles in that price range have quite a bit of noise from the firing mechanism but I am only concerned with the noise at the muzzle.

Thanks if you can help.
What do you want to shoot? A Sheridan .20 with just 4 pumps is very quiet will do head shots on cats coons squills etc
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Like most hunting situations, it all boils down to where you hit the game animal. That being said, out of a 24" barrel CB shorts and longs SHOULD be quiet enough. I haven't had any complaints over the years. On colder days you shouldn't have too much of a problem 'cause people tend to keep their windows and doors closed. HTH
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

That is a really good question actually, and one that I should test out since I have several adult airguns and also some CB shorts.

I know that the CB shorts aren't as quiet from my sons 16" barrel youth Henry lever action as I remembered them being from a long barreled remington bolt action .22 I used to have. I remember that rifle was super quiet with CBs - almost no noise at all. definitely quieter than a high powered air rifle.

only problem with the CBs is that unless you have some already, good luck finding any now. oh, and be careful about firing some of these primer only .22s through a long barreled rifle, i've heard that some of the colibri's will not make it all the way down a long barrel. I think the CCI CBs are ok. I also have some CCI "quiet 22" ammo that is fairly quiet. less than standard velocity.

I do disagree about the Sheridan though - while I love sheridan's and own 3, they are actually fairly loud as fair as air guns go. have a pretty sharp crack. maybe not so bad with 4 pumps, but with 6-8 they are not quiet at all.

spring powered rifles don't have the same crack as the pump guns, but have a different loud clang sound when fired. also not really quiet.

I'll try to test this out. I'll get my son to help me make a video maybe. He would LOVE that.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

how about a trap with a 50-cent can of meow mix fishy cat food?
then you need one dispatch shot, and you could do that out in the boonies
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Don't think they make them now, but my Grandfather used CCI mini-caps, a quiet 22 short, to deadly and quiet effects on the crows at the farm when they were raiding the pecan tree. They really didn't know where the noise was from, only that one of their own fell to the ground.
IIRC, the velocity of the 29gr bullet was only 700fps or a bit less. His 22 had a 24" bbl.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

my dad bought caps in a retail store a few weeks ago - they don't even count as ammo in Texas, no registration.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

bulldog1935 wrote:my dad bought caps in a retail store a few weeks ago - they don't even count as ammo in Texas, no registration.
It's been a really LONG time since I bought any ammo at retail (excepting shotshells)... what's this registration for ammo?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I've shot thousands of CCI CB Caps for years, because they are quieter than a pellet gun. At least, out of a bolt action with a 24" barrel, it is so quiet the firing pin is about the loudest part. Great killers of crows and cats. :D
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

My 22lr rifle, with can, shooting sniper 60gr subsonic ammo is quieter than my .20 cal spring air rifle. By a lot. My air rifle is super sonic by some 200 ft/sec. The 60 grain subsonic does not shoot well in all rifles. It shoots great in mine. I'm thinking it's about the same DB level without the can.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

if it is a cat you are after, acetaminophen is completely silent
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Griff wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:my dad bought caps in a retail store a few weeks ago - they don't even count as ammo in Texas, no registration.
It's been a really LONG time since I bought any ammo at retail (excepting shotshells)... what's this registration for ammo?
you have to fill out a state form when you purchase ammo - caps don't count
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I feel the neighbor`s cats are in danger.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rjohns94 wrote:My 22lr rifle, with can, shooting sniper 60gr subsonic ammo is quieter than my .20 cal spring air rifle. By a lot. My air rifle is super sonic by some 200 ft/sec. The 60 grain subsonic does not shoot well in all rifles. It shoots great in mine. I'm thinking it's about the same DB level without the can.
If you really want Q-U-I-E-T then this setup is spooky-quiet...

Thompson Machine 'Operative' on a Ruger 96/22; the can is made for 10/22's, but is so quiet that I thought it silly to put it on a semiauto with a clackety-clack bolt going back and forth.

I've shot this into winter woods at low-incline snow banks 200 yards away, so I can see how quiet the gun is (vs. bullet impact), and even then, the bullet impact into that distant snow is louder than anything else. All you hear is the hammer fall and the bullet impact.

Now I wonder what it would be like on a striker-fired gun where there is no hammer-fall... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

What I was meaning to say is that my 22lr subsonic rounds with out the can is same db level as the .20 Cal pellet rifle. With the can, all I hear is bullet strike on game.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Booger Bill wrote:I feel the neighbor`s cats are in danger.

