Rossi 92, broken forearm band screw.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
junkwrencher
Levergunner 1.0

Rossi 92, broken forearm band screw.

Post by junkwrencher »

Disassembling my new Rossi carbine, I broke the screw that goes through the forearm band. I am trying to figure out the thread pitch on the screw. .8X1.815 maybe? I believe the diameter is 4mm. I have a 4mm X 1.125 and it is not even close.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Rossi 92, broken forearm band screw.

Post by Blaine »

junkwrencher wrote:Disassembling my new Rossi carbine, I broke the screw that goes through the forearm band. I am trying to figure out the thread pitch on the screw. .8X1.815 maybe? I believe the diameter is 4mm. I have a 4mm X 1.125 and it is not even close.
http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossi_92_Parts.htm
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Contact Nate Kiowa Jones (aka Steve) at Steve's Gunz.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

RossiUSA sells them as well. How did you break it?
junkwrencher
Levergunner 1.0

Post by junkwrencher »

I was taking it apart to thin the wood and inspect for rust. Compared to an original it is a little fat especially on the forearm. It also boasts some very sharp edges near the barrel. The threads broke in the wood which seamed to be swelled.
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Yup I got 2 Rossi 92's, a Trapper and a Ranch Hand,I hate to mess with them and leave well enough alone.
It don't seem to matter what forum your on and its fix repair improve your Rossi. Too bad we can't build a quality gun up here at a realistic price.
I just use and clean my Rossi's I guess you can't expect much for the price difference and I doubt there will be any value in my Rossi's in the future unlike our Winchesters
Can you imagine the old west if they have had to use Rossi's with all these issues? Thank God for Mr Brownings ideas and Mr Winchesters factory and business sense.
Mind you we could help the employment in this country if we all shot and used Rossi's; we 'd need a dang site more gunsmiths.

Doc.
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”
Wyatt Earp: San Francisco Examiner-August 2,1896

junkwrencher
Levergunner 1.0

Post by junkwrencher »

I don't need a gunsmith, just a screw. I'm in the present east and have been using Rossi for a couple of years with no problems. The broke screw is not a failure of the firearm while in use but rather general dis-assembly which is and should be done from time to time. If you've never pulled the forearm off a levergun and used it in all sorts of weather and never clean the magazine tube, eventually it will fail no matter the make or material.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

If its a Rossi, you can use bailing wire. Just wrap it around about 3 times.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

junkwrencher wrote:I don't need a gunsmith, just a screw. I'm in the present east and have been using Rossi for a couple of years with no problems. The broke screw is not a failure of the firearm while in use but rather general dis-assembly which is and should be done from time to time. If you've never pulled the forearm off a levergun and used it in all sorts of weather and never clean the magazine tube, eventually it will fail no matter the make or material.
I do hear you on about that. When purchased, everyone seems to just on replacing the magazine follower and ejector spring but my first object (I have six 92s) was the forearm fit. On all the rifles, the cut across the barrel had to be relieved further to allow the screw to get past. I would swear that they locked my 454 in a vice, put a padded wrench on the receiver and twisted while another fellow threaded the screw. The screw was damaged and had to be tossed. I also remove the trace of wood between the barrel and magazine tube, this strip was completely cracked on five out of six of the rifles I purchased.

I called TarusUSA and ordered six of the screws as they are common with the Rio Grande as well, I have three of those.
junkwrencher
Levergunner 1.0

Post by junkwrencher »

Ranch Dog, could you supply me with the Rossi part # and route you used with some detail with Rossi etc. I've contacted Nate Jones and M&M Gunsmithing and neither could help me out. I've also been to several hardware stores and tried to find a similar screw thread pitch or even some threaded rod and have had no luck. At this point the bailing wire that was mentioned in humor is being considered. By the way, I read your thread over at Rossi and you do good work and thanks for the information.
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

Just call RossiUSA (305-645-1115) and give them your serial number. That is all there is to it. It is best to call Tuesday through Thursday, mid-day.
junkwrencher
Levergunner 1.0

Post by junkwrencher »

Ranch Dog, thank you very much. I ordered my screws. They come three to a pack and they are on back-order. I waited on the phone at caller #11 for 45+minutes but the customer service people were very nice and did what I needed.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Sixgun wrote:If its a Rossi, you can use bailing wire. Just wrap it around about 3 times.--------Sixgun
Ouch, harsh. I love my Rossi 92 357. But, yes, I have problems with both barrel band screws.
gman1951
Levergunner

