Computer question,...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Computer question,...

Post by Malamute »

My old laptop died, I got 7 years out of it, guess I cant complain. In looking at new ones, several folks have mentioned they didn't like windows 8, and windows 7 seemed more friendly. Should I look for one with 7 on it? I didn't like the 8 at the store, even though the guy at the store thinks it's hot stuff.

Any ideas on where else to look for a moderately priced laptop? I was looking at wal mart, at the HP that was about $350 (more than is in my discretionary budget in any event). It may take a while to save up to buy it, but I'd like to at least stay away from the lowest end types.

May be a few days before I see any replies. Been getting a lot of house cleaning and yard work done, but I'm willing to admit I like having a computer.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Computer question,...

Post by Sixgun »

No puter guru either and I also replaced our desktop a couple of months ago. The guy at Staples strongly suggested we get the "7" version. That's all I can suggest.----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`ve had pretty good luck with this Toshiba Satelite lap top, ran good for four years or so then the hard drive took a dump.
I took it to a whiz and he put a new hard drive in it for 115.00 parts and labor, saved all my old info and still have Window 7 :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I will be the first to admit that W8 takes a little/lot of getting used to. I opted for speed, ended up with an HP laptop with intel- core i5. spose to be fastest one going. After learning which buttons to push W8 is working just fine. Never worked with Tiles before but I'm learning. Don't be afraid of technology and innovation, U learned to Compute didn't U ?
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

I've purchased 2 refurbished Dell Latitude laptops on ebay. One for myself and one for my kid. Each was less than $200 delivered with a 30 day warranty.
Not the fastest out there, but they are okay for surfing the web and for homework.
Good luck with your search.

Dave B
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

These days even the lower tier computers will get the job done as far as basic computing goes.
I'm no fan of Windows 8 because it seems to be an OS designed for touch screen devices though
Microsoft is going to restore the start button in a fix this fall. In lieu of waiting for Microsoft to fix the lack of start
button there is this:

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

it's cheap and works quite well, very customizable.

Good luck in your search for a new computer.

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Heck, I'm still using Windows XP
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It's the Plus, its got "a meg" and running Excel 1.03 :)

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:It's the Plus, its got "a meg" and running Excel 1.03 :)

As Spock once said in 19th Century USA.......I'm being forced to use bear skins and stone knives to make a time machine.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I just bought a new Dell 17" laptop with Windows 7. They are getting harder to find. I've seen and heard enough about Windows 8 to stay away for as long as possible.
The Dell 17r has an I5 processor, 6gb memory and a 1TB drive, and cost $525.
This is my third Dell laptop in a dozen years. I've had good results with Dell.

Jack
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I bought my most recent replacement computer at a pawn shop and took it to my computer guru and had him wipe it clean as if it were brand new.That eliminates all prior owner's additions,etc.
This one is a Toshiba Satellite and I am satisfied with it.I got a good deal at right around $200.
This is the third one I have purchased at the shop and haven't had a problem with any of them after getting the computer guru to sprinkle his magic monkey dust on them or whatever he does to "clean them up".His charge was less than $100.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Can tell you one shown below was what I bought for daughter (5) years ago and unlike all our Dells(not one bit of trouble)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+S ... Id=8119044

and also---------------which I would do a first backup right from the get go and then every so often after.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/toshiba-ca ... rod9360198

Another option(backup) Seagate 2TB external hard drive and Acronis software. :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm currrently using two HP laptops, one at home and one in the truck, (a dv7000 series and a dv9000 series). The one in the truck is a hand-me-down from my son (in what other field do parents get hand-me-downs from their kids?), and a 12 year old Pavilion here at the house. Well, except when I bring the one from the truck into to house to use...

I've had good luck with both, both are running Windows 7 Ultimate. Yep, unless you're looking for a touch screen unit, stick with Win 7.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You don't need much computing power to go online, or store simple programs and apps....My I-Mac runs flawlessly, but, it's like having a Rolls to take hunting in the boondocks....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My PC has 7 and laptop has 8. I much prefer 7. :D
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

As someone else has mentioned it is almost impossible to buy a computer these days that won't work well for the internet and such! That having been said Microsoft has announced Windows 8.1 which will have some concessions to those users who hate Windows 8. If at all possible wait for that. Otherwise I would buy the least expensive window 7 machine I could find. Windows 8 is the result of Microsoft being stuck against a cliff with an enormous boulder roaring down the hill to crush them. They tried to leverage there desktop developers to succeed in the phone and tablet marketplaces. All they accomplished was to alienate there user base and developers! I say again wait this out if at all possible though I understand that it might not be.
Alan Wood
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Thanks for the input guys. I happened to run into a friend that said they just retired a computer at work, it has to be wiped before they dispose of it, but I can run my XP discs in it and stay up and floating til l I can get a new one. I may order a new one with windows 7, or see how the new 8.1 works. I'm not real picky, so long as it works and I can tool around on the net, but didn't feel like dealing with the sort of things I've heard about 8. New is fine so long as its truly an improvement. Many new things need to get the bugs worked out of them before they are at their best.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

If you can't get anything but 8 (and around here, it's hard to find anything else) and you don't like it, download free Windows Classic Shell for Windows 8 and voila -- you'll never know you've left 7 behind.