Warning,Windows 8 ??? Might want to stay with Win 7

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Warning,Windows 8 ??? Might want to stay with Win 7

Post by madman4570 »

Legal Disclaimer-------
"Info listed below is just opinions of couple people and what results they have had/yours might be different so this is only (an opinion topic)verify what you need and verify from searching of info if below info is correct and reasonable yourselves ???????"

Got together to celebrate daughter getting the Teaching Job this weekend along with my brother(his Birthday)

Now both my daughter and brother are smart cookies(as is his wife)he is a Lead Senior Electrical Engineer(Penn State Grad) and she is a Lead Senior Software Engineer (RIT Grad) and course the Daughter (miss 4.0 ain't no dummy either)

So,they get taking about smart phones, then my brother says----whatever you do (do not buy ANY computer with Windows 8
And goes on to say he 3 weeks about bought a new Dell laptop with Windows 8 and that system is absolutely(unworkable for about anything except looking at pretty pictures like via Facebook etc.) He said he spent a week and a half trying to get that Operating system to (actually work reasonably)---------------------------Nope!
His wife(a Senior Software Eng)-------------tried----------------Nope!
Daughter basically thought -----------------------many of same basic issues on her new laptop boyfriends brother recently bought for her last Christmas.(its useless)

My brother called Dell-----------and said---------am returning it----and "if you cannot supply me with a Windows 7 Pro Operating System------(I will go somewhere and buy from a Company that can)---they wanted to try to get him to take it back and get a $100 bonus ???? :lol: (must be they got millions of Window 8's they can't dump off ????)

They sent him new computer(Windows 7 Pro)-------------all is good!

Now-----for those that have Windows 8--------you can look online and pickup Windows 7 Pro System and Install that on your Windows 8 machine-----It can be found for around $130 or so verses suggested retail of around $320 retail cost.Guess $130 is better than useless machine or spending $$$ for new machine.
but be warned it will void warranty and you will lose any software stuff you already bought and put on it (like say Windows Office Pro etc.)

Bottom Line--------------------If you say when you buy at store(or order online)which you might have to do---- a new machine------unless you can supply me with (Windows 7)---he likes the Pro version best for the $$-----------------------No sale! They might him and haw----but chances are---(It will be done)
Brother said-------------------watch and see (because of how bad Windows 8 is) least in his opinion---pretty soon there will be Windows 9 version which will be about Windows 7 again ?? :lol:
Otherwise you can keep Windows 8------------------cause it does make for kinda a nice pretend smartphone when using Skype or it does show pretty pitcures??????? :D

Far as performing any serious multitasking efforts------well ??? :lol:

Again------------just some opinions here-------your results may vary! Ya kinda know your in trouble----when there is no toolbar????

Just some humble opinions only here!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Warning,Windows 8 ??? Might want to stay with Win 7

Post by Griff »

I'm about due for a new computer, current one is a 64-bit HP runnin' Win 7 Ultimate. Unless I get one of new somethings that requires 8, I'kk just install this same opsys.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

The whole point/idea of Win 8 is negated by everyone I know who just chooses to stay on their "retro" desktop.

What a poorly thought out concept. Problem is, on retail shelves at least, the supply of Win7 computers dried up months ago
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Streetstar wrote:The whole point/idea of Win 8 is negated by everyone I know who just chooses to stay on their "retro" desktop.

What a poorly thought out concept. Problem is, on retail shelves at least, the supply of Win7 computers dried up months ago

yep---------------got to order one-------------tell them it's 7 or bust!

With 8 try running Youtube/Office/Skypes/Exel--------------all simultaneously??????? :lol:

With 7-----------------------easy!(and fast)

Navagating through 8 I hear is like speaking/understanding the language of @#$@%$
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I got a new HP about 6-7 months ago. I wish I'd known what a pain win. 8 was. Took me a long time to figure things out. No idea why they had to make things so complicated.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

I am a network engineer and have been an IT consultant since the Windows 3.11 days. Here is what you need to know about Windows 8:

Like Windows 7 (and Vista) Microsoft changed everything about they way you use the OS, making it impossible for a seasoned network or computer engineer to pick up the darn thing and use it for anything except a door stop.

