Refugee from New York

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Refugee from New York

Post by jnyork »

Our club has a regular Monday afternoon .22 rimfire benchrest match, we usually get about 30 shooters. Club is located in Lander, WY. Last night, a new shooter was introduced, he being from upper New York state, Pokipsee(?) or something like that. Anyway, I was amused to hear several of the other shooters tell him in no uncertain terms he was welcome as long as he didn't bring New York with him, or try to turn Wyoming into New York like so many do. He was adamant that he left New York specifically due to 1. Draconian gun laws and 2. Draconian property taxes. Chatted with him a little, he is a real gun guy and it looks like he will be a good addition to our group.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Refugee from New York

Post by piller »

Sounds as if you have one of the good ones. We have 86er around here, and he is originally from New York, Long Island---I think, but he is as good a person as you are likely to meet. Don't get to thinking that everyone from any state is all the same.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I think us westerners will see more of that as the more analytical ones come to the conclusion that the only way to deal with the situation is to leave to the sheeple who like it like that.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

+
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

For one right off the bat, in Arkansaw you can own as many handguns and longguns as you can afford without a CCW and it is a SHALL issue state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

JerryB wrote:For one right off the bat, in Arkansaw you can own as many handguns and longguns as you can afford without a CCW and it is a SHALL issue state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jerry,
Can you please post a piece of real estate with current great roads, right off interstate that even remotely comes close to above property.
ps-- I will now get off this thread cause of getting off original discussion and knowing when its time to jump ship. See at least I am trying. :lol:
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue May 27, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Why should he?
The subject matter of this post is not real estate?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mescalero wrote:Why should he?
The subject matter of this post is not real estate?
I posted above update at same time yours posted. Meaning I took action hit enter before knowing you posted.Notice post times.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

In the long list of bad things NY leads the country in, a fleeing population is among them.
People are leaving in droves. Or rather I should say, they're being driving away.
Slow is just slow.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I sincerely hope that should I finally get to leave California and get to America that if I have a California relapes someone kicks it right out of me!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Poughkeepsie (say: pah-kipski), NY is town surrounding a city (Town of Poughkeepsie & the City of Poughkeepsie) on the East bank of the Hudson River, about 35 miles from West Point Military Academy (on the West bank), and about 70 miles North of NYC.

Nice folks, lousey politicians (NYS, i.e.)

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

JerryB wrote:For one right off the bat, in Arkansaw you can own as many handguns and longguns as you can afford without a CCW and it is a SHALL issue state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes, and now if we can just get the darned dems out of office, maybe we can have open carry, too.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Wyoming has both open and concealed carry, WITHOUT a permit.. Taxes are nearly the lowest in the nation, as is violent crime rate.. "Interstates" in the immediate vicinity are more of a curse than a blessing, because they are universally corridors for crime..

don't get me wrong.. i've been all over NYs, and it holds some beautiful country, with great hunting -- if you can get access...

On the other hand, NYS is full of New Yorkers, most of whom glare down their noses (a la MM4570) at the poor, benighted rubes out here in what he/they consider the untamed hinterlands.. Unfortunately, most eastern transplants bring an awful lot of "home" with them when they come here, and some get downright put out when we don't take their ill-mannered advice about how we should live out here..

It's always a cautious pleasure though, to meet a truly sentient easterner, who comes out here to immers himself in our lifestyle, rather than preach his own to us content and happy savages...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

If the NY guy shoots wolves he's probably OK. If he don't bellyache about county P&Z and shoots wolves/coyotes/rattlers with a lever gun he's better then OK.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I grew up a few mountains south east of Poughkeepsie and left as soon as i was done with school...
Most of the people in the rural areas are fine....its the city slickers that screw everything up!
Now they are all moving down here!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yeah Buck,
But that accent is just SO hard to listen to.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Some of the friendliest, most personable people I'm met have been from all parts of this nation. Same could be said of the most UNfriendliest, rude people. No place has a monopoly on either type.

I've enjoyed the scenery of rural NYS, and the museums and theatres of NYC. And while I wouldn't want to live there... (rural or NYC), I could say the same of some places out west, down south or even up north, we all make our choices based on a variety of factors. Some of which make no sense to others.

But... to each their own.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You know if I moved to a western state and tried to be friendly and some snarky dudes got in my face telling me not to bring my previous state with me, I'd have to become UNfriendly right quick.

I totally understand their attitude, but geeze guys, have some tact.

Also, I cannot stand any state east of say, oh Texas. Too darn green. Ugh!
Give me the desert, wide open places and forests of the west where a body can roam and breath.

