The 'oil can' suppressor and what looks like a non-NFA clone

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

The 'oil can' suppressor and what looks like a non-NFA clone

Post by AJMD429 »

I really think the NFA is basically useless and counterproductive, but look what these guys are selling and compare it to the 'oil filter' suppressor....

http://cadizgunworks.com/store/index.ph ... duct_id=67

Sadly, I'll bet that will be their un-doing; the ATF will poop their drawers about those, and no doubt track down anyone who purchases one (and probably kill them).

Still from a perfectly legitimate and legal standpoint, it would be perfect for the home-experimenter who wanted to build a suppressor on a 'form one' or whatever, but wanted not to be locked in to their specific metal pieces in case they screwed up during design or assembly. With the NFA-registered version, they would have a perfectly LEGAL 'suppressor' that they could change tube or baffle in, and so on.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: The 'oil can' suppressor and what looks like a non-NFA c

Post by Blaine »

:? Solvent Trap Adapter? Is that the right link, or, can you build a suppresser onto that adapter?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Read between the lines, err, screw threads.

Barrel of what ever you have that is appropriately threaded goes into the middle of the adapter. Oil filter of your choice screws in to the outside threads that you see.

Instant, albeit bulky suppressor.

I've never tried the oil filters but I can personally vouch for a 2 liter soda bottle filled with the Styrofoam peanuts working well. First, second or third round and the bottom glue-on plastic base blows off, if the bottle has one. Thereafter you start getting a snow storm effect with each additional round. Noise gets progressively louder as you open up the bottom more. But for the first several rounds it works well.

I'll guarantee the alcohol firearms and chips guys will do their best to shut these guys down, seized their mailing lists and a lot of people will get personal visits.

Hmmmmmm. I know of a truck company and those nice long filters that are thrown out daily. They're used, so they're already 'wet'. It's a tempting thought.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

the real question is: what is the thread spec for the oil filter attachment ??

Cheers,

Carl
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Duh, on me :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

according to one website: 13/16-16 ..... the guy's advice was to simply buy a 13/16-16 bolt, chuck into a lathe, drill & tap a thru-hole for 1/2-28 or whatever barrel thread one has, then cut to desired length.

Which is to say: figure out what filter you'll use, then get a bolt of that thread. Apparently it is not a universal-mandated design thread size. To help with that:
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/filterlookup.aspx

Cheers,

Carl
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Since I'm on a roll for dummy of the day :lol: ...do you just shoot thru the thin metal of the filter?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Yes, first shot is a shoot-thru. There is another Leverguns thread which talks about this adaptor ...... that's where I first heard of this.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=45242

Here is the Youtube about the "goodie" .....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=haiqFcIXTqs

I just searched on Ebay for "solvent trap adaptor" ..... several can be found.

Cheers,

Carl
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

AJMD429 wrote:I really think the NFA is basically useless and counterproductive, but look what these guys are selling and compare it to the 'oil filter' suppressor....

http://cadizgunworks.com/store/index.ph ... duct_id=67

Sadly, I'll bet that will be their un-doing; the ATF will poop their drawers about those, and no doubt track down anyone who purchases one (and probably kill them).

Still from a perfectly legitimate and legal standpoint, it would be perfect for the home-experimenter who wanted to build a suppressor on a 'form one' or whatever, but wanted not to be locked in to their specific metal pieces in case they screwed up during design or assembly. With the NFA-registered version, they would have a perfectly LEGAL 'suppressor' that they could change tube or baffle in, and so on.
I have to agree that the ATF will go after this manufacturer and there customers who buy this!
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

I could be wrong but it appears that the hex flange on the adapter from Cadiz Gun Works doesn't appear to have a large enough diameter to seal against the typical oil filter gasket while the Econocan version that requires a license has a large diameter flange capable of sealing against the gasket of the filter. If not sealed against the gasket, the oil filter's oil passage holes would direct the gasses back at the shooter which is why machining female threads into a bolt of proper size and pitch to fit an oil filter wouldn't work. Or am I all wet?

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

As soon as folks figure out that a big washer made from 3/8" plate will make the "Solvent Trap Adapter" into a suppressor, the ATF will confiscate all of them and send some people to jail.

Jack
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It's too bad, because the 'original' one (i.e. the legal 'tax-stamped' one) would have been a good thing for someone doing their own LEGAL build. But their production of the 'almost' version will likely get their whole company in deep legal doo-doo. Bad move. Hopefully at least the folks who got legal ones and went through the hoops will be left alone.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: The 'oil can' suppressor and what looks like a non-NFA clone

Post by AJMD429 »

-

Interesting review from the owner - https://youtu.be/GdmmVN8_1zw

And the website - https://jkarmament.com

I suppose for someone wanting to do a Form-1 Suppressor Build, it might save a lot of machining...!

I wonder if the turnaround time for the ATF Stamp is any faster than for a purchased suppressor...?

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Doc, my brother and a co worker of mine are both doing form one cans. Both got their approvals in less than 30 days for form one builds:
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just use it for cleaning your barrel. If that is all it has been used for, then they must prove otherwise.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Why go through all of that trouble....a guy on the "Good, Bad,and the Ugly just used a pillow....sounded good to me, but not too good for the recipient.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

There was a finished version of the adapter created a few years ago and the BATF immediately jumped on it and made it fall under the NFA
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

More on the Form-1 build process - https://youtu.be/MXG5WY08hdU

Meanwhile - I'm upgrading my Mystic to an Infiniti.... 8)

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have had to buy two additional end caps for my hybrid lately for my hybrid. It seems as though different barrel makers keep changing the thread pitch for muzzle Threads. I am up to 5 at this point but it fits everything from a 223 to a 458 Socom and 45-70 now.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.