However, there was a free Windows 8 course from Lynda.com ( I don't know if it's free any more) that teaches you how to get into it. I only did the first hour of the course and I was able to use it.

The primary thing now, is everything is right click to get options, and each side of the screen is for something else. Upper left brings up a panel with all windows, lower left something else, right side options and panels.

Microsoft is also trying their new Tablet style theory where everything should be pictures, no menus, no windows edges, etc. However, even their OS isn't fully compatible with itself as the control panels are all still written in the old style.

I gave my wife and her son each a laptop I bought from my company, and loaded it with Windows 8. After just a couple of pointers, they both are able to use it fine, and like it. My wife uses it attached to a TV to watch netflix and hulu. I bought her a wifi keyboard so she can sit on the couch and use it. It works very well for here this way and the new start screen is easy for here to see from further away.

Windows 8 SP1 will restore the start button and help the transition shock quite a bit. Windows 8 actually works quite well, and the Windows Defender anti virus is finally actually a real world capable protection and updates itself if you let it. Windows 8 integrates easily with facebook, webmail, etc and really, if all you want is mail, browser, some pictures, maybe watch Netflix, its a great OS.

Check out those "magazines" that talk about how to use it, or get a for Dummies book, our seek out free online Windows 8 training (Beware of fishers, and dont use any passwords you use anywhere else). Unlike when Microsoft switched to Vista, and changed everything about the interface, but didn't change the underlying OS, Windows 8 actually does incorporate many new features that actually are kind of neat.

And, if you have an Windows 8 phone or tablet, you now can enjoy having just one OS on all your devices, like an iPhone.

Unfortunately, as it is now, Windows 8 is unsuable for corporate users. In the new Windows Server 2012, the server equivalent of WIndows 8, they don't even use the new Start Page. I cant imaging trying to use windows 8 in the corporate environment where you want everything on desktops, network drives, multi screen. We'll see where it goes. But, for home users, I actually endorse it for the better security than windows 7, vista or XP.

Now, if you still have windows 7, vista or xp, you can download the microsoft security suite for free, and I highly recommend it if you don't have an AV already that you are happy with. The Microsoft suite did fail a test recently, but their explaination was that the vulnerability was theoretical only, and they only work up updates for virii that they know are in the wild already. Except for that, it scores as well as any of the others.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I have been on 8 for a couple months now and am beginning to understand and navigate. If U try it without any instruction at all U will hate it, I did. It works for everything that I do. I do Skype and I do You-tube but not at the same time. I don't do Video games. All I do is Paco Kellys Leverguns, Facebook, E-mail and You Tube. From Fat Jack's analysis this is the system for Me. I had Vista before and it took a little getting use to but used it for 6 or 7 years then Windows 8 "BAM", but with each passing day it gets easier. So don't totally discount 8 but if U can still get what Ur use to then by all means do it. From what I understand 8 was designed as a Touch Screen OS (and that aint Old Savage) for Phones but now they r using it on computers. Mine is not touch screen, don't know as I want it to be.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bought a new computer when I was in the US .. it came with Windows 8. I took the time to read the instructions and go through the "how to" videos included .. and I made the transition fairly painlessly. Knowing what does what helps tremendously. :) I have been running it for almost 4 months now and have no issues at all. It works just fine for internet stuff ... for making our newsletters .. for keeping our records .. everything we do with a computer.

I was not sure I would be happy with it ... but I have to say it became natural to use quite easily.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Our son got my wife a new laptop, came with Windows 8, we have been using 7. What a nightmare! We spent countless hours screwing with it trying to make sense of it, finally got the "Windows 8 for dummies" book. Book spent the first 2 pages telling readers not to buy Windows 8 for any reason, it is totally FUBAR. We never have got it to work in a rational manner like 7, our local computer tech will convert it to 7 for $100.00 dollars so we are saving our pennies, hope to get it done in the next couple of months.

