Leveraction prospects: need some advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Leveraction prospects: need some advice

Post by Treeman72 »

I am looking at obtaining a Rossi 92 .357, but just wanted some wise words first. Now that there is a bit of gun mania out there, are leveractions still obtainable? Only 30-30s in my immediate area of central NY. Would an 8 in the tube large loop carbine be subject to the stupidity of Cuomo? Is 357 and 38 special out of stock at bulk online stores?

My laptop is busted, and many online stores won't show back ordered status in mobile view. Appreciate any help that I can get.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Leveraction prospects: need some advice

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have a 20" blued version. It is a pretty boring rifle. It shoots and feeds everything I feed quite well. Mine even cycles wadcutters in 38p cases. Cant answer about New York. Hope you find one soon. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If I were still a NYS resident, I'd surely wait until April 15, when the decisions regarding rifle with magazines other than detachables, with a capacity of over 7 rounds, should be finalized.

Right now, one hand doesn't seem to know what the other's doing, in that regard, between the legislators & enforcement.

I know that I wouldn't want to have to register & pay a special tax on a levergun, as if it were a machine gun - but YMMV.

Maybe button (1/2-length) mags will make a come-back in leverguns, due to the NYS Law. :mrgreen:

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pete44ru wrote:If I were still a NYS resident, I'd surely wait until April 15, when the decisions regarding rifle with magazines other than detachables, with a capacity of over 7 rounds, should be finalized.

Right now, one hand doesn't seem to know what the other's doing, in that regard, between the legislators & enforcement.

I know that I wouldn't want to have to register & pay a special tax on a levergun, as if it were a machine gun - but YMMV.

Maybe button (1/2-length) mags will make a come-back in leverguns, due to the NYS Law. :mrgreen:

Seems like a fella could cut the mag tube cheaper than buying a license. I usually don't put more than four or five in, with several on a butt cuff holder.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bud's Guns lists quite a few Rossi's. If they have the "buy it" button turned on, they have 'em in stock.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Treeman,
Simplify the whole mess. Grab a stack of green notes, drive 200 miles south and hit a good Pa gunshow, such as the Allentown Pa. show next month. Theres more leverguns out there than you can shake a stick at.

I would never let a stupid law like that stop me from enjoying life. Some times a bit of civil disobedience needs to be done...by the masses.....if they have the balls.-----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Treeman,
Simplify the whole mess. Grab a stack of green notes, drive 200 miles south and hit a good Pa gunshow, such as the Allentown Pa. show next month. Theres more leverguns out there than you can shake a stick at.

I would never let a stupid law like that stop me from enjoying life. Some times a bit of civil disobedience needs to be done...by the masses.....if they have the balls.-----------------Sixgun
Testicularity rules the day...Molon Labe :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think ammo availability is somewhat regional. We're out of .38 Special, nearly so 9mm ball, practically so .45 ball, have some .357 Magnum, pretty good on the .40 S&W. The .38/.357 is an easy case to reload (hint, hint) and brass lasts. Lots of powders work if you are willing to compromise a bit to get ammo and one can use cast bullets effectively. It is one levergun chambering you can use for everything east of the Mississippi (except moose if you have them) including small game and self-defense. The rifles are light, compact, don't excite people the way modern sporting rifles apparently do. If necessary you could make it a half/button mag relatively easily although the tubular magazines were supposedly to be exempted. Sometimes you have to take a chance. I know of one NY resident who took a chance on a WASR-2 5.45x39... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

Actually trying to get rid of my AR. Got it to enjoy it, not squirrel it away. Probably gonna have to travel to PA or VT to trade it in. From what I understand about the new NY laws, it can't be passed to anyone in NY. Hope I can atleast get rid of it out of state. All disposable income is tied up in it and its accessories.
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Pretty sure NYS has limit only on detachable mags. http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

In NY all bets are off. They're trying to ostracize gun owners so I wouldn't lay any hopes on lever guns either.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd say one of the BEST rifles a person can own is a lever action rifle in one of the 'pistol' cartridges; preferably a cartridge for which you also have one or more handguns.

