Lesson Learned

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Lesson Learned

Post by 1988rrc »

I was at the local gun store and noticed a 1873 saddle ring carbine on the shelf for $450.00; got it down for an inspection and find that it is rough shape, mainly rust (no pitting), a few missing screws (no big deal) and a stuck firing pin. It was well worth the money to me just to clean it up and bring it back to life. I set it back on the shelf thinking to my self, no one here will buy this thing and decided to to walk further up the counters to see what else was there while pulling out my cash. The next thing I see is this older gentleman grabbing up the carbine and walking toward me to ask what I though about it, pawing it and looking all over it, and then...........he talks the salesman into selling it to HIM for $350.00!!!!! SEVERAL LESSONS LEARNED.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Lesson Learned

Post by gamekeeper »

Ouch!.... :(
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nooooooooooo :shock: :o
Dude, that really sucks..... :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I've had similar experiences over the years. It's something called "you snooze you lose", and it sure makes a guy want to kick himself.

Now when I see one I 'might' be interested in at my favorite local shop, I ask them to set it aside and they are willing to put it in a back room and give me a few days to think about it. It's good business for them to treat long-time customers so fairly, and I usually end up buying it anyway.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'd call that "cheek"...

:x

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

Shasta wrote:Now when I see one I 'might' be interested in at my favorite local shop, I ask them to set it aside and they are willing to put it in a back room and give me a few days to think about it.SHASTA
.........LESSON #1

I tried my best to tell the gentleman how many 'issues' that rifle had and told him about the firing pin; he just wanted to hang it over the mantel as it was.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

1988rrc wrote:
I set it back on the shelf thinking to my self, no one here will buy this thing and decided to to walk further up the counters to see what else was there while pulling out my cash.
It's too bad you thought wrong, but at least you learned one of the basic lessons of looking, beit @ a LGS or a funshow: Once you pick something up, never let loose of it until you either buy it or decide not to.(aka: posession is 9/10 of the law)

You could have walked around, checking the other guns in stock, with the '73 in hand..............

1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

Pete44ru wrote:You could have walked around, checking the other guns in stock, with the '73 in hand...............
LESSON #2
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

THAT WAS YOU????

I really owe you man. What a screaming deal I got on that thing.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

^^^^
That was a joke.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Only took me two or three times at the gunshow saying "I'll come back and get it if I dont find something else better to spend my money on". Inevitably, I come back and it's gone. Always listen to your gut, if it tells you to buy, do it NOW, not later.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

You could have offered the buyer $400.00.

Kevin
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Don't lose too much sleep over, something better will come along. All the woulda, coulda n shoulda's just make you that more prepared. Tho I still think about the Marlin Cowboy 20" octagon barreled 32/20 for $399 I passed on. I console myself that it couldn't do anything my M94 30/30 can. But it was a sweet lever.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:You could have walked around, checking the other guns in stock, with the '73 in hand.
I did that with a 300 Blackout upper at the local toy-store during the bare-shelf days this past January; six or seven folks came up to me and asked if I wanted to sell it or what it was, and it wasn't even mine yet... :D That only convinced me more that I should buy it and not waver.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Ouch! Man what a downer! Then again with this lesson you will probably be the elder that doesn't hesitate some day!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Shasta wrote:
it sure makes a guy want to kick himself.
+1 ... :O
nc-kicking-machine.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

1988rrc wrote:
Shasta wrote:he just wanted to hang it over the mantel as it was.
I think I am going to cry!
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

I have also learned that hard lesson a couple times. I am a slow learner I guess. Now if I even think I might want to buy it it won't leave my hand. The last one I bought had been in the shop for at least 6 months before I decided I wanted it. I picked it up, put it back down, then picked it up again and kept it in my hands till I decided.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

:( Sorry you missed that one... It would have been worth bucks to me too just to clean up and goof around with, let alone shoot...

Ah yes...The one that got away... Mine was an M1 carbine original war config... Owner was an old guy that acquired it on the black market in Long Beach CA during the war... He hardly ever used it for fear of being caught with what he was sure was a stolen gun...He was still so worried about that as of 1999 when he wouldn't sell it to me because I was his neighbor and thought I mite rat him out if I got caught with it :lol: I even showed him how DCM sold them back in the 60s to no avail..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Ben_Rumson wrote::( Sorry you missed that one... It would have been worth bucks to me too just to clean up and goof around with, let alone shoot...

Ah yes...The one that got away... Mine was an M1 carbine original war config... Owner was an old guy that acquired it on the black market in Long Beach CA during the war... He hardly ever used it for fear of being caught with what he was sure was a stolen gun...He was still so worried about that as of 1999 when he wouldn't sell it to me because I was his neighbor and thought I mite rat him out if I got caught with it :lol: I even showed him how DCM sold them back in the 60s to no avail..
I believe I've met one of those DCM guns...

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

:) B@stid! :lol:

The old boy even had a box left of war dated ammo too!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

Oh, I didn't mention it was a .44-40.