Never will understand why manufacturers will take something that is working just fine, screw it up totally and call it "new and improved" :roll: :roll:
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

My older son is a IT trouble-shooter and he hates Windows 8 (crashmeister 2013). My younger son just purchased a desk-top computer through Amazon.com and was able to find one with Windows 7 installed, they are still out there if you do a little digging. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
ColColt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ColColt »

I bought a then new computer with Vista Home Premium about four years ago. It was a quantum leap better than XP and a whole lot faster with the i7 processor and 6 Gig memory. I've had the least amount of trouble with it than XP that was slow as Bill Slowsky even with Comcast as my ISP. Trying to edit photos with Nikon's Capture NX2 software was a nightmare with XP but not Vista. I've been entertaining thoughts about a new one but after reading this, Windows 8 ain't going to be it. I don't like problems and hate changes so, I might just keep this one till it croaks.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I picked up a surplus 2 yr old HP notebook PC from work, wiped the drive clean and installed Linux Mint 15.0. Comes with Firefox, the Thunderbird email client, and QuickOffice suite. I've no issues at all opening and editing MS Office documents. It boots pretty quickly and uses much less RAM and processing power than Windoze. The only issue I've had is getting it to recognize my iPod and my Android phone in order to manage my music library, which means our old Win7 laptop will stick around a bit longer until I figure out that problem.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I just stick with a Mac.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Never will understand why manufacturers will take something that is working just fine, screw it up totally and call it "new and improved"

Off topic, but that seems to be what happened to photobucket.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

7.62 Precision wrote:I just stick with a Mac.

A MAc is fine until you have to download/install a copy of a Windows OS anyway to run proprietary software --- then you may ask yourself "Why didn't I just get this in the first place, since I am bypassing the Mac's features anyway?"

But if that never happens or you don't need such software, then Apple makes good stuff for sure
----- Doug
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I got Windows 8 when I had to replace my old computer. It is a little different but if you are used to 7 or XP it isn't bad. There is a video on Youtube called the Missing Windows 8 Instructional video. I watched that and all has been well since. My kids took to it no problem.

Here's the vid. I am far from high tech so don't panic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BSmmSU-UZU
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Dave wrote:I got Windows 8 when I had to replace my old computer. It is a little different but if you are used to 7 or XP it isn't bad. There is a video on Youtube called the Missing Windows 8 Instructional video. I watched that and all has been well since. My kids took to it no problem.

Here's the vid. I am far from high tech so don't panic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BSmmSU-UZU
Check this out about Windows 8 (I mean hate ??) :lol: :D

Interesting stuff guys! Got to check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXxvW4lQAA8

Also for you Professional working dudes-----------------see

http://www.crn.com/news/applications-os ... ing-it.htm

Dave------Can you run multiple sessions of heavy memory application stuff all running at once----------without difficulty ????
I just got off the phone talking to a Computer Software Eng------told them some of you guys have no issues----and they said, I bet all are only running a single at a time application.???????????(maybe---- two simple apps)

From what they say------------------it is a lot different than 7 ?????????
Anyhow-----I am sticking with 7 for sure :lol: :D

You know what bugs me about Apple-------It's like well you want to run anything-----use(pay)for only our Apple stuff or pound salt. ??
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

madman4570 wrote: Dave------Can you run multiple sessions of heavy memory application stuff all running at once----------without difficulty ????
I just got off the phone talking to a Computer Software Eng------told them some of you guys have no issues----and they said, I bet all are only running a single at a time application.???????????(maybe---- two simple apps)
I don't run a whole lot of stuff at once but so far we haven't had any problems. There is a rumor Microsoft is going to release 8.1 and it will have a "start" button again. You can use classic shell now if you want a start button again. Adapt and overcome. What else can you do?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't like Windows 8, but have finally figured out how to 'customize' it and create the appropriate shortcuts to emulate Windows 7 for about everything I do (word processing, spreadsheets, database, and . . . leverguns). Took awhile though, and I still have to go through the stupid Windows 8 screens on occasion to 'get somewhere' I could have gotten to more easily with the Windows 7 version.

