1886 Winchester conversion?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mudpuppy
Levergunner

1886 Winchester conversion?

Post by Mudpuppy »

I have a old 33 Winchester and would like to know if it is possible to convert to a caliber that's still in production? I have 140 rounds left and the dies to form new cases from 45-70 brass but bullets are hard to find. I am looking for options to keep my 33 fed.

I appreciate comments. :wink:
gunner69
Levergunner 1.0

Re: 1886 Winchester conversion?

Post by gunner69 »

If you convert it you ruin the value of the rifle. Use the internet and search for bullets. I will bet you find some good bullets out their somewhere.
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Doesn't Hornady still make a 200 grain bullet for the 33 Winchester?
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Mudpuppy, welcome to THE BEST forum on the net. As for your .33 Winchester, I would suggest trying cast lead bullets. They are less expensive than jacketed, and way easier to find in such a rare caliber. Do a Google search for "33 Winchester Cast Lead" and you will find a couple sources for bullets, as well as some loading data from old Lyman manuals.

Good Luck!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If all else fails, since it IS a 'collectible' gun, you could likely sell it and use the money to buy a new 1886 in 45-70... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Hawk bullets makes jacketed bullets in three different weights for the 33 Win and Woodleigh makes a 200 gr bullet. I also have some cast 200 gr gas check Ranch Dog bullets I could send you if you want to try some cast bullets.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Start up casting your own bullets and never worry about feeding it again.
NRA Life Member
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

You have come to the right place for this kind of question. I bought a NOE mould for my 33wcf a few years ago and I had to size them fairly large for my gun, so it drops at 340 but I have sizer dies for 338 339 340 341. Send me your addy in a PM and so you too will have some 200 grain cast boolits for a 33wcf. I had much help in getting a load developed for it, from the members of this forum and would love to be able to pass it on.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Mudpuppy
Welcome to the forum.

Collectively there is more knowledge about leverguns on this web site than anywhere else I have found on the net.

I found this site in ~2007 when I was, like you are now, looking for information about my 1886 in 40-82 caliber. I didn't start out with any ammo, but I found places on the web where I was able to buy loaded ammo for my gun so I could see if it was worth investing in a reloading outfit to feed the old girl. I now reload and the group size went from 4+" at 50 yards to 1.75" at 100 yards. There are volumes to write about what I learned in that process, but it has been a BLAST finding out how to make that rifle shoot well!

Gad Custom Cartridges sells 33 WCF ammo for $45 per box if you don't want to reload. I copied this info from their website for your info. You have to call to get service, but it was through the start that I got from Bernold at GCC, that that my quest began to get my old 86 up and running after an 80 year span without one round being fired through it.

Gad Custom Cartridges
N2143 County Road C
Medford Wisconsin 54451

Phone: 715-748-0919 (ask for Bernold)
E-mail: info@gadcustomcartridges.com
NOTE: We don't check e-mail every day so if a quick response is required, please call.Buffalo Arms

Buffalo Arms has a lot of cool stuff you will need. They also sell ammo for $54 per box. Check out their website at Buffaloarm.com.

The responses you have received so far are a flavor of what you can expect from the guys on this site. They will advise you to leave your gun in its current configuration primarily because they don't make the old ones any more, and it is harder to find them in decent shape. Your gun is probably worth more as is than a new 86 in 45-70, so you could sell it, buy one of the new Winchesters, and have money left over.

If the gun was passed through your family or has special meaning to you, keep it, and learn where to find bullets or make them to reload it and shoot the heck out of it.

Enjoy the adventure!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome, and set a spell..............

To answer your question: You've partially answered it yourself - Your rifle's easily rebarreled to .45-70.

That will, as the others have posted, absolutely ruin it's originality, no matter how well done - but if your rifle's a "shooter" now, why not ?

I, for one, would like to see a few pic of that 'ole gal - howaboutit ? :mrgreen:

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Welcome and I too vote you leave it "as is". It's just too easy to load for it. You need to slug the bore so you will know what size of sizer to buy. I would buy a mold for a gas check style bullet that you can also shoot without gas checks. See if you can find an old single stage press. (I have 2 Herters); Flea market, garage sale, ebay, craigslist, gun show etc. I kinda like the Lee 3 die set. They are cheap and work fine, besides they come with the correct shell holder. The lee sizing die works pretty good too but you have to "pan lube" your bullets before using it but this gets you out of buying a luber/sizer.
We really would like to see pictures.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

If you didn't know already, Buffalo Arms is selling the 200 grain flatpoint .338 bullets.

I was thinking of a rebarrel at one point too. Anyone know how much flatter the 33wcf shoots over 150yds compared to the 45-70?
Mudpuppy
Levergunner

Post by Mudpuppy »

Thank you all for the friendly advice. I did find that Hornady makes a .338 200 gr FTX bullet that has a Patented Flex Tip design and is safe in all tubular magazines. They run about $45/100 count. After taking in all of your kind words of wisdom, I will either sell my Winchester and purchase another or try to corner the market on all unused dust collecting .33 bullets and reload until I run out of powder. :D Here is a picture of my 86 which was built in 96. Anyone have any idea of what I might be able to get for it along with #100 rounds of ammo, rcbs dies and rcbs case forming dies and a Lyman reloading book for .33 WCF? The 1886 has a round 24" barrel with a Marble W4 folding rear sight. The Magazine tube runs the full length of the barrel. The Winchester was built in 1896. Nice clean bore, great mechanical condition. Shoots great too! Thank you.

[img]/Users/Mudpuppy/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Masters/2013/04/05/20130405-161404/100_1694.JPG/img]

sorry, not sure how to post a picture
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

You have to host the picture on another photo site first and refer to the url withing the img tags.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Welcome to a GREAT forum! As an option, should you decide to keep it, there are commercial casters, such as Beartooth, who offer the addition of a gas check along with their hardcast bullets, should you want to break the sound barrier,X2 with your loads. I wish I could afford to do business with you, myself, but at this point, I think I've got all the toys I'm gonna have, unless I win the lottery, in which case 1st on my list would be a 1st Gen Colt SAA. Good Shooting! jd45
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

TedH wrote:Start up casting your own bullets and never worry about feeding it again.

Yep.
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Go by whatever Sixgun says: he is the romantic practicalist here. :D
Last edited by Old Savage on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Cast and shoot.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

If you decide to take up casting for it, look at Accurate Molds. I just received a copy of the old Lyman GC for my 33. Buffalo arms can supply a .340 H&I sizer die and Hornady once again makes gas checks for the 338.
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

I'm thinking an 1896 serial # is a few years too early for the rifle to be original.. quite a few model 1886 were rebarreled (some by the factory) to 33 wcf when the original barrel was messed up with corrosive primers.. One of mine was like that ,marked as having gone back to the factory.. Winchester also sold the barrels for installing by outside gunsmith (in that case no factory rework marked,) Likely doesn't matter a whit for shooter grade.. Nate
Mudpuppy
Levergunner

Post by Mudpuppy »

to the best of my knowledge the gun was never modified. It belonged to my Great Grandfather who was a Deer Slayer for the US Army in California. I looked up the serial numbers and compared it to the Winchester Serial Production log book and it said it was produced in 1896. That's all I know and I don't take any wooded nickels. lol. never know how things happen. A winchester collector told me that it was common that when a gun was ordered that parts were taken from different parts bins from different years and assembled. I guess the only way is to send the money to the Cody Museum and have them check it's lineage.
94deluxe
Levergunner

Post by 94deluxe »

The flex tips wouldn't cycle in my .33........have a box if anybody wants them.........
Hunting with and shooting 85's, 86's, 92's, 94's in Texas!