In the forests, (well little woods really, there isn't any big forests in IL) around here you can't see 20 feet in front of your face unless you're on a road. Talk about claustrophobic. :shock:

I might be where I am, but I'm not really here. :?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Buck Elliott wrote:Wyoming has both open and concealed carry, WITHOUT a permit.. Taxes are nearly the lowest in the nation, as is violent crime rate.. "Interstates" in the immediate vicinity are more of a curse than a blessing, because they are universally corridors for crime..

don't get me wrong.. i've been all over NYs, and it holds some beautiful country, with great hunting -- if you can get access...

On the other hand, NYS is full of New Yorkers, most of whom glare down their noses (a la MM4570) at the poor, benighted rubes out here in what he/they consider the untamed hinterlands.. Unfortunately, most eastern transplants bring an awful lot of "home" with them when they come here, and some get downright put out when we don't take their ill-mannered advice about how we should live out here..

It's always a cautious pleasure though, to meet a truly sentient easterner, who comes out here to immers himself in our lifestyle, rather than preach his own to us content and happy savages...
Thanks for the heads up Buck, now I know where not to visit or possibly move. Proves the lie of how you and others out west present yourselves as warm and nice people. You sound just like the Citi-idots, we have here.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

jnyork wrote:Our club has a regular Monday afternoon .22 rimfire benchrest match, we usually get about 30 shooters. Club is located in Lander, WY. Last night, a new shooter was introduced, he being from upper New York state, Pokipsee(?) or something like that. Anyway, I was amused to hear several of the other shooters tell him in no uncertain terms he was welcome as long as he didn't bring New York with him, or try to turn Wyoming into New York like so many do. He was adamant that he left New York specifically due to 1. Draconian gun laws and 2. Draconian property taxes. Chatted with him a little, he is a real gun guy and it looks like he will be a good addition to our group.
I was working in Poughkeepsie the other day. What a dump, would be a good place to test nerve agents. Hyde Park, which borders Poughkeepsie, is so full of the subaru driving commies it just makes me sick. They go there to worship FDR's wifes hometown, and where his presidential library is.

20 years ago it was a nice state to live, but it's totally out of control now, in a few years I plan to retire and get out of here.

Steve
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Always makes me wonder... If things were so great where they came from, and their system worked so well, why did they feel the need to leave..?

If I wanted to live the way Eastern big-city folks live, I'd move to an eastern big city. Actually, we get pressure from both coasts, as refugees flee the things they instinctively hate, only to drag that same mentality with them, because that is what they know.. Sad.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

SteveR is one of the ones I talked about in my post, capable of independent thought.
He understands his enviroment has changed, and not to his liking.
Unable to change that more to his liking, he must change his location.
Come out west Steve, I will show you how to find gold. :D
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

A favorite bumper sticker around Pinedale is. "My Wyoming has an east infection" .. Coming from Michigan 24 years ago, I tried not to add to anyone's grief..just blend in..even bought a cowboy hat..
My thought is this: If you have the means to get out of NY or Commifornia or any other state with tyrannical govt. and instead choose to remain in your "comfort zone".. May your chains rest lightly..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Property values/costs have little or nothing to do with anything. Even CA has cheap land, in some places, as every state I've been in has. Haven't been to NY for 30 years, and see no reason to go back. I breezed through New Jersey once. But I lived in CA for many years and was fortunate enough to escape just 5 years ago. The main reason I left is the politics. Voting is of little value as if anyone disagrees with the majority they just drag the law into court and either tie it up for years or has the popular vote repealed. The majority of voters in CA reside in Los Angeles, San Francisco/Oakland, and Sacramento (can't really include San Diego because it's just part of Mexico) and real life, common sense doesn't have a chance. I too resent anyone bringing "CA Dreaming" to Oregon, as it only fits big cities and concrete...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

When I visited the USA our tour guide asked all us Brits who had not been America before, why did we choose Arizona and not New York? The answer from us all was, we wanted to see some of the real beauty of America not just some BIG city.

Tourists flock to London but fail to see the real Britain, there's not much of it but like New York City , London is not representative of the whole country, even if Londoners think it is :roll: and so just like Barry I would love to visit all 57 states........ :lol:
Last edited by gamekeeper on Wed May 28, 2014 11:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Les Staley wrote:A favorite bumper sticker around Pinedale is. "My Wyoming has an east infection" .. Coming from Michigan 24 years ago, I tried not to add to anyone's grief..just blend in..even bought a cowboy hat..
My thought is this: If you have the means to get out of NY or Commifornia or any other state with tyrannical govt. and instead choose to remain in your "comfort zone".. May your chains rest lightly..
Les I used to live in Big Piney until moving to the east side of the state.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

game keeper wrote:When I visited the USA our tour guide asked all us Brits who had not been America before, why did we choose Arizona and not New York? The answer from us all was, we wanted to see some of the real beauty of America not just some BIG city.

Tourists flock to London but fail to see the real Britain, there's not much of it but like New York City , London is not representative of the whole country, even if Londoners think it is :roll: and so just like Barry I would love to visit all 57 states........ :lol:
With the exception of two days spent in London wandering about whilst my sister attended a dance clinic in Leicester, I/we spent most of our holiday running around Brittan on a BritRail pass and stayed out of the City.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Two days is about all I could take too....
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Some people get the rural west, and many do not. Even some who grew up here in what passes for cities don't get it.

Some transplants - like myself, decades ago - seem to fit right in as soon as they show up and get along with everyone they meet.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

+
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree with Buck 100%.
We have that problem here too. Clark Co. Washington is the fastest growing county in the state. It is fast becoming the bedroom for Portland Oregon.
The rest seem to be coming in from California. They want to change everything here to make it just like that hell hole they just escaped from. That makes no sense to me at all. Does a man who just got out of prison put bars on the windows to make it feel more like home??? :? :? :?
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I finished high school in NY. My parents lived there for years afterward.

They bought 400 acres with two barns, two houses, a couple silos, etc. for $56K. It had been for sale at that price for 6 years, and had been for sale at a higher price for a number of years previous.

By the time they paid it off (pretty quickly) they had payed more in taxes than the price of the land.

By the time they left they had over 1,000 acres and another huge house with the barns and buildings that went with it. There are reasons that some places have cheap property.

New York had nothing to offer me. I left as soon as I was done with high school.

If you have truly tasted freedom, it is torture to live in a place where every aspect of your life is controlled and regulated, where no one can live a day without breaking some law.

New York has . . .
. . . one of the worst education systems in the country. Oh, they claim it is the best and brag about test scores. But they dumb it down to get the scores. They teach lies and agendas (the caribou in Alaska all die because they can't migrate past the pipeline, with photos of reindeer standing next to a big culvert pipe laying on the ground to prove it; the civil war started in NY [John Brown lived there]; One of the most important Civil War battles occurred in NY [draft riots]; lots more . . .
I had a teacher ask me if we spoke American in Alaska. I had another ask me what kind of money we used.
I had to work for Cs and Bs in Alaska, and had to work hard for As. In NY, I could get straight As without trying.
Most 18-year-old kids in NY remind me of 14-year-old kids elsewhere in their maturity.

. . . .some of the rudest, some of the most backwards, and some of the most inbred people I have ever found, depending on the region in NY. There are also some great people there, just like anywhere, there are just overriding cultures that are difficult to stomach.

. . . an ingrained welfare culture. When I was there and afterward, most people moving into the area my parents lived in were people from places like CA moving there to be on the very liberal NY welfare system. Over 75% of the county I lived in was on welfare at the time I lived there. In school, kids about to graduate were very open and unashamed of their life goals of living on welfare. They knew exactly how much money they would make, the benefits they would receive, etc. They came from second, third, and fourth generation welfare families.

. . . a set of laws ranging from invasive to totalitarian governing every aspect of life, from where you can park your tractor on your own property to who you can sell milk to if you are a dairy farmer. Your right to self-defense is so limited by law as to be almost nonexistent. Even owning a pistol is out of the question for many people. I didn't even bother to hunt there usually because hunting was so restricted. Firearm laws are so convoluted and confusing that even lawyers argue about what the laws actually require, and tax laws are worse. You can hardly go through a day there without breaking some law, and running a business or farm there basically requires breaking laws, just to function. When you outlaw everything, you create an entire criminal class out of otherwise honest people just trying to live their lives. This breeds an attitude of lawlessness and disrespect for laws that spreads into all areas of life. People raised in NY tend to disregard the law anywhere they go.

. . . a lot of conservative people who have no voice because they are outvoted by the big cities. There is a problem though - the average conservative person in NY is now a moderate liberal. So when even the conservative people leave NY, they take with them their liberal midst. They expect the people in the places they go to to conform to their values and views. There are a few people who truly have conservative values, but not many.

New York bleeds the best of its people and keeps the worst. When I finished high school, I left. There was nothing that would have kept me there, but I was not from there, and I knew a better life. However, the handful of friends I made there, who were the best and most promising kids in the area, the ones who worked to educate themselves, the ones who had plans and ambitions, those kids are gone. They all left the state. They went to places that offer opportunity and freedom.

