New Winchester Model 1873

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

New Winchester Model 1873

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Howdy, gents:

Picked this up last week, and thought I would share a few pics and first impressions with you. This is the newly minted Winchester 1873 made by Miroku. Introductory caliber is 38/357. Bright blue finish with round barrel as was standard production for the Winchester 1873 back in the day. Overall fit and finish is excellent! Action is very smooth and light. Rifle seems to run any thing I have put through it, whether 357 or 38 spl. Nice straight grain wood with a soft "oil" finish. Wood to metal fit is on par with original pre-war Winchesters. Clearly aimed at the Cowboy Action market. Price point is about the same as a new Uberti 73.

Tang marking as per original, but not as well done as I would like to see!

Carrier is marked with caliber, as per the original Winchester 1873.Image

This rifle is set up with a 20 inch round barrel. Note that the forearm has been properly proportioned/shortened as standard for a short rifle.
Last edited by Grizzly Adams on Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New Winchester Model 1873

Post by Alan Wood »

Interesting that it seems to handle both 38 and 357 without trouble. I thought that the 73's were quite sensitive to ammo length.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

There've been some changes to Ubertis over the years... early models had a nice long ramp in the front of the carrier, which would allow shorter cartridges to get pushed back in the mag tube. In newer versions, Uberti shortened this ramp, reducing the range of cartridge length that could be handled.

My 1986 production '73 has about a 45º ramp, and my 2004 has about a 30º ramp... much steeper. I suspect that FN (Browning, who I understand took the lead on this model as the product management team), listened to the cowboy action market with their complaints on the later Ubertis.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Looks darn nice! I expected rounded corners on the wood and typical gaps, but it's looks to be as good as an Uberti. Can you show us the roll markings on the barrel?

Thanks for the look and report!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

How is it (and the Uberti 73) with full power 357 Mag loads? I've wondered if the toggle links can hold up to those or are they CAS level ammo only?
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

She's a beauty! Thank goodness no tang mounted safety on this one. I'll take a Miroku over a Uberti just about any day.
Thanks for the report & pictures.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Looks really nice, a fine addition to your lever stable :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

Outstanding! I always prefer bright blue to case coloring on receivers.

Regards, Gerry
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Oly: I guess I would have to give the edge to the Miroku in terms of overall quality. Seems to be built to closer tolerances.

44-40 Willy: These clones, both the Uberti and Winchester, are proofed for 357. Uberti is now selling a 73 in 44 Mag!

Friends call me Ji: No safety buttons or rebounding hammers - just a standard half-cock on the hammer. It does have a firing pin block, which would prevent the firing pin extension from leaving the frame in the case of a catastrophic event. I suspect competition shooters and purists who don't like "improvements" on original designs, will be removing it within a few minutes of unpacking! Looks like a 5 minute job to me.... :lol:

Forgot to mention that the tang is tapped for a tang sight just as the original were! :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
Nice rig, Grizz....
Where are these available.. I've been waitin'.........
BTW, how's it shoot?

Thanks,
Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice rifle Grizz. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Pitchy wrote:Nice rifle Grizz. 8)
Thanks, Pitchy. :D

Quyana cekneq, Neva
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

That's a beaut! I've shot the heck of my Uberti '73 and it's held up fine. From what I've seen of Miroku's guns I wouldn't be a bit surprised if yours is a step up in quality.
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

If the fit and finish and overall quality are as good as my '92 Miroku 357 - and I'm sure it is - then you have a fine rifle. Miroku builds a fine lever gun.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

That is a very good looking '73. It should have great appeal among cowboy action shooters. I have several Miroku-made guns and they are all top quality.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

A fine rifle indeed. It would be hard to use that one for CAS. I had a hard time deciding to quit using mine for CAS because it (Uberti 73) is just to nice to beat up,and Cowboy guns do get beat up. My Marlins get to play Cowboy and the 73 stands in the safe at this point. That may change at a later date.
:D
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:A fine rifle indeed. It would be hard to use that one for CAS. I had a hard time deciding to quit using mine for CAS because it (Uberti 73) is just to nice to beat up,and Cowboy guns do get beat up. My Marlins get to play Cowboy and the 73 stands in the safe at this point. That may change at a later date.
:D
I hear ya, Chuck! I had the same feelings about using my Browning BSS shotgun for CAS. Left it in the safe for 5 years while I struggled with a Stoeger . Finally sent the Browning off to be set up for CAS by a gunsmith who specializes in them. Wow! The Browning is not only a great shotgun, but it's a fantastic CAS shotgun. This 1873 will go onto the gun cart along with it's Uberti 73 brothers, because it's too good not to use! :lol: At my age, I try to eat off the good china. :wink:

Quyana cekneq, Neva
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Congratulations - nice gun! How about a full pic of it? Easy for me to say, I don't CAS, but use the heck out of it! I'd like to see them make a SRC.
Ed.- With the extranneous "safety" add ons thankfully banished from the '73, would be interesting to hear what the justification for keeping them on the 92s and 94s - maybe hope for them too?
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Okay, add me to the list of a few more pictures: specifically...can you take a sideplate off and get us a picture of the guts? Also, will SOME parts interchange with originals? i need a dust cover (bought one in a parts bin at a gun show last year for $5...and promptly lost it!!). On ebay now they bring over $100. Oh well. I was on record as stating that due to liability concerns Winchester would NEVER make the 1873 again. I stand humbly corrected :oops: . Now i can keep the dream alive for a Winchester produced 1866 (but in the original 44RF).
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Here's a shot without the sideplate. Bright spots are oil sheen...

Here is a link to some pics of a tear down done by another cowboy on the SASS Wire.

http://s1311.photobucket.com/albums/s676/Boomstick_Jay

The bolt and firing pin assembly is very similar to the Uberti set up in that it is two piece. The firing pin block is much like the one found on the 86. Lever cam has greater bearing surface. Lifter arm is a bit more robust.

As for parts interchangeability with the original, I really doubt it. I did compare the carriers, and can tell you they are not the same.

I will try to get a full length shot up later. Photobucket is being a pain right now........

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's one imported gun that does impress me as we all know the Japs make near indestructible weapons. I never would have thought that the Japs would repro the '73 and one thing for sure, that gun will hold up for tens of thousands of any kind of ammo you can feed it. I know guys who have put 10-20 thou out of 86's.

People say the 73 action is weak. Its not weak, its just not as strong as an 86.

But Grizz, I disagree with 'ya on one point, ain't no regular production gun out there that can equal the wood to metal fit like a pre-1900 Winchester. :D

How much it set you back, about 12?------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

ColColt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ColColt »

It's a joy to once again see this model in production with the Winchester name. I'd sure like to see it chambered for the 44-40.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

My understanding is that Winchester WILL be offering this rifle in 44-40 next time around. A high grade version is also on the way, with a case hardened frame and a step up in wood.

Sixgun, you are right about pre-1900 Winchesters, but this one is as close as it comes!

Check out Wolf Bane's blog for his impressions and some nice pics!

http://michaelbane.blogspot.com

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Grizz, That's a neat website, not only for guns but also for politics.-----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Very nice looking 73! Thanks for the pix
A 32-20 or 38-40 would be sweet too
I did pass on that 73 uberti in the white, had it been like your Winchester, id be
shooting it right now

ollogger
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

That is one beautiful 73! When they make the 44-40 I am definitely getting one. In the meantime, let's hope that the head honchos at Winchester realize that their 86s, 92s, 94s and 95s would also benefit from an action minus the rebounding hammer and tang safety as shown is the case with this new 73.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Great looking gun. I jumped on an Uberti (45 Colt) last fall and I am very please with it, but I would have preferred a Miroku. I have a Miroku 92 (.357) that is a gem in fit, finish and accuracy. I'm sure the Miroku 73 is the same. I'm always the last to find out about new models and probably a little impatient too. Strange how things have changed. Not many years ago we would not be talking about Italian or Japanese products but which American made rifle was the best. :cry:
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

http://s1311.photobucket.com/albums/s676/Boomstick_Jay

I thought it was reported that it had a coil spring for the hammer. These photos show a flat spring????
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

rbertalotto wrote:http://s1311.photobucket.com/albums/s676/Boomstick_Jay

I thought it was reported that it had a coil spring for the hammer. These photos show a flat spring????
I read some speculation by folks who had not seen one that it would have coil springs like the others made by Miroku. No coil springs in this model! :)

The hammer spring in the Winchester is however, different than the one used in the Uberti version.

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Saturday at our Monthly Cowtown Cowboy Shooters Match a local Gun Smith had a new Winchester for us to handle and do a visual inspection. The comment he made was the piece can not be timed to function as fast as the Uberti. He tried the piece with 38's & 357's. 357's functioned the best, but not great. His report was major problems with 38's when at CAS/SASS speeds. This shooter usually shoots average in the high teens low 20's per stage and is a top 10% SASS shooter.

This is only one report of many to come on this new Rifle.

For me, I will buy one when the 44WCF appears. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30