Marlin 1894c Bullet Choices

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 1894c Bullet Choices

Post by kmittleman »

Hi all,

I just got a .357 lever from my father and was wondering which bullet types to avoid when handloading. I bought a load of Hornady LRN's but then thought twice about it before loading u a bunch.

Thanks in advance!

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Marlin 1894c Bullet Choices

Post by Blaine »

If they cycle/shoot/don't foul the bbl/accurate, there are no "bad" bullets.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kmittleman »

Well, I meant to say are they pointy enough to set off primers in the magazine?
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

kmittleman wrote:Well, I meant to say are they pointy enough to set off primers in the magazine?
:) Don't use them, unless you limit it to one in the mag, and one in the chamber...a two shot.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

There ARE some round nose that I find pointy enough not to use in a tubular magazine. Others, I have no problem with, my favorite is the Saeco # 390. http://www.redding-reloading.com/online ... lds-charts Look at the middle chart. Anything more point than that bullet, I won't use it in a levergun.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bottom line is - the only ones of us who really KNOW how pointy is 'too-pointy', are likely to have some missing fingers.

If the nose is smaller than the primer diameter, I avoid it in rifles that have much recoil. The problem there is what is 'much'. I haven't ever shot a 357 Mag load in a levergun that seemed to move the gun much, vs. say a 44 Mag or 454 Casull hot load in a short carbine.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Test show that if one does go off you likely wouldn't be missing fingers. .38s I don't worry about EXCEPT don't use wadcutters. Now hot .357s, I'd be wary but I use FPs or HPs anyway.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

You have the bullets, you presumably have access to cases with primers installed, look at what you have & see for yourself.
Put a bullet nose to a primer in a case & go from there.

Hard for anybody here to say for sure without seeing what you have. :)
Denis
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I shot buckets full of round nose bullets through my rifle in both mild and full house magnum loads and still have all my fingers.
I would probably be a little bit nervous if I was doing it with full jacket stuff but I figure that lead would flatten before a primer would dent. I no longer have that mold so there's no chance that I might prove my theory wrong in future.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

We got to Hell On Wheels, SASS Regional, in Wyoming one year, a day after a shooter detonated his Uberti rifle magazine using lead-only bullets.

He was experienced, never had a problem previously with his loads, certainly did that day.
Went to the hospital for treatment of his front arm, but wasn't a major injury.

The point is that it's the point that's the point, not the material. :)
Lead can touch off a primer ahead of it, even under the recoil of mild powder charges.

If your bullet point is small enough & pointy enough to fit inside the primer cup in the case, it CAN be a potential problem.
If the bullet tip is wide enough to be held off the primer by the case material surrounding the primer pocket, you're OK.
Denis