So I am split on what I think of conservative people leaving NY. On one hand, every conservative that leave the state is one less person opposing the snowballing movement toward a totalitarian progressive socialist society.

I don't like to see the sort-of-conservative or liberal people from NY moving into more free areas of the country to get away from the oppressive NY laws, onlyto try to bring the same laws and attitudes into the places they emigrate to.

On the other hand, having lived in that state myself, I could never tell anyone that they should stay if they do not want to - I did not.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We get idiots from the coast who come to Indianapolis for the low cost of living (then want to raise taxes and increase regulation), and the low crime rate (then want to pass more gun control laws), and then out in the boonies, we get city-idiots who move out here for the even-lower cost of living (then want to raise taxes and increase regulations), and the low crime rate (then object to seeing neighbors walk down their 1/4 mile driveway to get the mail, with an 'assault weapon' slung over their shoulder).

Idiots are everywhere though, not just New York. They've taken over the Democrat party (which subsidizes babies-without-fathers) and Republican party (which subsidizes drug-dealers), so the only way out is a 'third party', which everyone seems to say is a bad thing, because it would take votes away from the 'Mainstream' R or D party. Like that matters...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

7.62 Precision wrote:So I am split on what I think of conservative people leaving NY. On one hand, every conservative that leave the state is one less person opposing the snowballing movement toward a totalitarian progressive socialist society.

I don't like to see the sort-of-conservative or liberal people from NY moving into more free areas of the country to get away from the oppressive NY laws, onlyto try to bring the same laws and attitudes into the places they emigrate to.

On the other hand, having lived in that state myself, I could never tell anyone that they should stay if they do not want to - I did not.
THIS is an interesting concept and one I've been watching. Too bad it is happening in the midst of East Coast socialism. http://freestateproject.org/

Here's the internet-radio show I listen to that is semi-related (from Keene, NH) - http://www.freetalklive.com/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

+
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

SteveR wrote: Thanks for the heads up Buck, now I know where not to visit or possibly move. Proves the lie of how you and others out west present yourselves as warm and nice people. You sound just like the Citi-idots, we have here.
I would argue that it proves that even warm and nice people out west are being forced to take a stand for their values and fight against an influx of people trying to benefit from the advantages of the society (built and maintained by generations of those warm, nice people) yet determined to convert the society to that which they escaped from, whether LA or NYC, or even rural areas of the more liberal states.

It is becoming an increasing problem, and I will say that if someone is happy to move somewhere and accept the state for what it is, and fit into the culture, that is great. If someone comes to my state and tries to turn it into NY or CA, I will tell him in the warmest and nicest way to go home.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I do have a degree, and I agree with 7.62 precision,
having gone to schools in different states, it is different.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

7.62 Precision wrote:
SteveR wrote: Thanks for the heads up Buck, now I know where not to visit or possibly move. Proves the lie of how you and others out west present yourselves as warm and nice people. You sound just like the Citi-idots, we have here.
I would argue that it proves that even warm and nice people out west are being forced to take a stand for their values and fight against an influx of people trying to benefit from the advantages of the society (built and maintained by generations of those warm, nice people) yet determined to convert the society to that which they escaped from, whether LA or NYC, or even rural areas of the more liberal states.

It is becoming an increasing problem, and I will say that if someone is happy to move somewhere and accept the state for what it is, and fit into the culture, that is great. If someone comes to my state and tries to turn it into NY or CA, I will tell him in the warmest and nicest way to go home.
Yeah, I think that is it exactly.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Mescalero wrote:I do have a degree, and I agree with 7.62 precision,
having gone to schools in different states, it is different.
Same here
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

madman4570 wrote: Just curious do you have a college degree?
Yes, and I teach college English, as well as other courses. I also have a non-regents diploma from NYS and was informed that with that diploma I could not attend college. Funny thing is, I went to college on an academic scholarship, and I scored 100% on the NYS American History Regents test and 96% on the NYS English 12 Regents test, despite the fact that I did not take the regents class for either - taking AP classes instead.

I will argue that a degree means little in many cases and some of the smartest and most capable people I have ever met did not have a college degree, nor did they need it.
madman4570 wrote: I wonder where you come up with the teachers being stupid ???
I never said that. I said the education system is poor. Two of the best teachers I ever had were in NY. One was from Georgia, the other from Upstate NY. Both hated and fought the NY education system. A few other teachers were from out of state and were decent teachers, the rest were from NY and ranged from being OK to clearly being products of the NY education system. When teachers ask me if we speak American in AK or what money we use, what am I supposed to think about them? When they do not know where Alaska is or that we are part of the US, what should I think about them? You tell me.

