What gun would you bet on for accuracy...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

What gun would you bet on for accuracy...?

Post by AJMD429 »

If someone were to put a dime out at 100 yards, and wanted to bet you $1,000 you couldn't hit it on your first shot. . . what gun would you use, and in what chambering. . . ?

Anyone who would use a levergun...?

What if it were a silver dollar sized target...?

What if it were a silver dollar at 300 yards...?

Just musing over whether or not I'd pick my 17 HMR Handi-Rifle, or my heavy barrel Savage 223 or my Ruger M-77 in 6mm Remington. Probably those three in the same order for the targets mentioned. No leverguns for this contest, sad to say, even though leverguns are still my favorite overall.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: What gun would you bet on for accuracy...?

Post by Old Savage »

BLR 81 in .243.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

My Remington 700 Varmint in 308. With 168 gr. Bergers 3 shots will usually be in one ragged hole at 100 yards. I've shot a 5 shot group at 500 yards that measures 2.25".
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My 336 shoots about that good with GreenBox 170 CorLokt....Prolly I don't anymore. :lol: (I'll stick with the silver dollar)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The only gun I'd have that was close is an '03 sporter, and some factory 180 gr Rem stuff that shoots under an inch for 3 @ 100 yds.

Sad to report that, as I like having rifles that are consistent and accurate. Wish I had others I could count on for that level of accuracy.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Malamute wrote:The only gun I'd have that was close is an '03 sporter, and some factory 180 gr Rem stuff that shoots under an inch for 3 @ 100 yds.

Sad to report that, as I like having rifles that are consistent and accurate. Wish I had others I could count on for that level of accuracy.
MOA = You're on a coffee saucer at 400yds......I'm not sure how much more consistent and accurate you could get with a sporting rifle.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes, plenty good for practical use, though having a rifle that has a higher degree of precision would be fun, and give a good, warm fuzzy feeling. I don't want a benchrest grade gun, but to be able to make consistent hits on relatively small targets at say, 600 yards or so would make me happy. That isn't much more than the Springfield will do, but it is a difference. Teacup size groups at that range would probably do for me.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

A dime at 100 yards. √
A silver dollar at 200.√
Beyond that, I'd be speculating. :wink:

Winchester model 70 Lightweight.
.243 win.

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

my Winchester Model 70 in 22-250
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Rem 700 in 22-250
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

.22 rimfire 1885 Winchester
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

AT 100 Savage 342 in 22 hornet. If not much wind dime sized groups at 100 no problem. Much over 100 not so good. 200 and up sportered Sweede or 1917.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

I'd use any one of several Sako rifles from the 1960s. Then I'd call rjohns94 to do the shooting and collect that $1000 in 3 shots! :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Don't care what gun you have.
If you are talking sitting at the coffee shop looking over at "the taker" on your bet just going home grabbing the cold firearm and taking it to the range (1st shot) $1000 bet on that dime ----not easy.

Sitting here typing this " I think " I have the combo from a bench however right now would I bet you ? Na!

If I did it would be my 1979 Remington 700 Varmint BDL in 22-250, Leupold 6.5-20 , my match handloads.
It's usually a pick which eye woodchuck gun at reasonable yardage. But for the fun of it,not betting a grand.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Ruger No. 1 in 22-250 with Weaver K-10.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Browning B-78, ("highwall") in 30-06. 165 Sierra Game King, 47.2 grains H4895. I'll take the dime for $1000 but lets do it 5 times.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Rem XR-100 in 243
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Dang, Brent, that is one handsome low-wall schuetzen rifle!
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Dang, Brent, that is one handsome low-wall schuetzen rifle!
It is a bit schizophrenic. Right now she is a .22 BPCR silhouette rifle and she becomes a squirrel rifle in the fall and a few things in between. Levers, palm rest, muzzle rest, sights, and buttplate all swap in and out with other pieces to reconfigure. There are a lot of other strange things about her that make her like no other .22 around. She is a sweetie for certain.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My Dad's 270 WM from the 60's with scope. That thing was pathetically simple to shoot prone. But I did note that I had to lead the shot due to the bloodflow pulsing the vertical crosshair. At a distance where the vertical completely covered the beer can. How far I have no idea, but drilling the lucky lager X was actually no contest once I got the timing dialed in. That's the gun I would try with, if I knew where to find it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

madman4570 wrote:Don't care what gun you have.
If you are talking sitting at the coffee shop looking over at "the taker" on your bet just going home grabbing the cold firearm and taking it to the range (1st shot) $1000 bet on that dime ----not easy.
Mad Dog 20/20 said it right. Ive got some accurate bolt guns and even a Colt AR that will keep up with the bolt guns but i would not bet any of them on the first shot. I once lost a $50 prize because we were allowed to take 3 shots at 3 one inch dots. With a Remington 700 Varmint 22-250, my first was 1" high and I drilled the other 2. Another guy comes up, takes a fouling shot and drilled all 3. I did not know we were allowed a fouling shot.

