Hunting load for the .44-40

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Hunting load for the .44-40

Post by Bryan Austin »

I am continuing to add examples to this doc. If anyone wants to contribute, I'll take all the help I can get!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1905899731
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

A lot of good questions and answers. My experience is that Winchester barrels are way big. .431 for my 1886 mfg 73 and the same for my Miroku 73 while the two Uberti 73s I have are .429. For CAS I load .429 by using the expander from a set of 44 Mag dies and Lee factory crimp die. I've not found it necessary to use anything but Goex ffg or fffg. Oh, I use other stuff too but tain't necessary. 200 grain cast bullets will handle anything but grizzlies and moose and I have a 45-90 for those. The barrels in a couple of my CFSS (Colt Frontier Six Shooter) slug .427 so I feed them .429 too. I did open the chamber throats up to .429 so my bullets aren't being sized down to .424 by the tight throats and by using only Winchester or Starline brass my loads will chamber in my Colts and my Winchesters. Remington brass is just too thick to work in the Colts. The Uberti 73s are happy too.
I think most of the hype about thin brass is just inexperience. I have no problem with it. You can't just run the brass without lubing it. I buy whatever's on sale in aerosol or spritz, spread them out on a 5 gallon bucket lid and coat them. There is a little taper so you can't have carbide. Sorry.
To satisfy the 2 SRCs I opened up a mold to cast a .431 and lube it with SPG. They really like this one over a case full of fffg but I won't mix loads when I go SASS shooting and they do okay with the .429s.
Be sure to get a tight neck and a good crimp for smokeless loads. You don't want any bullets to set back in the case. If you stick to black they can't set back 'cause the case is full.
Nah, you don't wanna hear about my H-110 load. 92 ONLY!
I'm sure I missed someone's question so ask again.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Johnwell
Levergunner

Post by Johnwell »

M. M. Wright wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:39 pm... Nah, you don't wanna hear about my H-110 load. 92 ONLY!
On the contrary.. my model 53 is a 92 clone, so I would be curious as to what the load is, as well as what kind of velocity you’re seeing.

I need to chrono my 2400 loads, I assume they’re pretty mild, but they are quite accurate. If I need more range, I have a myriad of other options, but I do still want to get a deer with the old lever rifle.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Johnwell wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:39 pm
M. M. Wright wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:39 pm... Nah, you don't wanna hear about my H-110 load. 92 ONLY!
On the contrary.. my model 53 is a 92 clone, so I would be curious as to what the load is, as well as what kind of velocity you’re seeing.
I'v
I need to chrono my 2400 loads, I assume they’re pretty mild, but they are quite accurate. If I need more range, I have a myriad of other options, but I do still want to get a deer with the old lever rifle.
I've killed plenty of deer with black powder loads. I don't want to get it wrong from my old memory so I'll have to look up that H-110 load for you.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS