Handloading .380

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Handloading .380

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Probably should have done a search for this topic first, but I am looking hard at the Lee 356-120-TC mold as a reasonable choice for a .380 bullet with some meplat and form that looks like it would feed in an LCP.
I know TedH and some of the fellas here reload for their .380s, so any advice on cast in the caliber -- and suitable powders or other advice -- would be most welcome.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Handloading .380

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Just poked around over on Cast Boolits and it looks like the Lee TL356-95-RF is a better choice for .380.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sounds weird , but when it comes to .380's -- i just let 'em fly . i buy 3 or 4 factory boxes of ammo, and i shoot a magazine or two out of each 380 i have (2 of them) every time i am at the range to maintain proficiency with the little beasts ,

but i lack the finger dexterity to deal with such a small case --- perhaps i should try it sometime though -- but at the rate i shoot, a few boxes of ammo seem to last me a loooong time

due to penetration issues , i use standard FMJ's and not more expensive defense oriented stuff
----- Doug
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doug, there is iron in your words. Some of us have a tendency to want to make things more complicated and expensive than need be ...

:oops:
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

Hi Bill,

I have used Oregon Trail's 95 grain cast lead round nose beveled base 0.356 inch bullet ahead of 2.9 grains of Bullseye and Winchester cases and primers. Overall cartridge length was 0.980 inch. Average muzzle velocity was 848 fps from a Walther PPK/S.

Good luck and reload carefully.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Yodar wrote:Hi Bill,

I have used Oregon Trail's 95 grain cast lead round nose beveled base 0.356 inch bullet ahead of 2.9 grains of Bullseye and Winchester cases and primers. Overall cartridge length was 0.980 inch. Average muzzle velocity was 848 fps from a Walther PPK/S.

Good luck and reload carefully.
With that kind of powder payload --- you could load a good deal of those critters with just one pound of powder for sure
----- Doug
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Those little cases are a bit of a pain to handle, but it's just as worthwhile to me to load 380's as any other cartridge. I shoot Ranch Dog's mold in mine, they are wide flat nose and come out 105 gr. There is load data on his site with suitable powders. I've found some of the data to be quite warm when compared to other manuals, so use your own judgment there. I like Unique, but there are a lot of other powders that will work just fine. After all the guns we are shooting aren't target pistols. All we need is a powder that's going to make it 100% reliable and spit the bullet out at a good velocity. I'm still wanting to do some more testing with that bullet in ballistic gel with some softer alloy and reduce the penetration a bit. Just need to make time to do it.

Bill if you want to try some of these Ranch Dog bullets I'd be happy to send you some to try. If you like them, I think NOE is cutting some of Ranch Dog's designs now.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Streetstar wrote:With that kind of powder payload --- you could load a good deal of those critters with just one pound of powder for sure
2,413 to be exact... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ted, appreciate your kind offer. Can you put up a photo of this bullet? I don't see anything close at the NOE site.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I load for my .380 'cause I want to be able to shoot a LOT out of my little Ruger, and sometimes my Colt Government model too, without breaking the bank.
2 loads that have worked for me in both guns are:
1. 125 gn cast RN over 2.7gn Unique.
2. 95gn RN cast over 3.0 gn WSL ( Winchester Superlite shotgun powder, which I happen to have 8 lbs. or so of laying around..)

I don't cast for my handgun calibers anymore. I buy bulk commercial bullets and shoot'em up at 25yds. and ( mostly) less.
Hope this helps.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Ted, appreciate your kind offer. Can you put up a photo of this bullet? I don't see anything close at the NOE site.
Sorry, I just went and looked over there, looks like they are just cutting Ranch Dog's rifle molds.

Here's Ranch Dog's drawing of the bullet.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TL3 ... sketch.jpg

It's the one on the left, with a black powder coat for lube.

NRA Life Member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

All my .380 loading experience is with jacketed bullets.............. can't help.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ted, that is a mighty handsome slug. PM sent.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

AJMD429 wrote:
Streetstar wrote:With that kind of powder payload --- you could load a good deal of those critters with just one pound of powder for sure
2,413 to be exact... :D

dived that by 2 for me cuz the other half would be on the floor
I have to draw the line with 38s

ollogger