Ammo coming back..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Ammo coming back..

Post by Bridger »

I think things are starting to get better around here. Most stores now seem to regularly have all the major centerfire calibers on hand, and I was walking through Walmart tonight and they actually had some 1000 rd .22lr bulk packs on hand for $50. Which actually wouldn't have been a bad price pre-Newtown. How is it looking where your at? I haven't been to a shop that sells reloading components lately, how's that looking?
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Ammo coming back..

Post by Eye-Bite! »

I got tired of looking for New 45-70 Brass and resorted to Once Fired Brass on GB. Got a Good supply now of Excellent Brass. Now to the question of New Brass.... Yes it starting to come on the market again and very slowly. .444 Marlin Cases seem to be in short supply although.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Still not much 22lr around, but I've seen most everything else in the various stores I frequent. Not back to fully stocked shelves yet, but if I'd wanted 9mm, 7.63 NATO, or 44 mag I could have bought it. Even bought some large rifle primers last month.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, ammo seems to be filllin' up shelves, but components are still fairly scarce.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My Walmart still doesn't have any 30-30 rnds.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

Is $35 to $40 per 1000 the new normal price for "name brand" primers?
That is what I've been able to find at a couple of places I normally buy components.
I have had better luck finding large pistol primers than I have small pistol.
Georgia On My Mind
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We weren't short of big game ammo but 9mm ball is still in short supply, at least to us as is .22 LR, .22 WMRF, .45 ACP Ball, bullets, primers and powders. I was just by the shop and he had notice that the distributor had bullets and he was rushing to order what he needed before it was gone.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I went to out local sporting goods store yesterday and the center fire ammo was well stocked. But no powder or primers. They had 16 M4 type firearms on the wall priced from 649.00 to 6400.00. I was surprised that the DPMS guns were less than 800.00.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I went to a new gun shop yesterday and I could have made money selling bulk 7.62 M80. The supply was a few boxes of .308 at high prices. Place is called 'discount guns' and the prices are premium so I wonder what they're discounting.... credulity perhaps? Lots of black toys, if that's not too racist for the crowd...

Haven't checked walmart but doubt they are up to 'norm'. I think the buy and sell routine is still in high gear here.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Local WallyWorld has bare shelves. I doubt there was 20 boxes of everything they had. They had some shotgun shells of various types....The local Cabela's seems to have plenty of most. Makes me think that this particular WallyWorld might be phasing out ammo. I'm thinking I might have a lifetime supply of many different calibers on hand, including about 30,000 primers of all sorts, and 15 bricks plus loose 22.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

DO NOT GET YOUR HOPES UP!!

Ammo and components will be in short supply for some time to come. It will dribble in and what dribbles in (that's popular) will be scarfed up by ammo & component mongers.

THEN.....................if the pig that is married to Bill Klinton announces her nomination, the atmosphere in the gun crowd will make the Obama atmosphere look like child's play.

For us guncranks, it was a big fight to get to the top, it will be harder staying there.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

The ammo supply is definitely making a comeback here in Sacto. The only things still missing are the popular powders. IMR and Varget are non-existent. Other components can be found, though.

Bulk prices for .223 and 9mm are still too high. Getting bulk 45 Colt is pretty tough. Haven't seen that locally in a while.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Sportsman's Warehouse in Redding, CA had good supplies of center fire ammo today, but no rimfire ammo. Primers were available for $3.50 per hundred and limit of 500. Still no powder to be had, but the jacketed bullet selection looks to be getting better. I got 500 CCI Small Pistol primers and a box of 158 grain Hornady XTP bullets so I can make up some SD loads for my .357 Magnum Ruger SP101.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Drier than a popcorn f@*t here!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I dont know where it's coming back from, but it sure isn't stopping here on it's way. :cry:

No .22 ammo, no components, powder, primers, nothing.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Walmart has a scattered selection of centerfire rifle hunting ammo (no .308 or .223 for months). No rimfire ammo of any flavor. My favorite LGS, when I was in there last, had a few pounds of 4 or 5 types of rifle powder, a slim selection of bullets, but did have primers @$4.00 a hundred with a limit of 200. I actually traded them a couple of bricks of Aquilla .22 LR that I didn't like for powder, primers, bullets, and cash in my pocket. Those were the only .22 LR in the store when I left.

Checking online for reloading components is hit or miss, with 95% miss. I have been looking for H4350 without success, but did score some Hodgdon Hybrid 100V online recently.

I don't see any evidence of it getting any better, but I began preparing for this years ago so I am not hurting. I recently acquired a Savage .243 bolt action that I needed powder, brass, and bullets for and I have been able to find enough to get me started.

With the current political climate, which I don't see improving in the forseeable future, I think it will be years before supplies return to normal. However, when supplies do catch up I see prices settling in at a new high.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Empty shelves around here.

One brick of large pistol primers on the shelf, sticker said $54.95...when asked why...the answer was "because I can".
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Empty shelves around here.

One brick of large pistol primers on the shelf, sticker said $54.95...when asked why...the answer was "because I can".
My favorite LGS jacked up everything way, way up. I'll go to Cabela's nowadays....they maintained normal prices throughout this whole mess no matter how low inventory was, and their prices only went up with their costs....I'll have no truck with gougers.... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Well I got the last two pounds of H4895 to hit the LA area, haven't touched them yet. Still have about 500 rounds of 22lr. And 10,000 primers. May be hurting for IMR 4227 before too long, but don't have much time to load or shoot, either. So it may last for that reason.