With just those two or three firearms, you can cover most needs, really well, and not spend all that much money, either. Commonality of ammunition is great, plus they are straight-wall cases that can generally be loaded to 'moderate' power with minimal brass fatigue, yet still get effective results downrange.

If you get a .357 or .44 Mag, you not only have a wide selection of longer-barrel single-action 'field' guns, but lots of 'magnum' and 'special' chambered double-action shorties perfect for concealed carry. The latter category is a bit problematic with the .45 Colt, unfortunately (maybe someday Charter Arms will do a Bulldog Pug in .45 Colt 8), but it is still a good choice too. Plus, if you opt for .45 Colt, you can get a dual-cylinder Blackhawk and shoot .45 ACP's, and use a 1911 for your CCW gun.

Then you still have lots of bases covered, with a levergun and field revolver and CCW semiauto that share two cartridges.

If you have a favorite 'pistol' caliber revolver already, just start with a Rossi in that chambering, whatever barrel length you feel handles best. I REALLY like those little 16" ones, regardless of chambering.

As to the 'magazine capacity', I'm sure you could install a 'plug' VERY easily that would limit you to seven rounds, if you decided to humor the scum who passed the law and the scum who would not dare to refuse enforcing it. I'm thinking that unless you were out acting threateningly or something really bad, no legitimate 'authority' is going to pick you to 'check out' if you're packing an ordinary 'levergun'.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

If you are trying to get rid of the AR and get a levergun....follow sixguns advise and take the thing to the Allentown show and shop it around. YOU WILL END UP WITH THE LEVERGUN OF YOUR CHOICE AND A POCKETFUL OF CASH!!! IT HAS BEEN NUTS AROUND HERE. I was at a table at the Lebanon PA gun show, the guy had awesome classic levers and 3 hours into the show he said I was the THIRD PERSON TO EVEN STOP. Yet the AR tables were 3 and 4 people deep waiting to buy way overpriced stuff. I just saw an ad ON ANOTHER SITE FOR A CASE OF pmc 223 FOR gulp $1250. Sell it and buy two rossi's or take it to a table that has the gun you want and he'll trade ya cause if he doesn't want it one of the other dealers will buy it from him. Remember mags are in the 30- 40 dollar range at these places too so if you have any extras it may cover the hotel room and dinner. OH BROTHER :shock:
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

PA gunshow sounds like a good idea, especially since I have some colt mags and over 700 rounds of good 5.56 ammunition to get rid of as well. Do you just show up or there is a registration process to follow? Vendor license, table fee or anything?
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Treeman72 -- i'm an x-NYer...i have one simple word...MOVE...move away from the tyranny of ny politics and control...they do not deserve good citizens like you...i'm at the point that all good people from NY & CA should leave and let the political elite try to run their states on the backs of the entitlement crowd--that would have great entertainment value...

To get back on topic---that's a great levergun choice and cartridge combo... :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

30wcf wrote:Treeman72 -- i'm an x-NYer...i have one simple word...MOVE...move away from the tyranny of ny politics and control...they do not deserve good citizens like you...i'm at the point that all good people from NY & CA should leave and let the political elite try to run their states on the backs of the entitlement crowd--that would have great entertainment value...
With 'ya 100% on that one:D Move..........eventually the natural selection process would be invoked and that area would starve. Then maybe Al Sharpton could lead the rats to the ocean and do us all a favor.---------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It CAN be done - Shucks, I emigrated outta NYS in 1958, and never looked back.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

30wcf wrote:Treeman72 -- i'm an x-NYer...i have one simple word...MOVE...move away from the tyranny of ny politics and control...they do not deserve good citizens like you...i'm at the point that all good people from NY & CA should leave and let the political elite try to run their states on the backs of the entitlement crowd--that would have great entertainment value...