Stupid is not the same as ignorant. Stupid can't be fixed. There is no excuse for ignorance.
madman4570 wrote: Tell you why that is extremely strange, They are recruited from all over the United Stated and have one of the most rigorous stringent testing to be NYS certified.
I am well aware of NYS's "stringent rigorous testing." I'm not impressed.
madman4570 wrote: Example, in Pa,Florida,Virginia,South Carolina,etc. A person that is lets this time say a Special Ed teacher can study and take MUCH EASIER testing to become that State certified.Meaning that guy could study few months take the easy testing and say teach HS Math. :lol:

In NYS you have to have a 4 year Teaching degree IN THAT DISCIPLINE WITH A MASTERS DEGREE TO BE COMPLETED WITHIN 5 years from hire.
Dude, telling me their ignorant compared to other including Alaska---maybe only some special place only where you grew up.
Remember when the first Bush talked about his 100 points of light stuff? He ran a program by which the US government evaluated the high schools across the country for the best academics. They chose the best 100 schools in the nation and then the best 10 out of those to be recognized. My high school in Alaska was one of the 10, and we sent student representatives to DC to have dinner with the president and receive the award.

Of course, you are obviously quite ignorant about Alaska, and quick to view it through your own preconceived notions, much like most New Yorkers I have met. What do you know about the education system in this state?

By the way, the English teacher in me came out and I did a quickly proofread your post. I highlighted some of the errors. When you can communicate coherently in the English language, or even explain to me why I highlighted the text I highlighted, you can talk to me about the NY education system.
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Wed May 28, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

While I worked at Weaver( my last year ) I loaned my Starrett calipers to someone, sure enough he got a chip in them and chipped a gear.
I knew I was going on vacation to see my paternal grandmother, and we had planned a day trip to Walden Pond.
I wanted to see where the great man did his writing.
On that trip I went to Athol, Mass. and dropped off my calipers to be repaired; the kind and ( not too bright ) lady asked me if UPS went to El Paso, Texas, I assured her they did.
She then asked me if we still got attacked by Indians ( no kidding ) feeling evil I assured her that we don't kill white people anymore.
Should have seen the look on her face!!!!!!!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Once again, lest we get all puffy in the chest, I want to state that a degree is a piece of paper that generally says little about the person who holds it. While it can prove a certain level of education, the benefit gained from that education can vary greatly from person to person. It is a standard that can be used for many purposes, but I consider many other criteria to be more valuable in judging a person. As I said in the last post, some of the smartest, most capable people I have ever met, some who I respect most, do not have degrees and have no need for one. Some of the most educated people I have met do not have the degrees that much more ignorant people hold.

As an extreme example, I once met a chaplain in the army who was a vulgar, filthy, base person, who told me that he was looking for a job he could do that required no work and paid good, so he had his wife do all the work for correspondence undergraduate and masters degrees and became a chaplain for an ROTC program so he did not have to leave home. He had degrees in his name, but was one of the worst people I have met. He did no work for the degrees, he had no interest in the students, he only wanted an easy job with good pay.
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Wed May 28, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

madman4570 wrote: Mine, this year voted "America's coolest town" 2013 Rand McNally Travel Guide" :mrgreen:
Your what, exactly, voted? Your wife voted? Your dog voted?

And whatever it was of yours that voted, "America's coolest town" is a strange thing to vote. So is 2013 Rand McNally Travel Guide" with only one quotation mark.

Was is a write-in candidate with an extremely strange name? Was it an election or some other kind of vote?

Proper use of language is vital to clear communication; thus, an education system that produces skill in using a language is also vital. So what were you saying about the NYS education system?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I got in a lot of trouble with HR at where I retired from, because I told the HR lady when I was hiring not to send me people with degrees.
She told me I could not discriminate in that manner.
I then gently reminded her she had to fire the last 5 she sent me.
We came to an understanding.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

+
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

+
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I worked with a real Polish guy ( really from Poland ) spoke broken English.
I could understand that guy better than I can Madman.
Sometimes I just don't know what to make of what he writes.
This is one of those times.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mescalero wrote:I worked with a real Polish guy ( really from Poland ) spoke broken English.
I could understand that guy better than I can Madman.
Sometimes I just don't know what to make of what he writes.
This is one of those times.
:lol:
You should hear mee actually speak via voice. :shock:
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed May 28, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

madman4570 wrote:Average Teacher in our region retires at $5000 a month with almost free medical for family.
Laugh all you want.
Got to pick lot's of fish for that.l:
That must make their unemployed pupils feel better....... :roll:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

+
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.