If I had to bet, it would be that same 700 or possibly a 700 Classic in .257 RBTS.-------6
Model A Uzi’s
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I think I'd want some wind flags out, since there's $$$ on the line... :wink:

But for sure, I'd use my Remington 700 in Triple Deuce (.222 Rem). Here's a 5-shot group at 100 yards:
Rem700 222 - 5 @ 100 yds (Large).jpg
Tight groups!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

AJMD429 wrote:Anyone who would use a levergun...?
My 30-30 is that precise with a scope.
550 Yard, 30-30 Winchester 94, Hornady 160gr FTX
I don't have a scope on it now, but I'll try that next time I shoot it.
AJMD429 wrote:What if it were a silver dollar sized target...?
I might be able to do that with the AK, I'll give that a try next time I take a shot.
AJMD429 wrote:What if it were a silver dollar at 300 yards...?
I can hit a quarter at 300 yards with my Howa 1500 30-06.
Howa 30-06, Tiny Target, 300 Yards
My cast bullets in that rifle seem to be precise, I'll try a silver dollar sized target next time.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Old No7 wrote:I think I'd want some wind flags out, since there's $$$ on the line... :wink:

But for sure, I'd use my Remington 700 in Triple Deuce (.222 Rem). Here's a 5-shot group at 100 yards:
Tight groups!

Old No7
Same rifle and caliber I thought of . A 700 varmit that was my Dads. It's beyond my ability , but he put 3 shots into a target that would have all hit a dime at 200 yards , I believe his best target ever . He was pretty good at flipping woodchucks back into the holes so he didn't have to walk out there to stuff them in the holes . 8)
Last edited by 1894 on Wed May 28, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

PillHer's Remington 700 SPS using Starline brass, 180 grain Accubond bullets, 54.5 grains H414 powder, and WLR primers. Why so detailed? That is the load and recipe that her rifle likes best. SightHunter has put 5 shots in 1 ragged hole at 100 yards with that recipe on multiple occasions. Funny, but my daughter can hit much better than I can with that setup.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I dont know if I could hit a dime at 100 but I get 3 shot groups at 100 with my 99 300 savage that you can cover with a dime. My 348 is a 3/4" group rifle at 100 with peep sights. danny
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

BigSky56 wrote:I dont know if I could hit a dime at 100 but I get 3 shot groups at 100 with my 99 300 savage that you can cover with a dime. My 348 is a 3/4" group rifle at 100 with peep sights. danny
I was watching a video last night of damage control with a helicopter on feral hogs in S Texas and was thinking to myself I bet danny could give them shooter's a few lessons.

-----------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have two rifles that I've hit a golf ball at 200yds with, and both of them are Savage 110 in .30-06.

Maybe not on the first shot. But within 3 shots I'd bet money. But not because of the guns, because of me. I usually need to warm up and settle down, breathing and all that.

One's an older E model and the other one is an FP. The old E likes either the Winchester 180gr PP or 180gr Accubond, and the FP favors the Winchester 168gr BST.

For one shot that's gotta count... yeah, I'd be warm and fuzzy with either Savage.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BigSky56 wrote:I dont know if I could hit a dime at 100 but I get 3 shot groups at 100 with my 99 300 savage that you can cover with a dime. My 348 is a 3/4" group rifle at 100 with peep sights. danny
How do you guys DO that with non-magnifying sights; I can't even see the bullseye at that range without a scope...!
piller wrote:PillHer's Remington 700 SPS using Starline brass, 180 grain Accubond bullets, 54.5 grains H414 powder, and WLR primers. Why so detailed? That is the load and recipe that her rifle likes best. SightHunter has put 5 shots in 1 ragged hole at 100 yards with that recipe on multiple occasions. Funny, but my daughter can hit much better than I can with that setup.
What's the SPS chambered in...??
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My Rem 700 in 6.5-06, Weaver T-10
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

AJMD429 wrote:
How do you guys DO that with non-magnifying sights; I can't even see the bullseye at that range without a scope...!
You don't have to see a dime to shoot a dime. But you do have to know where it is relative to something you can see. It if is in the middle of a large aiming bull, then it might be quite easy to hit it with iron sights and yet never actually see the dime.