Even worse, RCBS.load ballistic software doesn't run with Windows 8 yet that I know of...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Since Vista, Microcrud has reduced compatibility with software installed on older systems so you'd have upgrade to their latest PITA version of MS Office. Hopefully, Google's business model of freeware/shareware will drive MS into oblivion, after all Gates stole the GUI from Jobs. Even Firefox is falling into bad ways to follow MS.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Streetstar wrote:

A MAc is fine until you have to download/install a copy of a Windows OS anyway to run proprietary software --- then you may ask yourself "Why didn't I just get this in the first place, since I am bypassing the Mac's features anyway?"

But if that never happens or you don't need such software, then Apple makes good stuff for sure
You mean some kind of custom built software designed for Windows or something like that? Yeah, I can see that, especially in a manufacturing environment or something like that.

I haven't used windows at home for more than 10 years. First it was Linux, then a Mac. I installed Darwin ports and X11 so I can run linux programs on the Mac if I need to.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

linux :mrgreen:

rimrock wrote: Gates stole the GUI from Jobs
Nah, they all stole it from Xerox :mrgreen:
Apple just started using a GUI before Microsoft.

It will be interesting to see where the google notion goes.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Recent experience with Windows 8. Came with the new PC, so we figured what the heck. Bad idea.

About the only thing that it does right if boot fast. I imagine if you don't want to get under the hood of the OS, it's fairly easy to use. If you want any sort of control or adaptabilty, it fails hard.

The first thing you will notice is a layer of graphical kludge obscures everything you care to use. There is a desktop, but you can't get to it without going through the tile graphics first. You can get to every major Start button function, but only after a couple of layers of graphical menus. Some of these can be pinned to the tile interface, but the system is completely unintuitive. Maybe it's okay for a touch sceen, but it's pretty 'meh' otherwise.

Second, it seems to be an incredibly fragile OS. While the ability to repair issues after the fact seems more robust you also appear to need it more. For instance, simply changing our home network name crashed the OS to the point of needing repair. Things that Win 7 would take in stride seem to stop Win 8 outright. I'm very wary of trusting any data to it any HDD it may be installed on.

A big patch to put it on par with 7 is supposedly in bound for the third quarter of this year, but for now it sucks serious wind.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I got hives when I had to upgrade to XP. One thing I won't fall for again is to install free "upgrades" from Microsoft. Last time I did they didn't approve of my dealer installation of XP and turned my screen black and said the fix was to upgrade to Windows 7.

I don't like XP but I want to use SD card readers so I will just have to deal. Microsoft's upgrades are almost always disasters. I think Microsoft is so big they are starting to function like a government.

Someday I hope to move to Linux, or back to Windows 98. For now I need some of the more modern features. Thanks for the heads up.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

FatJackDurham wrote:
Streetstar wrote:

You mean some kind of custom built software designed for Windows or something like that? Yeah, I can see that, especially in a manufacturing environment or something like that.

I haven't used windows at home for more than 10 years. First it was Linux, then a Mac. I installed Darwin ports and X11 so I can run linux programs on the Mac if I need to.
Almost no need to ever run windows-only software. There is exactly one program I use windows for - Sierra's ballistic software.

Where you run into needing a PC to run software for manufacturing, etc., I would run a dedicated PC. For example, equipment that uses proprietary software that requires a PC (and often an older operating system) like certain CNC machines or plotters/vinyl cutters. In this case, I would always use a dedicated machine, anyway. I would not be surfing the web, checking emails, and typing letters on a machine that is running a CNC lathe, for instance. I used to use a PC to try to run vinyl cutters, but all the software that everyone used was archaic and you had to trick it into working, so I just got a cutter that was Mac compatible. A lot of manufacturing uses proprietary operating system/software combos anyway.

Most people will find that they have no need to work on a PC and a Mac will do everything they need. For me, while they work around their downfalls a lot more than they used to, using a PC for most of what I do would still be detriment. It seems that Microsoft's attitude has always been to wait for others to innovate and then pretend to follow, but actually only make the appearance of progress, while hanging on to some of the poor features of older systems and then forcing users to accept it, instead of making something that is really a great improvement (and this is possible if they wanted to do it).

