Got first levergun, but I have a problem...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TerminalLance80
Levergunner

Got first levergun, but I have a problem...

Post by TerminalLance80 »

So my grandfather gave me his Winchester 94 .30-30. According to him it was manufactured in the early 80's. It's in great physical condition and I'd love to shoot it, but it will not feed rounds from the magazine tube to the chamber. When I pull down the lever the round comes into position to be loaded in the chamber but I cant close the lever to load the round. It just jams up at that point. I can load rounds one at a time and it fires just fine.

My Grandfather said he believes its the follower, but was unable to fix it himself. Any ideas on what it might be? Is this common with is model? I'm hoping it is something I can fix myself and not have to take to a gunsmith unless I have too. Thanks.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got first levergun, but I have a problem...

Post by C. Cash »

Welcome! Don't know the answer to your question but some one will be along shortly.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Does the carrier (often called a lifter) snap up on its forward end to raise the nose of the cartridge? It should do so when the lever reaches its forward most point, and snap up crisply.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Assuming from your post you are not very familiar with leverguns, I will say that the gun may have a problem, but...

Before doing anything else, apply just a bit of oil to the moving parts you can reach and, unloaded, work the action several times vigorously to spread it around. Now, put a round in the mag and work the action --again, vigorously! Lever-actions don't like babying, and many a rifle that will jam like crazy when worked in a leisurely fashion will shuck slickly if you work the lever like you mean it.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the forum ! !

If the lubing doesn't cure the lifter issue, you might have to partially desassemble the rifle for a close peek at the lifter mechanism.

If you go to our stickey's (above), or to the Leverguns Articles (off our home page - http://www.leverguns.com ), there are picture tutorials on what to do.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Clean, oil, try again, smartly operating the lever. Doesn't work? Come back here and report.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TerminalLance80
Levergunner

I will get to work and see what happens.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'll be the odd man out on the working the lever smartly. All mine have worked perfectly no matter how slowly the lever was run. If it requires running it sharply to work, something is wrong.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Factory ammo or some one's reloads?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The feed guides on the in side sides of the receiver....check their fixings are snug.
The following round from the magazine should not enter the receiver until the lever is fully closed.
If it is entering early the cartridge stop has snapped or worn off the lower floor plate.
You mentioned the cartridge is starting to enter the chamber....if so the carrier is fine (I think).

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What's the length of the ammo being run? Leverguns are length sensitive. If it's factory .30-30 ammo, it should be fine... but... one never knows until you've measured.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Malamute wrote:I'll be the odd man out on the working the lever smartly. All mine have worked perfectly no matter how slowly the lever was run. If it requires running it sharply to work, something is wrong.
Good point but smartly can help diagnosis.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would bet that we're not getting all the information. We never do. Same at the shop. I do the same when I take my vehicles in for something if I don't know what's going on and it is due to ignorance of the subject.
Sincerely,

Hobie

TerminalLance80
Levergunner

They were my grandfathers handloads. I went and bought some factory ammo, I also brokedown what I could and cleaned and lubed. The rounds are loading just fine. I will have to bring the old rounds to his house and measure their OAL, but I'm sure that was the problem. It was also stored in a humid attic for years, which probably didn't help.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

TerminalLance80 wrote:They were my grandfathers handloads. I went and bought some factory ammo, I also brokedown what I could and cleaned and lubed. The rounds are loading just fine. I will have to bring the old rounds to his house and measure their OAL, but I'm sure that was the problem. It was also stored in a humid attic for years, which probably didn't help.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
You're welcome! It could be that bullet shape contributed, as some of us "ol' timers" would have some spire points to load singly as our 1st round. While not safe in a tubular magazine, the few extra points of BC might make the difference on an otherwise marginal shot.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!