Aiming precision with aperture sights on a long-radius singleshot rifle is on the order of 1/4 MOA. Maybe less.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

AJ I use glass on my 99 a 1-5x20 DG scope and I use a wiliams twilight .125 peep on the 348 I might shrink my group if I used a target peep.

J35 windage and elevation and a tuned m60. danny
lohcockpit.jpg
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Brent makes a good point Doc.
Take any decent M1A, Garand, AR15 preferably match grade (including sights)
At 100yds adjusting the very top of front sight post to just meet the very bottom of bull (6 o-clock) you will also notice without difficulty that front post is centered (windage wise) meaning you will notice if one side of bull stands out to one side more than the other. Or with a 6" bull and say a normal M1 garand sight it might appear just about even.

Do not try to center the top of post into center of bull. You cannot get fine enough.
You will be amazed how fine detail you can get.
If you cannot see a 6 or 8" bull at 100yds. Get your eyes checked pronto.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

However, for my deer hunting here the setup I do it differently.
75 yds dead center of 5" bull.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My 6mm BR. Custom chamber reamer to my specs.
Grizzly action,Krieger barrel and Jewell 2oz. trigger. 36X Weaver
First five shot group I ever fired at 100 yd while fire forming brass.
Here are some targets fired while load development. 10 five shot groups,cleaning after each 10 shots and firing every shot for score (no fouler shots) arrows indicate shots fired with a clean barrel.
10 five shot groups average .2436" center to center.
I would be fairly confident shooting a dime with this one.

If I could have entered the best five groups of those in the world championships that year, I would have come in in 76th. place. :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Laser guided bomb. I don't even have to get close to hit it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Colt/Sako 30-06or my Winchester 52 Target.....they are better rifles then I am a marksman
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:My 6mm BR. Custom chamber reamer to my specs.
Here are some targets fired while load development. 10 five shot groups,cleaning after each 10 shots and firing every shot for score (no fouler shots) arrows indicate shots fired with a clean barrel.

If I could have entered the best five groups of those in the world championships that year, I would have come in in 76th. place. :D
That is some very fine shooting! :mrgreen:
Very nice weapon also!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Once you get beyond the distance for good accuracy with your rifle,
you can always switch over to the crossbow :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmx6OghotKM
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

My Styer SSG normally with a 6x Kahles scope using Federal Gold 168s. Bought it for work and it has never let me down. I have won a couple of sniper shoot offs with this one even at Ft Bragg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

6.5 X 55 Swede...129gr boat tail. Open sights...for all of them.

Coarse most all of my lever guns would handle the 100 yard challenge if I do my part...the '85 high wall is down right respectable on all the distances too. But that 'ole Swede cloverleaf's consistently. Maybe that is why it is the only military gun that has won the Olympics.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Remington 700 BDL in 7mmRemMag. 140 gr Nosler BT over 61 grains of IMR4350.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Old No7 wrote:I think I'd want some wind flags out, since there's $$$ on the line... :wink:

Tight groups!

Old No7
Very nice shooting, 7!!!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

madman4570 wrote:
Chuck 100 yd wrote:My 6mm BR. Custom chamber reamer to my specs.

That is some very fine shooting! :mrgreen:
Very nice weapon also!
I wholeheartedly agree!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

casastahle wrote:A dime at 100 yards. √
A silver dollar at 200.√
Beyond that, I'd be speculating. :wink:

Winchester model 70 Lightweight.
.243 win.

This one, but mine isn't as pretty and it is a Featherweight. The most accurate rifle I own. The 7mm-08 is close, but the Winchester wins out.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

There's some good shooters here no doubt
me id take the silver dollar at a hundred with my 38-55 Marlin CB
Maybe the dime with my 88 in 308?

ollogger
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

My Stevens 200 in .223 loaded with 69gr Sierra match kings with LC 09 neck sized brass. Its the only one I have that will do it. The rest of my long guns are 1-2 inches at 100.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

My .260 Rem AR or the precision 5.56 upper I carried in Iraq. Both would do it easy.

Of course, I could surely find a way to mess up the shot, if given the chance.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

7.62 Precision wrote:My .260 Rem AR or the precision 5.56 upper I carried in Iraq. Both would do it easy.

Of course, I could surely find a way to mess up the shot, if given the chance.
Your humble honesty is appreciated.
No doubt myself & the rest of us band of bro's are right there with ya. :wink:
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

I tried today with the Howa 1500 30-06, at a silver dollar sized target, 300 yards downrange; missed by 1.25 or so inches. I am still getting my windage correct after load development, and with these round nose cast bullets windage is tricky; but I am pretty sure I have the windage adjusted properly now. Hopefully, next time will be a different story.

Windage darn Close