To get back on topic---that's a great levergun choice and cartridge combo... :)
+ 1 you betcha! vote with your pocket book, and vote with your feet! leave it to them and their emasculated, cowering, lick dog urbanites.
cable
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

Leaving NY won't happen anytime soon , sadly. What is needed to sell stuff at a PA gunshow? Peddler's permit, commissions? Any tricks to get it done? Any advice is welcomed as it helps me towards acquiring new lever actions.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

My guess is just an inspection at the door and a plastic tie to make positive it is unloaded. Then just walk down the first aisle and wait for the first offer. :lol:
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Most of thime you can stand just outside the door and the stuff will magically disappear and p[oof you will have a pocket wad of money. No license required to sell your own guns. if you want to sell a couple of items a cardboard sign with the items listed is a good idea and leave all but one item in the car. You are allowed to come and go as many times as you like as long as you have the hand stamp of the day. Good luck! How much is my commision?????
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

Leave all but one item in the car? Just curious as what that means. But thanks for the advice, sounds like PA is the place to go unless our lovely civil servant Feinstein has her way before I make it down there.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Wear the sign or put it on a wooden dowel and stuff in the barrel of the rifle with the things you want to sell printed on it. I. E. dont try to carry a rifle, a case of ammo, and several mags around, just have a sign of the items and carry one at a time. I think Allentown is next weekend.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

fordwannabe wrote:Most of thime you can stand just outside the door and the stuff will magically disappear and p[oof you will have a pocket wad of money. No license required to sell your own guns. if you want to sell a couple of items a cardboard sign with the items listed is a good idea and leave all but one item in the car. You are allowed to come and go as many times as you like as long as you have the hand stamp of the day. Good luck! How much is my commision?????
Not quite.

The OP's a NYS resident.

If/when he sells ANY firearm outside NYS, he MUST sell to/through an FFL, and not directly to a private party, or he will be in violition of Federal Law, and subject to a fine & jail time.

That is the basis of BATF entrapment @ gunshows, lo these many years - buying a firearm directly, in the guise of being a private party, then arrest when the deed is done. (I've personally witnessed the takedowns twice, over the years)

FWIW, almost evvery gunshow I've attended in the past 35 years has been held outside my state of residence, and I've sold many a firearm at them - and have had 3 avid "buyers" suddenly renege, when I accepted their offer & told them we're going to an FFL for the transfer.
IDK if they were BATF, or not - but better safe than sorry.

I've sold several guns during a single show visit - I sling two long guns, one from each shoulder, with F/S flags flying from the muzzle, going back to my vehicle to replace any sold ones with another (re-entry is free). I sell multiple handguns via putting them in large briefcase or toting the maker's gunboxes around the show on a wheeled luggage carries, with a sign attached.

Because I sell for reasonable prices (my bite of the apple, if you will) - which is always more than I paid anyway - more than half my sales have been to FFL's ( I ask almost every vendor if they "have any interest in........" ) who resell them for whatever more $$$.
I don't care - I'm satisfied that I made mine.

Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

I've only ever been to one gun show long ago at the NYS fairgrounds. That's the reason for all the questions. How do you know who has an ffl and who doesnt? The safe solution is to just trade in my M&P 15 at a gun shop, but the gun show sounds like the road to profit, and profit buys more levers .
jml
Levergunner

Post by jml »

The comment about 39p wadcutters? Got me a thinking, thats scary. Will my 1980+-(K0233,./) rossi 92 38/357 handle +p loads.
Storm W
Levergunner

Post by Storm W »

Treeman72 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:59 pm I am looking at obtaining a Rossi 92 .357, but just wanted some wise words first. Now that there is a bit of gun mania out there, are leveractions still obtainable? Only 30-30s in my immediate area of central NY. Would an 8 in the tube large loop carbine be subject to the stupidity of Cuomo? Is 357 and 38 special out of stock at bulk online stores?

My laptop is busted, and many online stores won't show back ordered status in mobile view. Appreciate any help that I can get.
I don't know about availability but I live in Syracuse NY and I bought a Rossi 92 in .44 magnum while I lived in Nyack about 3 years ago without problems. The are cool little guns.