Marlin square bolt fix

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Marlin square bolt fix

Post by bsaride »

upset for lunch, need a fix,
Post pics please.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
BrentD

Re: Marlin square bolt fix

Post by BrentD »

My latest acquisition. It is a total basket case. and I don't even have it here yet.
https://www.proxibid.com/AuctionImages/ ... ze/562.jpg
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

BrentD wrote:My latest acquisition. It is a total basket case. and I don't even have it here yet.

congratulations....i was the bidder just below you. i already have a decent one with half magazine, etc. 45/70 with excellent bore.

glad to see someone get it and fix it.

i spend too much time on proxibid !!
cable
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Yance can fix it for ya. He's a good metalworker. He can round off that squared edge just fine.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Just gotta love the sound of those square bolts 8)
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

hfcable wrote:
BrentD wrote:My latest acquisition. It is a total basket case. and I don't even have it here yet.

congratulations....i was the bidder just below you. i already have a decent one with half magazine, etc. 45/70 with excellent bore.

Were you also the guy bidding on the other 95 in .40-65? That was the one I really wanted. But so goes it.

I'll be sweet talking my welder about those blasted holes.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

BrentD wrote:
hfcable wrote:

Were you also the guy bidding on the other 95 in .40-65? That was the one I really wanted. But so goes it.

I'll be sweet talking my welder about those blasted holes.

Probably; i bid on a lot of stuff, usually fairly low bids unless it is something i really "NEED"...ha! but if i bid low and get something then i can be happy fiddling around with it.
cable
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Well, if you outbid me on the 40-65, then you got it. I'd be willing to listen to horse trades if you have second thoughts.

Quite a bizarre collection of firearms. Four 95 square bolts and all of them pretty well buggered. IN fact, most of the rifles in the collection being sold were buggered - most of them badly, very badly. Makes me wonder what the previous owner was like.

Brent
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

BrentD wrote:Well, if you outbid me on the 40-65, then you got it. I'd be willing to listen to horse trades if you have second thoughts.

Quite a bizarre collection of firearms. Four 95 square bolts and all of them pretty well buggered. IN fact, most of the rifles in the collection being sold were buggered - most of them badly, very badly. Makes me wonder what the previous owner was like.

Brent

no i didnt get one recently.....the 1895 i have, got last year. i have had a couple of other original model 1895 marlins...should have kept them but they were all project guns.... the one i have now is a nice condition rifle, nice bore and action, round barrel, tang sight, half magazine and all original, but in used but not abused condition....the kind of gun that isnt hurt by using it some more. that is often the kind of lever guns i like best., nice but users....not safe queens.

i have so many gun projects and project guns..... i go to the gunsmith at least once a week..... see him far more often than my doctors, bankers, business manager, or dentist...... and you know what? Thats a dang good thing !!!! :P
cable
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

38-55

44-40

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i like the square bolts: i have an 1894 short rifle in high condition - 25/20; an 1893 in excellent condition, with swiss butt plate, 32/40 with factory vernier tang sight, really fancy wood; the 1895 in 45/70 that i mentioned; and an model 36, a beautiful gun in 32 special, made in 1947 - my birth year [ and here i am , still alive ]; a modern marlin 1894 cowboy oct barrel 45 colt, and the modern marlin cowboy oct barrel 1894 in 32 H&R . that isnt counting the marlin 22s with their square bolts.

i also had another 1895 square bolt, and a beautiful 1893 takedown.....they kinda 'went missing' in the divorce.
cable
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Sixgun wrote:38-55
Man 6 that CC is sweet on that o'l girl. :mrgreen:
I guess mine looked like that too at one time.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:twisted: Everybody always shows their "Sunday best"! :twisted: So, how 'about a "fixer-upper?"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Griff wrote::twisted: Everybody always shows their "Sunday best"! :twisted: So, how 'about a "fixer-upper?"
tell us about it?
cable
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Griff wrote::twisted: Everybody always shows their "Sunday best"! :twisted: So, how 'about a "fixer-upper?"
I'm sorry but the one I showed above easily wins as the "worst beater" so far.

BTW, did you have someone precarve those stocks for you? And if so, may ask whom? I'm more familiar with the singleshot world when it comes to woodworking. I don't know anyone that specialized in Marlin 1895 patterns which is what I am going to be needing.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

hfcable wrote:
tell us about it?
Not to steal the thread, but, my Project 1894 Marlin started out a LOT rougher than pictured above.
BrentD wrote:BTW, did you have someone precarve those stocks for you? And if so, may ask whom? I'm more familiar with the singleshot world when it comes to woodworking. I don't know anyone that specialized in Marlin 1895 patterns which is what I am going to be needing.
Yes, they're from Precision Gunworks.
Last edited by Griff on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Thanks!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Here's my 1947 vintage model 37 far from pristine but a reliable shooter. I have a Williams 5D on it since 2007. :wink:

The only picture I have of my Marlin 1894 44 mag is this one from New Years Day 1998 with my son and me and a large boar one of two I shot that morning. I should take better pictures of all my guns for a record.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wow , nice pic and nice hog Ji !!
cable