Remember this rifle? It Looks a bit different now.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Remember this rifle? It Looks a bit different now.

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I posted about my .35 Whelen 1895 Browning a while back. I have been doing a bit of work to it, but it takes me a long time to do my own stuff, unfortunately.

I changed sights, installed a better buttplate, refinished the stock, and reshaped the ugly square-front schnabel forend.

Here is what it looked like before:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Re: Remember this rifle? It Looks a bit different now.

Post by 7.62 Precision »

New look:

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

excellent job!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is a very pretty rifle.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

very nice.
I hope that you take much game with it.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Nice job!

What is the knife in the second photo of your first post?

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

:D Looks great ! Big improvement on the forend. Did you have to grind a lot on that butt plate? I was planning on replacing the one on my Browning also but it wasn't easy to find one of the correct dimensions.

You must of shimmed the locking lever on the sight to be indexed like that. I just installed one on my 1895 last week and worked on some 35 Win loads this weekend. The Speer 220 grains patterned the best so far. How does it shoot?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wow, what an inspiring makeover. Really love your forend treatment. I have on hand the Williams 71 rear sight for my 95 when it comes this week, but boy, those Providence sights are handsome. May just have to have one.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

beauty. I like the stock color, how did you do that?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Excellent :mrgreen:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

First class job........ I like what you did to the forend too........ :)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

Nice outfit!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Sweet!! :mrgreen: .
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

thanks for the photos - it was well worth the wait.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Now that's what I call improvement! I have a Browning 1895 in .30-40 Krag, and have never liked how plain the buttplate looks. I very much like that checkered steel buttplate you installed; it's much better looking, as is the forend schnabel. I also like your screw-in sight aperture. I thought about drilling out and tapping the aperture hole on my Providence sight, but was concerned the metal might not be thick enough. You have inspired me to consider your improvements for my own rifle. Thanks for posting!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Nice job!

It looks like the front sight is now dovetailed into the barrel, do you still have the old front sight? Could it be had?

I had a local 'smith order me one, when I went back to get it, he had sold it to someone else and never get me another one.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

crs wrote:very nice.
I hope that you take much game with it.
Me too!
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Very nice!!!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Blackhawk wrote: What is the knife in the second photo of your first post?
Denny Knives custom: http://762precision.wordpress.com/produ ... ing-knife/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

BenT wrote::D Looks great ! Big improvement on the forend. Did you have to grind a lot on that butt plate? I was planning on replacing the one on my Browning also but it wasn't easy to find one of the correct dimensions.
The buttplate is a cast repro, so it isn't perfect, especially in the checkering. A real one, would be a bit nicer.

I had to take quite a bit off of the bottom end. I bought the plate as a replacement for an ugly recoil pad on a Winchester 71 (it was advertised for that rifle) but it turned out to thin to fit, so it has been lying around.
I think an original Winchester model 70 buttplate would work well (which is what this one was probably cast from) since the model 70 stocks were usually a little fatter and taller at the buttplate.

I used the existing bottom screw hole, the top has to be at an angle, so I redrilled it. I scribed the curve of the buttplate on the stock on each side and used a spindle sander to rough out the curve on the buttstock. I fit the stock to the plate, and then screwed the plate on and scribed a line on it. Then I ground and sanded the plate to the line, placed the stock on the rifle, and sanded them both together to a perfect fit, so you cannot feel an edge between the stock and the buttplate.

The spur at the top is a pain to fit. I think it adds to the look, and makes the job look professional, but if you mess it up, it wouldn't be good, as it would take a lot of work to fix. If you don't want to bother with it, fitting the buttplate would take half the time, and you can just grind it off when you flatten the back of the buttplate prior to fitting.
BenT wrote:You must of shimmed the locking lever on the sight to be indexed like that.
The sight comes with the two pointers, one thiner than the other. Just choose whichever gets you closest to the orientation you like, and if you want the lever lower than it lands, sand the pointer thinner until you get the desired orientation.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Bill in Oregon wrote: . . . boy, those Providence sights are handsome. May just have to have one.
I think I might case color this sight at some point.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

7.62 Precision wrote:
Bill in Oregon wrote: . . . boy, those Providence sights are handsome. May just have to have one.
I think I might case color this sight at some point.
You can't beat the price on them either. $152 shipped and includes a 11-36 tap and the proper drill bit for the locking lever hole.
I'm going to install my Pattern 21 sight on my 1895 Whelen this week. I'm waiting on some brass black I ordered to darken the pointer some.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Grizz wrote:beauty. I like the stock color, how did you do that?
The stock color is very easy. I use Tapadera's stain. This was the N-35 red.

The stain is very easy to use and you have very good control over it. I put a couple coats of oil on first, and then wipe on the stain. How many times you apply the stain determines how dark it is. It is a very good match for the original Winchester stocks, and can be used to touch up the original stocks.

Once the stain drys for a day, I just continue the oil finish. This one was Tung oil, because I didn't have any of the correct linseed oil at the moment.

If you want it to go dark, you can apply it to the raw wood before your first application of oil, but it is slightly harder to control if you do, and it will be very dark very quickly.

http://www.tapaderaswinchesters.com/stain.html
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Do you still have the original front sight base from the '95?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Shasta wrote:Now that's what I call improvement! I have a Browning 1895 in .30-40 Krag, and have never liked how plain the buttplate looks. I very much like that checkered steel buttplate you installed; it's much better looking, as is the forend schnabel. I also like your screw-in sight aperture. I thought about drilling out and tapping the aperture hole on my Providence sight, but was concerned the metal might not be thick enough. You have inspired me to consider your improvements for my own rifle. Thanks for posting!
This one came drilled and tapped from Providence Tool Company, and I bought the aperture from them. I would call or email them as see if you can buy just the drilled and tapped aperture, it might be worth saving the hassle, or you may prefer to do it yourself. When you consider the cost of a good bit, taps, tap handle, etc, if you don't have them already, it might be cost effective, too.

Providence Tool Company is very responsive and helpful.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Malamute wrote:Nice job!

It looks like the front sight is now dovetailed into the barrel, do you still have the old front sight? Could it be had?

I had a local 'smith order me one, when I went back to get it, he had sold it to someone else and never get me another one.
It is a Lyman 17 Globe sight. I don't have the old one, but I can check with the guy who has it and see if he ever used it or not. Otherwise, let me check around a bit and see if I can find one. I know I can find he Winchester sight with the brass blade easily enough, I will have to see if I can find the Browing sight. You need the sight and the base?
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

vancelw wrote:
You can't beat the price on them either. $152 shipped and includes a 11-36 tap and the proper drill bit for the locking lever hole.
I'm going to install my Pattern 21 sight on my 1895 Whelen this week. I'm waiting on some brass black I ordered to darken the pointer some.
Cold blue will blacken brass as well.

On this pointer I used Brownell's Oxpho blue lightly so that it would be darker, but not a deep black. I just masked the pointer tip with tape to keep it bright. If I wanted the pointer to stay very bright I would clear coat it, or it can be left to get a slight natural patina and become duller.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Actually, I'm trying to come close to the extra-light front ramp look, but the '95 sights aren't too bad looking. If starting from scratch, it may be worth trying to find a front ramp from an 86 extra-light. I haven't dedicated time to look and see if anyone has them. I'd use it on a couple rifles if I could get them, but finances have been poor for projects lately. I'd do a couple 94's and a 71 with that type front ramp, I really don't like the ramp that comes on 71's or the post war 94's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Malamute on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Malamute wrote:Actually, I'm trying to come close to the extra-light front ramp look . . .
That was an elegant sight. The best way might be to make one from an existing ramp.
One issue I had with the Browning 1895 front sight was that it was very thin and delicate and likely to get bent with hard use.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

That occurred to me. I would have made a sourdough type blade for it, but it was a fairly thin blade. The '95 front would have looked good on a shortened '03 Springfield semi-sporter. Shortened military wood shaped similar to a Krag carbine, band moved back an inch or two, A-3 upper wood, shortened to just past the band, Lyman receiver sight, 22" barrel.

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Malamute wrote: . . . a shortened '03 Springfield semi-sporter. Shortened military wood shaped similar to a Krag carbine, band moved back an inch or two, A-3 upper wood, shortened to just past the band, Lyman receiver sight, 22" barrel.
That is a rifle I need to see a photo of.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It's a slow project for the time being, I have most of the parts, but the stock needs to be bedded properly. To move the band back a little, one of the channels inside the forend need to be filled, and the band spring moved back. Shape may be more reminiscent of a Winchester 95 saddle ring carbine. Krags had several variants, some look a bit long, some look a bit short proportionally. Was going to use a med-low Williams Shorty front ramp, but the '95 front would look nicer.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That sure gave it a classy old school look. Not that they look bad as they come from the factory but when your accustomed to the "old look", the way you did it is nice.

