OT; What the best Browser to Use?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

OT; What the best Browser to Use?

Post by Centennial »

Considering speed, privacy, and security; Which is the best browser/search engine to use for internet?
Right now I have Internet Explorer and a XP computer.
Uses are surfing the net, here, video on news sources, music, & Youtube.I would like to get away from Google and Chrome also.
I've heard of Firefox, what do you need to have to use it?
BrentD

Re: OT; What the best Browser to Use?

Post by BrentD »

Google Chrome works for me.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have been using firefox almost since it appeared, still use it, don't plan to change.

xp is not supported by msft and explorer will be about useless without security support.

firefox has elementary security built in by proxying the connection, and has massive add-on extension support, if that's of any interest. script and ad blockers that work.

Have not used explorer for about the same length of time.

tried chrome and opera but quit them.

although my android tablet has chrome on it and firefox is something of a pain on android.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Firefox gets my vote.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

+1 on what Grizz said. Grizz is one of the most knowledgeable and best tech guy here.

I also use Firefox. Opera is better suited for Mac and Linux, Chrome is a disaster and likes to steal your personal information for Google to use.

Steve
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Like Griz I use Firefox.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Thanks!
Maybe just two+ more questions. ;)
Are there better links to get Firefox downloaded from?
Can I "unistall" IE & google once I have Firefox up and running? Or does it need some of them to run Firefox?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

yes you can uninstall, but if you install firefox first it can import your bookmarks from one of the browsers, don't know if you can do that for both or not. it's a pain to switch.

firefox keeps everything in a profile folder, which you can save anywhere. so, for example, you could save your profile on a thumb drive and keep all of your browsing history off of the mainframe, if that's any use to you.

I do this with my linux box which runs in ram so I won't clog up the envelop it runs in, saving all files and photos and email and browser stuff on a hard drive that I remove when I want to preserve and protect the data isolated from the OS, which boots from disc.

extraneous info, I know

Grizz
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

I also use Firefox.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

firefox
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Safari or foxfire, but I don't know if Safari is available for your windows based PC. It's killer stable and very user friendly on an iMac, as is Foxfire.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I '"oogled" Firefox and saw two "versions" (?). One was Firefox optimized for Yahoo, and Firefox Mozilla. Is there any difference, or a preferred "version"?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

I am using Mozilla Firefox ver 28.0 Have been using since ver 6.0 Have had no problems at all.
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

Chrome because I can right mouse button click and save the thread.

I save every thread I am interested in and then sort them out off line. I have been doing this for over a decade and it has turned into a great resource of information that in some cases is now lost.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When I got my I Mac, I noticed that Safari would not display web pages properly (details would overlap, or be lost on pages with small, and detailed graphics) Chrome eliminated this. I have not tried others.

On the other hand, Fox News site barely works on Chrome, but, is perfect on Safari.....
Last edited by Blaine on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A few months ago a friend from town came out to help me with some computer problems and he put Firefox on for me, no problems since then.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I won't use Firefox now, given the stunt they just pulled with their CEO. See the post in the "Politics" section. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

What are you guys talking about? I still lease my bakalite rotary telephone from Ma Bell... :?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Started using Dogpile when I was working at an "intelligence" site then it searched 5 different sites at the same time. Now it is down to two but I still use it or Chrome, http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl.t5.2/search/home
It is not the critic who counts
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

In several tests, including this one, Firefox tests as the least secure browser. IE is generally the most secure of late, but Chrome has its days.

I find one browser about as easy to use as another. IE, Firefox, and Chrome each have their quirks from the programmer's side, but most major sites seek to accommodate each. On my Mac, I use Safari, and at least one major US daily isn't working at all on it this week, so I read that with Chrome on another PC in the house.

With support for XP ending in 3 days, I'd be more worried about the OS than the browser.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

BlaineG wrote:When I got my I Mac, I noticed that Safari would not display web pages properly (details would overlap, or be lost on pages with small, and detailed graphics) Chrome eliminated this. I have not tried others.

On the other hand, Fox News site barely works on Chrome, but, is perfect on Safari.....
Try Opera, it was designed for the Mac OS, by the FireFox crowd.

Steve
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I use Firefox but have Chrome and Internet Exploder in case I need them.

You could get a virus at some point and need more than one browser to get rid of it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

KWK wrote:In several tests, including this one, Firefox tests as the least secure browser. IE is generally the most secure of late, but Chrome has its days.

I find one browser about as easy to use as another. IE, Firefox, and Chrome each have their quirks from the programmer's side, but most major sites seek to accommodate each. On my Mac, I use Safari, and at least one major US daily isn't working at all on it this week, so I read that with Chrome on another PC in the house.

With support for XP ending in 3 days, I'd be more worried about the OS than the browser.

Looks like my first question is a moot point.
Now I need to upgrade to Windows 8 or buy a new PC.

Start looking & see whats forsale before my XP goes down.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

SteveR wrote:
BlaineG wrote:When I got my I Mac, I noticed that Safari would not display web pages properly (details would overlap, or be lost on pages with small, and detailed graphics) Chrome eliminated this. I have not tried others.

Try Opera, it was designed for the Mac OS, by the FireFox crowd.

Steve
It seems to work really quick (I downloaded it yesterday) but, there are no tools to import all my bookmarks from Chrome.....I wonder if I could convert my Chrome bookmarks into a HTML doc and somehow migrate it to Opera? Not sure what I could do even if I could. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

I could literally spend hours writing this reply. Suffice it to say that every browser has several ways for web sites you are visiting to run programs on your computer without your permission! Worse it is not only the web sites your visit that can do so but also advertisers on those web sites :( Cyber thieves have pounced on this and now the entire web is that part of town that you had best not go without your full auto UZI and a few dozen magazines :( That having been said my preference is firefox with noscript. But do understand that it will be rather inconvenient! When you want to view a video with that configuration and it will be a chore trying to get it viewable. :(
Alan Wood
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Centennial wrote:Start looking & see whats forsale before my XP goes down.
Your XP won't simply stop working come Wednesday. Microsoft will no longer send out bug fixes. Your machine will, then, become more vulnerable as time goes on. If you use a good browser kept up to date you'll be fine for a while; do consider a good internet security package, though.