I once ran the pre-press department at a printing company overseas. We had two Windows 98, one Windows 2000, one Windows 95, and one wind-tunnel Mac G4 workstations, an Harlequin RIP on a Windows NT box, a Panther RIP on Windows XP, and a Windows 95 server. Proofing digitally through a Fiery RIP. The hardest thing was getting the Windows machines to all play with each other nicely. They worked with the Mac better than with each other.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Microsoft finds itself stuck between a rapidly moving monster of a boulder and a hard place! The world is switching from PC's to phones and tablets. UI's on current versions of phones and tablets are touch screen UI's (user interfaces). Most existing Windows software is mouse based. Quite literally for Microsoft to survive it must succeed in presenting software developers a unified paradigm were the software they produce will work in all three environments. It must work on phones, tablets, and PCs. I doubt that this is actually possible.
Greg_M
Levergunner

Post by Greg_M »

For the internet....Ubuntu (Linux) 12.04 with the KDE desktop. Looks (can look) just like XP.
Firefox and Thunderbird work perfectly. All the software is free. OS is frree. Pretty much virus proof
The rest of my computers (not internet) have XP. I am thinking of changing one to Windoz 7 just for photo processing programs.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Greg

welcome to the fire

another linux user! my main OS for the last several years is puppy linux. I use it constantly, I use it to rescue windows boxes and recover data. it's on a thumb drive. it's on a boot CD. I use it naked to do online financial stuff, and use it with a hard drive for data storage.

ubuntu with kde is a much more highly polished OS.

Grizz
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Have seven computers in the household, three with Windows 8, three with Windows XP Pro, and one upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows XP Pro.

My wife and two of my children utilize the three with Windows 8, they are completely useless to me. None of our proprietary Cad tools on our corporate server are compatible, Group Wise (e-mail software) is not compatible, and all the real business software like excel pivot tables, word docs, power point, and such are useless...and our corporate server does not recognize Windows 8. Just last month they made a patch for Windows 7.

The only thing Windows 8 is good for is...entertainment. As a tool to increase business efficiencies it is a disaster.

But with the trouble I am having with Windows XP Pro the last three-four months (can not even open photobucket, takes an hour to load), I will have to make a transition, but Windows 8 is out...
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

FatJackDurham wrote:I am a network engineer and have been an IT consultant since the Windows 3.11 days. Here is what you need to know about Windows 8:

Like Windows 7 (and Vista) Microsoft changed everything about they way you use the OS, making it impossible for a seasoned network or computer engineer to pick up the darn thing and use it for anything except a door stop.

However, there was a free Windows 8 course from Lynda.com ( I don't know if it's free any more) that teaches you how to get into it. I only did the first hour of the course and I was able to use it.

The primary thing now, is everything is right click to get options, and each side of the screen is for something else. Upper left brings up a panel with all windows, lower left something else, right side options and panels.

Microsoft is also trying their new Tablet style theory where everything should be pictures, no menus, no windows edges, etc. However, even their OS isn't fully compatible with itself as the control panels are all still written in the old style.

I gave my wife and her son each a laptop I bought from my company, and loaded it with Windows 8. After just a couple of pointers, they both are able to use it fine, and like it. My wife uses it attached to a TV to watch netflix and hulu. I bought her a wifi keyboard so she can sit on the couch and use it. It works very well for here this way and the new start screen is easy for here to see from further away.

Windows 8 SP1 will restore the start button and help the transition shock quite a bit. Windows 8 actually works quite well, and the Windows Defender anti virus is finally actually a real world capable protection and updates itself if you let it. Windows 8 integrates easily with facebook, webmail, etc and really, if all you want is mail, browser, some pictures, maybe watch Netflix, its a great OS.

Check out those "magazines" that talk about how to use it, or get a for Dummies book, our seek out free online Windows 8 training (Beware of fishers, and dont use any passwords you use anywhere else). Unlike when Microsoft switched to Vista, and changed everything about the interface, but didn't change the underlying OS, Windows 8 actually does incorporate many new features that actually are kind of neat.

And, if you have an Windows 8 phone or tablet, you now can enjoy having just one OS on all your devices, like an iPhone.