Nothing in the stores.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Bimart opened a store here a few months ago. Every once in a while they have a few pounds of powder, but they have had CCI primers for 3.59 per 100. Large rifle is scarce, but they have had a steady supply of small pistol and large pistol. Remington large rifle are 4.69 when they have them.

One other store had 9 pounds of 4198 a week or so ago. Nothing else recently.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Academy Sports and Outdoors just off of Forest Lane in Dallas had a pretty good selection of everything but 9mm and .22lr yesterday, and a limit of 100 rounds per caliber. I got some .40 and some .45 to replace what I shot at my last range session.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Nada at Wally save for a box of 243 and something else that I couldn't quite make out and some 410.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

All 3 of the local Wallys have really bare shelves. A little shotgun stuff, a few less popular HG , like shot. and thats it. Was at my LGS today to p/u a popular model Glock Id ordered about a month ago, and surprise it got here last week. He s got limited amts of ammo, a fair amt of 9mm, 40 and 45. A thousand or two of each. They had also a few cases of 556. Things seem to be filtering slowly back in.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sportsman warehouse In Casper had some ammo, but I would have bought primers
and powder if they had some, Heck im better stocked than them guys

ollogger
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Still pretty dry in Tucson. No .22LR to be had, powder is really dry and brass is short. Most everything trickles in, but it's gone within minutes so you have to be Johnny on the spot to get it. Primers have not been a problem for some reason (thank goodness) and most ammo has been available here and there as well, but .22 LR is crazy - mostly unobtainium.
Last edited by olyinaz on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
a__l__a__n
Levergunner

Post by a__l__a__n »

ollogger wrote:Sportsman warehouse In Casper had some ammo, but I would have bought primers
and powder if they had some, Heck im better stocked than them guys

ollogger
Yep. me too.
Well, if it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

there is a new archery and ammo supply shop by me ran by a mennonite. I stopped in to see what he had. was shocked at the prices. They were low as I have seen in a while. i bought a box of 38 special american eagle for 24.99/50 rds. The .357 magnum was only three bucks more.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

rossim92 wrote:there is a new archery and ammo supply shop by me ran by a mennonite. I stopped in to see what he had. was shocked at the prices. They were low as I have seen in a while. i bought a box of 38 special american eagle for 24.99/50 rds. The .357 magnum was only three bucks more.
It's a sad day when 50 cents a round is a good price for .38 Spcl. :cry: I think the last I paid for factory .38's was about $11 a box. I still have a good supply of those and lots of brass, bullets, powder and primers. I think I'll load a 100 or so this afternoon.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

olyinaz wrote:Still pretty dry in Tucson. No .22LR to be had, powder is really dry and brass is short. Most everything trickles in, but it's gone within minutes so you have to be Johnny on the spot to get it. Primers have not been a problem for some reason (thank goodness) and most ammo has been available here and there as well, but .22 LR is crazy - mostly unobtainium.
I haven't been to Tucson lately, but my regular stop in Safford had powder this week. Saw powder in a couple shops in NM too. Primers are around, kind of hit and miss, but no .22 lr anywhere.

Seen 9mm, .40, .380, .45, 5.56 NATO and 7.62 NATO. Bought some 7.62 surplus even though it was $0.75/round, as it was at one of two stores I like that carry surplus ammo -- got to support them some after all. That shop even had a little Rusky steel case .308 ball, but I suspect it was from someone cleaning out their loaded mags as it was in bags rather than boxes.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The local Wall-Mart today had lots of shot shells but not one .22 shell.
They had primers but with a limit of 100 (one box)per customer per day.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

My local Walmart had .22WMR HP today for $13 and change for a box of 50. That's the first rimfire I've seen there in a long time, other than 22 shorts for $3.97 a box. I probably bought 15 boxes of shorts over a couple of days for the grand kids. My LGS has had .22LR...even bricks...off and on and very fairly priced while WM has had none. Go figure.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

mod71alaska wrote:My local Walmart had .22WMR HP today for $13 and change for a box of 50. That's the first rimfire I've seen there in a long time, other than 22 shorts for $3.97 a box. I probably bought 15 boxes of shorts over a couple of days for the grand kids. My LGS has had .22LR...even bricks...off and on and very fairly priced while WM has had none. Go figure.
.22 mag has been available here throughout this mess. Go figure!
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
1894c

Post by 1894c »

please see attached...this is an ancient photo of what we're looking for...if any one sees these objects please advise this forum immediately...thank you in advance your cooperation is appreciated... :O
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

As it happens I just drove up to Reno to relax. Cabellas seemed to have pretty much everything in stock you could want. I bought a couple of 20 round boxes of 308 winchester for less than 40 out the door and they were not the cheapest on the shelf. The reloading section was pretty well stocked as well. That having been said I did not see any lee turret presses. They had progressives in stock as well as single stage. Just not any turrets that I could find.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

At the flea market on saturday, 100 9mm FMJ- $30.00. 40 rounds Corbon 60gr. hollowpoint .32 ACP $30.00. The hoarders are cracking, Mamma wants to go to the beach! :lol:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Not here......hunting ammo...and some shotgun ammo in small amounts
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Cabella's on line had CCI Minimags this AM (my fav as far as .22lr is concerned) and Rem. Vipers (not a fav). One 100rd box limit! :shock:

Well, dagnabbit, that sucks but I did need some other items so I grabbed a box of each, put them with another few items, added the CLUBFIVE promo code that gives me $5 shippng on all orders since I'm a Cabella's Visa card user and got my order in while the ammo was still in stock. Should give me two nice sessions at the range without buring what I've got. :)

$5 shipping? I'd burn more gas than that in my hemi running around town. :lol:
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright