Tire Wear... How many miles do you expect to get?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Tire Wear... How many miles do you expect to get?

Post by Old No7 »

Call me curious...

I put a set of (4) Temp A/Traction A Yokohama Avid tires on my Toyota Highlander Sport 27 months and just under 35k miles ago. They've been faithfully rotated at every oil change too. (Not only do I have a good shop that I can trust... But I mark the front tires each morning before the rotation is done...) (Well OK, so much for the trust... :wink: ...but at least they do the rotations!)

Anyway, now I see it's clear that I'll need a brand new set all-around before the snow flies...

Well, since my Dad's gone now, I can ask you all...

How many miles do you expect to get out of a decent set of auto tires?

Thanks.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tire Wear... How many miles do you expect to get?

Post by Streetstar »

40-50k for me --- last set i bought was a set of Bridgestone Duelers that are supposed to last 80k -- i guess i'll see
The Goodyear Wranglers that came with my truck lasted 45k , (but i drove them to 50)
----- Doug
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Depends entirely on treadware rating and vehicle.

I get anywhere from 35k to 70k...usually in the 40k range.

Last tire I bought for my wife's van had a 780 treadwear rating. I didn't know the number went that high. We'll see how that works out.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

got 80-some thousand on the man van first go around. got damaged tires second round and put on michelins waranteed for 80k.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

#7 I run coopers on my chev and toyo M55s on my dodge about 35K on gravel roads 55K on pavement. The coopers were 498$ with rebate 235-85-16s I just got them from the outfit below. danny
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

In the late 70s and early 80s I worked in the tire industry. I rotate every 2500 with a balance at 5000 and shocks every 40,000 on cars and trucks. I manage my tire pressure with a tread depth guage each rotation. Tires today, Michelin, Bridgestone etc. are not made with the same quality rubber they were in the past. Balancing tires is now a pita as they are not asymmetric. There are good tires out there, however they are tire-specific and DOT code specific. I used to be a Michelin snob. Times change. I used to exceed the milage rating of the tire, now it's maybe 2/3 . . . another marker for resource scarcity.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've got 55K on the original tires that came on my F-150 and they still look great.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I get between 300-350K from my drive tires and they're only rotated once, when the tread differential is about 2/32s... the rear wear slightly faster than the front. At ~$400/ea (x 8), I don't wanna give the retreader my miles! Steer tires only last between 70-125K, depending on how often they're rebalanced & the truck is aligned. Oh wait, you're asking about cars? :P :P :D

I usually get an alignment twice a year. And a rebalance at the first jitter or shimmy.

IMO, alignment, inflation, balance & shocks are far more important than simply rotating tires, especially on a 4WD. My last 2 4WDs have been 1-ton duallys. the 1st one saw 177,xxx miles on one rear tire set change and 2 steer tire changes. At around 48,000 all six 215/75R16s got changed to 235/75R16s, one load range higher than called for. The "new" p/u has 59,000 miles and has had the original steers replaced when they suffered belt separations at ~22,000 miles. Probably more to do with sittin' for weeks on end and that Texas sun!

My vehicles are serviced about every 12K... None of them see that many in a year, but alignments and wheel balancing is done once a year... unless I'm off-roading heavily... which doesn't happen any more. Bump a curb... and it's into the alignment shop.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

On the original GoodYear Eagle run flats on the 2003 Corvette I got 52,500. On the replacement OEM they went 50,000. I drove a little faster.
At 103,000 the car has not been realigned. The tires are directional & front & rear are different sizes, so no rotation.
These are not cheap tires.

hayabusa
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Our 01 Hyundai Santa Fe came with BF Goodrich tires , got 84,000 out of them rotated every other oil change. my 05 Jeep came with Goodyear Wrangler SR A's I just replaced them last week at 98,000 mi. the tire dealer laughed pretty hard as He said most people cant stand the Wranglers .We replaced them with Cooper Discoverer A/T's. gott'a keep them rotated and watch tire pressure.
Cooper has a pretty good rebate program going thru the end of Oct. We saved $70.00.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

BF Goodrich tires were OEM on my 2010 Nissan Frontier 4X4 crewcab and I have about 62,000 miles on them. Will be mounting my Finnish Nokian Hakkepeliitta snow tires in a week or two, then will run the Goodriches into next fall if I don't buy a Dodge EcoDiesel or the new F150 next spring.
By the way, the Finns sure know how to make a snow tire.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Start here:
http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp?s_kwc ... 18153640:s

I always select my tires there based on their testing comparisons, buyer reviews etc. Reviews for each tire can be selected specific to your vehicle.

They have local dealers all over the country who will put them on after you buy them on line. Never had a bad one.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

About 60 thousand on my work truck, mostly highway miles.

Jeep, 40 to 50 thousand depending on how much of that is off road. I won't count sidewall damage and such from off roading.

Wife's '78 sport touring edition, around 40. It's a big car and she is hard on the rear tires. :evil: For such a little lady, she has a very heavy right foot.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

60-65. Almost all highway miles on my f-250. I have 44 on my ford transit and they are still good. Rotate every oil change. I have put 112k on my F-250 since last November. I bought the transit last July. I drive a bit.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Toyo and Yokohama both have given me about 50,000 miles on my Camry, the Uniroyal tires on the front of the Explorer have outlasted a set of Michelins and a set of Goodyears on the back of it, and now there are Uniroyal on both ends of it. Michelins have never given me more than 35,000 on a 50,000 mile warranty, and Wal Mart tire and lube express has never stood behind any of their warranties, not even the road hazard warranties.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

We get about 45K out of the Yokohamas on the Subaru Outback. We're at 39K on the OEM tires on the Dodge 2500. And I get about 8K out of the Michelin Pilot Road 3's on the Yamaha FJR.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

WOW, you guys are killing me.
You can't be serious are you. 80,000 miles on a set of tires?

What in the world am I doing wrong. Over the years I've run Cooper discover m/t and a/t, BFG m/t and a/t for the most part. I usually averaged between 25-30K on them. The last set of tires I just replaced were TOYO m/t's and I was thoroughly impressed with the fact that I got something like 42,000 miles on them, plus the performance is great, I really like the tires and I just put a new set on. I just don't see how in the world you guy are getting that milage out of them. The piece of stuff tires that came on my Tacoma new lasted about 15,000 miles.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Udy wrote:WOW, you guys are killing me.
You can't be serious are you. 80,000 miles on a set of tires?

What in the world am I doing wrong. Over the years I've run Cooper discover m/t and a/t, BFG m/t and a/t for the most part. I usually averaged between 25-30K on them. The last set of tires I just replaced were TOYO m/t's and I was thoroughly impressed with the fact that I got something like 42,000 miles on them, plus the performance is great, I really like the tires and I just put a new set on. I just don't see how in the world you guy are getting that milage out of them. The piece of stuff tires that came on my Tacoma new lasted about 15,000 miles.
Toyos are the only thing I've ever gotten 65-70k out of. Everything else is much less. So I put Toyos back on my truck again.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

It's still apples and oranges unless you know the tire ratings for the guys getting high mileage.
Are they P rated, passenger car carcase regardless of what the tread looks like, or LT rated?
Within LT are different ply ratings to choose from depending on your usual load weight.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... ?techid=55
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I drive a lot of curves and hills going to and from work. I normally get around 35,000 on my truck even with good tires. For years my dad drove a nice interstate to and from work. He'd get double that easily.
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

Bridgestone Duelers on my Toyota Tundra and have gotten 62K miles (twice). At 130K miles, the Tundra is still running strong....hope to get 200K miles.

Dan

Dan
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Bridgestone Duelers are the ones I've gotten the least out of on my Z71 (35K) but 11 years old and they're still running strong on my trailer! Pretty sure I'm part Scotch.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

We live on flat land and drive a minimum of 20 miles a trip. S we don't tend to be hard on tires. We were Bravada junkies for a while, and with Michelin we got a minimum of 80K, changed one set at 115K because I thought they didn't handle in the rain well, still had ample legal tread. P/U 2500 duramax; Bridgestones gone at 35K, Replaced w /Michelin last year. Old Suburban '99 Goodrich gone at 32K 1 catastrophic, one shortly thereupon separated a belt. The Michelins that replaced them are at 110-120; daughter has truck now. Impala had super Goodyears 2 went 40 and the other 2 went 55K. Michelins still cooking very well with 60K. I always run about 1-3PSI over recommendations, watch tires carefully for any abnormal appearance or wear, rotate <10K and try not to drive over shoulders or other hazard areas. Needless to say Im fond of Michelins, and have used them since the 60's. I spent more than 25 Yrs in the more exciting import car service and became fond of them then. There are and have been better specific service tires, but like anything else you have to compromise on one aspect to excel in another.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I get 60k to 70k on mine, but I run them a little longer than I should. But I have also noticed it depends on your tread also. We have a more aggressive multi terrain tread on the Tahoe. We are lucky to get 40k if we do a lot highway driving with them.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I put 70,000 + on the last set of Michelens on the truck and expect to get that out of this set. Beats the old days all hollow.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BILLYDIXON
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BILLYDIXON »

I run BF Goodrich AT on my Jeep Cherokee. I bought one in 88 and put 3 sets of AT getting over 60K miles. My newer Jeep Cherokee 00 I'm on my 2nd set. My first set I put over 70K miles and I only had them rotated once. On my 77 GMC Jimmy I ran my favorite Armstrong Tru Tracs. I put 60k mile on those.
NRA Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life