Unfortunately, as it is now, Windows 8 is unsuable for corporate users. In the new Windows Server 2012, the server equivalent of WIndows 8, they don't even use the new Start Page. I cant imaging trying to use windows 8 in the corporate environment where you want everything on desktops, network drives, multi screen. We'll see where it goes. But, for home users, I actually endorse it for the better security than windows 7, vista or XP.

Now, if you still have windows 7, vista or xp, you can download the microsoft security suite for free, and I highly recommend it if you don't have an AV already that you are happy with. The Microsoft suite did fail a test recently, but their explaination was that the vulnerability was theoretical only, and they only work up updates for virii that they know are in the wild already. Except for that, it scores as well as any of the others.

DEFINATELY, Good to Know Info! Thanks for the insight.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Usability rankings from experts in the field of intended software usability.(for Novice and Power Users alike)

http://www.nngroup.com/articles/windows ... usability/

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/usabi ... ing-954680
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well FatJack - :) I can do the Phil Mickelson flop shot with my 64 degree, 8 degree bounce wedge likely because my natural way of doing it is a lot like the way Phil does it but I only understood that because I saw Butch Harmon explain it and tell me what is happening which is likely a lot like having a network engineer transition you to a new OS.

Now to add some gratuitous sexiness to the situation. Here is Jane. She is the meanest $@& at The Gun Shop - don't cross her or it won't matter what OS you are using. I was going to call security yesterday but it got too serious so I decided to call Jane. She has a potentially very touchy operating system and you better watch how to engage it. Maybe like Windows 8 sounds for someone (like me) who wants to just turn the key and drive on. Don't care what is under the hood, though I do like the new 6 speed seal transmission and variable valve timing on my new Jeep but why does the radio sometimes answer the cell phone and not others - FatJack - HELP!

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

madman4570 wrote:Usability rankings from experts in the field of intended software usability.(for Novice and Power Users alike)

http://www.nngroup.com/articles/windows ... usability/

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/usabi ... ing-954680
read 'em and had to laugh. the experts keep talking about "cognitive overload" and the 'burden of remembering' where things are. LOL

so, in the expert's opinion the users are too stupid and uncurious to be able to use an os simplified with pictograms..... what does that say about affirmative action, eh?

these articles ignore or predate the dot1 release that lets users have the start menu back. and for the sake of productivity in office environments, yes, the task bar is the way to go. not saying that Msft didn't mis-think their approach moving a tablet environment onto the desk top, but the volks-reaction is hilarious. it's like no one who uses computers is able to retrain muscle memory. wait, maybe that it!

it's like showing a double action revolver to a cowboy and he just can't remember how it works :!:

sheesh
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

But then why retrain and re remember - what is gained from a users point of view? Here many are stuck on the way the Model 94 used to work with the half cock and all four clicks on the single action. I think the double action analogy fails in that with that you can always do it the old way. Seems like it might be more like going to double action only - which of course is a misnomer.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old Savage wrote:But then why retrain and re remember - what is gained from a users point of view? Here many are stuck on the way the Model 94 used to work with the half cock and all four clicks on the single action. I think the double action analogy fails in that with that you can always do it the old way. Seems like it might be more like going to double action only - which of course is a misnomer.
this is my exact point about the dot 1 upgrade, they're putting the start menu and I think the task bar back as an option. if it hasn't released it will soon but the beta version is around for trial and comparison.

I agree that for the office worker productivity environment the task bar is superior.

Most of the 'barriers' listed in those two articles are the results of affirmative action and NON education in the dotgovt propaganda industry. It's reaping what they sowed. So to the analogy: it's like giving an affirmative action cowboy a double action revolver....... :lol:

P.S. 4 of my boxes have WXP-Pro and the bookkeeping box has W2K and has never been connected to the internet. But my daily drive is Linux and I use it 99.99% of the time.
Last edited by Grizz on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Now Grizz, that is a complicated one - I will have to think about that. :D

But then, I have put many thousands of rounds though my S&Ws and maybe only a dozen double action - so, it is really just a better single action to me. :)