I too, was going to ask about the stain. Is it alcohol based? I use a similar stain that like yours, is easy to control. It's called Chestnut Ridge and is alcohol based.One light coat is perfect for Winchesters and two will make an M-1 Garand look like it left the arsenal yesterday.

The oil that's my favorite is Formbys and is easy to use. The Arrow wood finish gives a better look but is not as "idiot proof".-----6

Model A Uzi’s
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Outstanding work! Love the Pattern 21 Sight too.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Malamute wrote:It's a slow project for the time being, I have most of the parts, but the stock needs to be bedded properly. To move the band back a little, one of the channels inside the forend need to be filled, and the band spring moved back. Shape may be more reminiscent of a Winchester 95 saddle ring carbine. Krags had several variants, some look a bit long, some look a bit short proportionally. Was going to use a med-low Williams Shorty front ramp, but the '95 front would look nicer.
That is going to look very nice. I see these rifles from time to time with poorly, slightly sporterized stocks. Your idea sounds like a great way to make it look really good and seem "right" for the rifle. It's bound to be a good look.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Sixgun wrote:That sure gave it a classy old school look. Not that they look bad as they come from the factory but when your accustomed to the "old look", the way you did it is nice.
I too, was going to ask about the stain. Is it alcohol based? I use a similar stain that like yours, is easy to control. It's called Chestnut Ridge and is alcohol based.One light coat is perfect for Winchesters and two will make an M-1 Garand look like it left the arsenal yesterday.
The oil that's my favorite is Formbys and is easy to use. The Arrow wood finish gives a better look but is not as "idiot proof".-----6
The stain is alcohol-based. You don't want to mess with water-based stain, and oil-based stains are a disaster, since they don't allow a proper finish.

I used Formby's Tung oil on this stock, and it works very well and is easy to use. I won't touch Tru-Oil or any oil stain-type finish, and the Danish oils and modern "Boiled Linseed Oils" are not as good as Tung. The old-time BLOs are probably better than Tung, and you can get some specialty raw Linseed oils today that are good (basically the same as the BLO of the past), but they are tougher to get and Hazmat makes it a pain for me up here.

From what I have found, Formby's Tung is the best of the oils you can buy at the local hardware store, at least for stock finishes.
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Classy all the way!!!!

ollogger
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Malamute wrote:Actually, I'm trying to come close to the extra-light front ramp look . . .
Just noticed that the front sight on the Remington Model 8 is similar, but a bit taller, not quite as nicely sculpted.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

wow...that's more than amazing... :)
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

That's a great looking rifle. It's my idea of the perfect deep woods elk and bear rifle.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

That is lovely.
You did a very nice job and that is such a great calibre to have an 1895 in.
I am jealous.
Well done.
Pop.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks for the reply 7.62. :D ----6
Model A Uzi’s
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Very impressive work and photography
It is not the critic who counts
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Very nice sir. That 95 has just the right look now.
Even better is that you did it yourself. That rifle will always mean more to you because of that.

By the way, excellent job fitting the top of that buttplate.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Picked up my .405 Winroku takedown today. Yours is sure a lot prettier!
Lacking any gunsmithing skills, I will find a prefit Limbsaver sissy pad. The smooth steel factory plate just slides off my shoulder like it was greased, and I could use a bit more length of pull.
RIP, John Browning; another ingenious design we are loving in the 21st century.

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Picked up my .405 Winroku takedown today. Yours is sure a lot prettier!
Lacking any gunsmithing skills, I will find a prefit Limbsaver sissy pad. The smooth steel factory plate just slides off my shoulder like it was greased, and I could use a bit more length of pull.
RIP, John Browning; another ingenious design we are loving in the 21st century.

What a nice rifle, and a great caliber!

I would pick up something like a Pachmyr Old English pad or something similar and have someone skilled install it. The $60 or $100 you spend will be with it in the long run, as it will look much nicer than the pre-fit ones do.

Or, if you have the equipment, buy a jig to set the angles and fit it yourself. I am an amateur when it comes to recoil pad installation, and I don't like to do them, but I can do a pretty good job on my own, especially with the right tools.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Bill in Oregon wrote:
Bill,
I can hear that 405 screaming 3000 miles away for this 300 grain cast GC traveling 1600 for all day shooting pleasure for pennies. :D -----6
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Sixgun, whose mold is that? Good looking slugs!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

By the way, those of you with the Lyman 17 globe sights, what inserts do you prefer for hunting? I have the inserts that came with the sight from Lyman and the Lee Shaver inserts.