Post by gman1951 »

I broke the same screw on my 92, Rossi/Taurus wanted $22 for one.
My fix was to drill the head side and the stock to 4mm and then run a 4mm tap (undrilled) then put a 4mm x 35mm screw through.
I had to file it down a little to get it flush, but even with the purchase of the tap I was under $5.
And It is stronger than what I had to begin with! Don't get ripped off!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

^^^^

yes, as I was reading through this thread I kept thinking, why not just drill out the barrel band holes and tap to a thread that you can find screws for
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Makes sense to me...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
NotDeadEd
Levergunner

Post by NotDeadEd »

Just as an FYI, mine broke at a match last week, so I took the threaded bit that was left to my local hardware store and found out the screw is a 6-32 x 1-1/4 or 1-1/2. The 1-1/2 was just a bit long, but left room for a lock washer and nut, and I cut about 1/4” off and it threaded in the band.
The benefit? The screws were under 50 cents each...
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I read all the negative stuff about Rossi's and wonder .. what the heck?

I ran a Rossi .357 for years. No issues at all. I slicked it up like I would most any levergun. It is still going though I don't own it anymore. And that has been years.

I have a .357 Rossi with a mile and a half long barrel ... Octagon at that. Heavy as a load of Guilt. At least it seems that way since I am used to the Trapper. Paco gave me the Rossi. It is slick running and has caused no problems and has no issues that I am aware of. Other than the guy holding onto it.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Jim,

I'm still shooting your old Rossi .38/.357. Still as slick as it was the first time I saw it in Raton.

I believe that was the year that they took that embarrassing photo of us picking up .38 Special off the ground outside of the housing unit. :shock:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:00 pm Jim,

I'm still shooting your old Rossi .38/.357. Still as slick as it was the first time I saw it in Raton.

I believe that was the year that they took that embarrassing photo of us picking up .38 Special off the ground outside of the housing unit. :shock:
Ha! Good times, those.
Thanks for the update on the Rossi.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I still stand by my answer which I gave 7 years ago.

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:39 pm I still stand by my answer which I gave 7 years ago.
No argument from me, my friend.
(tho sometimes i ask questions)
:D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:59 am
Sixgun wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:39 pm I still stand by my answer which I gave 7 years ago.
No argument from me, my friend.
(tho sometimes i ask questions)
:D
Jim,
I realize I stereotype modern low priced foreign guns to a major negative degree which is not always fair....and yes, I can be very belligerent concerning this issue.

Let me explain myself .....I'm so American I make Trump look like a communist......and I do have extensive experience with cartridge guns from near all makes, models and calibers from the 1870's on. This experience involves owning, shooting, working on and reloading for them. I was the "go to" guy when gun problems surfaced at cowboy shooting matches concerning lever actions and sixguns and it was always the same guns...Rossi's, Ubertis and some modern Marlin and Winchester guns....rare was a Ruger, Colt or any old classic.

Mostly problems such as feeding and case hardening issues where contact points would wear prematurely. Most of the time I could fix em and get the guy rolling, many times I had to let them borrow my hundred year+ gun to finish the match.

I got to thinking...mmmmm, here I am shooting thousands of rounds from Colt Lightnings, '92's, S.A. Colts..blah blah...and I'm shooting them fast and hard...no problems and these guns were made when industrial technology was in its infancy.

Out of the box, no question, a fair percentage of these modern guns need simple gunsmithing skills before they run. Should not be that way......I've said it before, "would you buy a Ford truck if 10% of the finished product had defective steering wheels?" :D ---6

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I understood your reasoning and like I said, have no argument about it.
I like the old guns best myself. My favorites were the 1886 Winchester in .45-70 and the Model 71 Winchester .348 ... the Model 71 being the best of the best for me.
And I have had good luck with the imported leverguns. I know not everyone does. Mine started back in the early 1960's with a Spanish-made El Tigre Model 92 in .44-40. I was young and stupid and should never have traded that gun, but I needed a dual carb setup for the full-race flathead Ford V8 I was building. -sigh-

Stay well my friend.