Uh, yep!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

rjohns94 wrote:My 22lr rifle, with can, shooting sniper 60gr subsonic ammo is quieter than my .20 cal spring air rifle. By a lot. My air rifle is super sonic by some 200 ft/sec. The 60 grain subsonic does not shoot well in all rifles. It shoots great in mine. I'm thinking it's about the same DB level without the can.
It's my belief that a pump-up is much quieter than a spring fired....This thread reminds me that my Sheridan Silver Streak is down and out and needs a good rebuild.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rjohns94 wrote:The 60 grain subsonic does not shoot well in all rifles.
Yep. Be careful using them if you do get a suppressor, because if they are wobbling (due to long length plus low velocity) you could get baffle-strikes (may help if you use an over-caliber suppressor like when I use the 357 caliber Mystic on a 22 LR). If the barrel is a fast-twist one made with the anticipation you'll be using heavy subsonics, it reduces the risk. Of course if you don't have a suppressor on it, and you don't demand pinpoint accuracy, it may not matter to the feral cat (or whatever) if the bullet hits a bit sideways instead of nose-first.

You can shoot the 60 grain SSS's at 100 yards at good crisp target paper with good backing, and pretty well tell if they are keyholing or not.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

CCI CBshorts are always the quietest rounds I have ever fired. Out of a 24" 39A the hammer hitting the firing pin and the bullet hitting its mark are the loudest sounds I here.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Aguila Super Colibri's are the quietest things I've ever shot - bar none. Much quieter than a standard .177 or .22 pellet. Okay, my old Red Ryder may be quieter.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The Super Colibri's don't always exit a long barrel. Especially after a couple dozen rounds.

I have a Martini-Greener with a 30" barrel and is super quiet with CB shorts and Longs.
Sounds like a breaking tree branch.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Agreed. I use the Super Colibri's for rifles, and the Colibri's for handguns. Still, I wouldn't shoot too many of the former in a row. Just asking for one to lodge in the barrel! :shock:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

2ndovc wrote:The Super Colibri's don't always exit a long barrel. Especially after a couple dozen rounds.

I have a Martini-Greener with a 30" barrel and is super quiet with CB shorts and Longs.
Sounds like a breaking tree branch.

jb 8)
I always rod the barrel between Super Colibri shots. They don't work the action anyway, so why not?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

The 60 grainers through my suppressor are single hole at 25 yards when shooting my PWS SUMMIT. I have had none stick after several boxes of them. On opening day, 4 squirrels, neck shots all top of tree kills, 40-50 yards each shot. I'm very impressed with the accuracy and performance. My silencer is a permanent fixture on this rifle. It's my woods walking rifle for all occasions except general season for deer and muzzleloading.
Mike Johnson,

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rjohns94 wrote:The 60 grainers through my suppressor are single hole at 25 yards when shooting my PWS SUMMIT. I have had none stick after several boxes of them. On opening day, 4 squirrels, neck shots all top of tree kills, 40-50 yards each shot. I'm very impressed with the accuracy and performance. My silencer is a permanent fixture on this rifle. It's my woods walking rifle for all occasions except general season for deer and muzzleloading.
I'll bet lots of us would like some PICTURES and a thread about this... :wink:

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:The 60 grainers through my suppressor are single hole at 25 yards when shooting my PWS SUMMIT. I have had none stick after several boxes of them. On opening day, 4 squirrels, neck shots all top of tree kills, 40-50 yards each shot. I'm very impressed with the accuracy and performance. My silencer is a permanent fixture on this rifle. It's my woods walking rifle for all occasions except general season for deer and muzzleloading.
I'll bet lots of us would like some PICTURES and a thread about this... :wink:
YEP! :D
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I would be wary of using CB shorts or longs in a 24" barrel. They might not exit the barrel completely every time. I use them in my Henry large loop carbine all the time, but it only has a 16" barrel. I only have 5 acres with houses on either side of me maybe 100 yards away and they have never noticed the noise. As others have stated, the noise level is very close to that of my air gun, just different. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

44 Special fired in a 44 MAG carbine is exceptionally quiet and no recoil either.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

t.r. wrote: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:44 am 44 Special fired in a 44 MAG carbine is exceptionally quiet and no recoil either.

TR
B.T.T. & the best, no nonsense answer ever !
m.A.g.a. !
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I am impressed by the CCI quiets with the segmented hollow points. Shot into a gallon milk jug full of water at 25 Yards and I did get three exit holes.
I used to shoot opossums on the porch with cb longs but they always walked off aways and I think there brain must be the size of a pea.
I did get better results when I filed the cb longs nose flat though.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Hmmm. Lost of speculation as to what bluesman 423 wants quiet ammo for and the thread quickly went to shooting cats. I shoot 22 rimfires in my shed for fun and would shoot my 44s if they weren't so loud and frighten the neighbors. I didn't find any available here but I would try 22 Shorts. I'd like more info as the want/need for quiet shooting...

An aside; If someone shot a pet of mine they should expect to be shot themselves...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

The longer the barrel, the quieter it will be, Sub sonic ammo is twice as expensive then regular target rounds...which are sub sonic. I run the target rounds through Pacos 22 whack a mole tool, it puts a nice flat metplate on the bullet, at that low speed hollow points aren't very effective. 22 shorts are somewhat quiet but not subsonic. CB cap longs are fine for close in work, as is using your house or truck as a silencer, just back away from the window a bit.
I can't legally comment on the soda bottle trick, but I hear it helps... :mrgreen:

Limit the shooting to ONE shot only, it's difficult to triangulate the sound that way and of course cool weather with everyones windows closed is very helpful.

I think that covers it. I don't speculate on what needs shooting and I don't care, just be patient and make your ONE shot the only one you need.....
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

bdhold wrote: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:31 am you have to fill out a state form when you purchase ammo - caps don't count
Where do you live? I have never encountered that!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:10 pmA .357 Rossi loaded with 158gr cast bullets loaded to just barely subsonic using your favorite powder is even quieter... and more deadly.
Yep. Even from a 16" barrel they can be quiet, but from a 24" they are really quiet...!

------------------------------ ------------------------------

"...I run the target rounds through Pacos 22 whack a mole tool, it puts a nice flat meplat on the bullet..." :lol: That would be a great name for his device, and easier to spell than "Acu-rzr"... :wink:

It IS a great tool though - http://www.pacotools.com/tool_discriptions - anyone with a 22 LR ought to get one, for both 'fun' and 'serious' applications.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

bdhold wrote: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:35 am my dad bought caps in a retail store a few weeks ago - they don't even count as ammo in Texas, no registration.
I am surprised that , in TEXAS, you have registration of ammo. :shock:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Texas has no ammo or gun registration
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

If your issue is animals, pets or pests, you can ask your local animal control unit for a live trap. Most units have them to loan to people. Most of the time they will even come pick up the trap and animal relieving you of that headache.

Just a possible alternative to shooting.

Wm
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

It greatly depends on the individual rifle.

MOST .22's I've shot with CBs were definitely louder than MOST airguns.

However, we used to have a Remington bolt action - I think it was a model 512 or something like that - and with CBs it was totally quiet. that was such an accurate rifle too.

I have personally had terrible luck with those super low velocity .22s - the colibris - very inaccurate.

In general a quality airgun will be more accurate than a .22 rimfire

as an airgun enthusiast, i would highly recommend that you stay away from those very popular chinese break action airguns. if that is your alternative, then I would definitely try for a quiet rimfire instead.

Blaine - if you read this - I highly recommend MAC1 airguns - they are in califormia. Tim McMurray has been working on sheridans for decades and he can do anything you need to your sheridan. You don't have to go for the steroid tune - though I have had him steroid a couple of my sheridans, and they are NOT quiet :D but do put out some power!
If you do send your sheridan to him and it isn't already drilled and tapped for the williams receiver sight - have him do it - its by far the best thing you can do for a sheridan.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Final answer; a blowgun.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Crickett .22s with Super Colibri are nice and quiet. All I hear is the bolt dropping. My son's was accurate. He got bored with the target and pellet trap and started hunting sparrows about 7 or 8 years old. It worked great for that.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I have used the CCI Mini Caps (might be called CB caps nowadays) on crows, raccoons, ect. to great effect. Grandad had an old Savage semi auto 22 with a bolt you could lock and use it single shot. Had a 24" barrel. Very quiet. Never had a bullet stuck in the bore.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

jdad wrote: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:16 pm Buy the Gammo "Whisper". Unless you want to hunt down 22 CB Shorts or Super Colibri's out of a 26" barrel.
I have a Gamo Whisper I shoot in the winter, and they are not quiet. It has quite the crack at around 1400 fps. Since it's breaking the sound barrier, most .22 LR ammo that's target or low velocity is quieter with a decent length barrel.
My old Benjamin pump is quieter than my Gamo, but also lower velocity.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Double post. deleted
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

vancelw wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:27 pm Texas has no ammo or gun registration
Gun registration is Federal, not state. So every new gun purchased in Texas has to go through Federal background check, just like every state in the USA>