Reloading for my 1887

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Reloading for my 1887

Post by jjames »

As reported I am pretty happy with my 1887 10ga. I would like to start reloading some 2 7/8" shells as it hurts paying $1.10 each time I pull the trigger. I have all the necessary hardware, now I just need a recipe. Nobody is publishing data comensurate with the old girl. While Black powder would be pretty straightforward I really want to go smokeless as when I am hunting I find follow-up shots, doubles, and marking fallen birds difficult due to the smoke. RST makes smokeless ammo which produce acceptable pressure levels so I know it is possible. They state their loads are generating 6500 PSI moving 1 1/4 oz of shot at 1100 FPS. I deconstructed one of their shells hoping to see some color in the powder but alas it is just grayish black flakes. The powder charged weighed in at 29gr on my scale. Any thoughts on what powder they might be using?