Coolest Airplane you ever flew or flew in

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Coolest Airplane you ever flew or flew in

Post by jeepnik »

The "Coolest Planes" threads got me to thinking. What cool airplanes have you either flown or rode in?

Now I have had rides (darned expensive ones) in both a B-17 and B-24, likely the same ones other's here have paid to ride in. And, while in the USAF, I got to ride in things like the Caribou, Herc, Starlifter and Galaxy. Even a quick jaunt in a Phantom, it helps to have dated a General's daughter when he was still a Colonel and I was in high school with her (and no, I don't think he ever knew everthing, or I'd have had a free ejection seat ride :twisted: ). But the two standouts weren't even US aircraft. Well, one was from the US, but the other was from Germany, Hitler's Germany.

While in Spain, the Spanish Air Force had a couple of Catalinas, and at least one Ju-52 (Iron Annie). The pilots were a likeable bunch, and a polite request, and a good bottle of American booze could get you a ride. Landing on water in a Catalina isn't so bad. But taking off seemed like we would run out of lake surface before we got airborne.

But the coolest by far, and loudest was the Ju-52. This one had been part of Hitler's Condor Legion and was left behind to bolster Franco's air force after the revolution. Somewhere, I've got photos of them. But where is a good one. I figure someday I'll open an old box and find them.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Coolest Airplane you ever flew or flew in

Post by jnyork »

Got to "ride" in this one SEVERAL times :wink:

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

JU87.....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
rgates
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rgates »

1928 Ford Tri-Motor. Half-hour over St. Petersburg, Florida for $20 in 1988.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Hello Mr. Gates. I think you might have us all beat. Coolest plane I ever rode in was a Grumman Goose (at least I think that's what it was) that Chalks air service used to run from Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini in the Bahamas to go diving. Landing on the water was ... interesting. :) - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Dad had a Tri pacer, then a Cherokee, then a Comanche. But when I was in CAP we has a Korean war surplus L5 that I always liked. Low and slow! :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

DC-3 from St. Thomas to San Juan.
Coolest ride I ever had.

Along with the classice sounds we flew very low and I had a great seat!
I'll never foget that one.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Freedom Bird.. Jan 13 1969...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Freedom Bird.. Jan 13 1969...
That's got to be the tops.

Mine:

PT-17 Stearman with Navy Markings when I was about 7, riding front seat.
Pete/Paul ultra light. Darned thing crashed a week later and killed the guys wife.
A BT-13 always came into Chandler Airport but my brother always got to the pilot first and got the ride. There were also tons of T-6's but never managed a ride.
Varga(plant was also right across the airport in Chandler, AZ).
Cessna Skymaster was always pretty cool
Sounds lame but there is something exciting about the turbo charged Cessna 210. It's simple yet very sleek and classy looking. Sounds beefy and looks and feels fast. Always felt like you were in a Mustang or something compared to the standard fare of Pipers and Cessna's.
Military I got a few rides(some one way :shock: ) in C-130's and C-141's. Always loved the C-130's, the sound and the shape.
Last edited by C. Cash on Thu May 31, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The Whale

Oly
Last edited by olyinaz on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

My Dad bought me a ride in a Tiger Moth (fabric skin bi-plane trainer) when I was 13. My birthday, I think.

A few years before that , I got to sit in the cockpit of a Japanese Ohka (Cherry Blossom, or Baka Bomb)which was propped up on blocks at the "Air Museum" at Mundeline, Ill. Of course, a flight in that would have been a one way ticket. I just walked up on the wing, slid the canopy back, and hopped in. My Dad and I loved that place. Every one else hated it, just an airplane junkyard to them.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Terry Murbach wrote:JU87.....
Who flew it? Wilbur or Orville? :P

For myself, I'd have to say several glider rides I did on Oahu @ Kaena Point. Just a few yards off the ridges, and you could see sheep or goats, pigs. A great ride the the thermal coming off the cliff would keep you up for an hour or more.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

You guys got me beat. Rode in a B-17G and a Super Constellation(always loved the Connie) were about the best I can do. Otherwise, just plain old American yankee AA1A, Cessna 150,172,182,210(rode) and 337(fly), and a Cherokee Six thrown in once. Oops, almost forgot the Champ (rode)from the aero club at Norton
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Only one I have flown is a technam super eagle. Nothing special but is vey kewl to ke. Should have my license by this fall. I enjoyed most my tome in chinook helos.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Back in '84 or '85, wife, son & I got a fun ride around the Long Beach/Carson area in the above. Son was able to ride up front with the pilot, and actually flew it for a few minutes. Didn't get a t-shirt... but did get a nice "captain's" ball cap!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

king air...25 years ago
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

When I was in the U.S. Navy and an Aircrewman on WV-2 Super Connie, (An RC121 for your Air Force Dudes). I logged close to 1000 Hr's in 18 Months. We could stay in the Air close to 24 hr's with a full fuel load of 8700 gal's of 115/145 avgas.

I got to fly the big-bird a few times in the Right Seat, quite a thrill.

Also flew on Lockheed P2V-5,-6 & -7 Submarine Patrol Bombers. And Lockheed P3V's

An interesting website is our Squadron site; Just google " VW-1". Our Squadron Home was
NAS Agana, Guam
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Hey Lefty,
I was in VW-4 in JAX. the hurricane hunters from '66 - '68..
Same A/C ......... Also got in about 1K hours as a radio op and NAV maintenance.....

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Dang good ride, no doubt about it.
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

A plane that looked much like this took me on the best fishing trip of my life. We flew 3 hrs.
north of Sault St. Marie and were left for 7 days. Pops landed a 27 lb. Northern Pike.

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

A guy I worked for summers during college took me up in one of these. Same paint scheme.

PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I got to "Ride" brakes on this B-29 during a maintenance run-up a few years back.

A few years later, I rode this over Lake Tahoe....a beautiful view was had!!!

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Never got to ride in the C130 which was Dad's Favorite but the C119 was interesting.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Let's see here. Been up in a Goodyear blimp back in about 1970 or so. Couple of glider rides. A SH-3 helicopter off the USS Constellation. A John Deere hot air balloon in Roswell, NM. C-141 Starlifter from Hickam AFB, HI, to NAS Cubi Point, Philippines. Assorted airliners, including the Convair 600, DC-8, DC-9, DC-10, B-707, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777. DeHavilland Twin Otter, DeHavilland Bluebird (?), a very small regional airliner with 4 small engines! Used to do engine runs and taxi 747s in San Fran. Wheee! I have flown Piper Cherokee 140s and 180s, Cessna 150, 152, 172, 172RG, 182. A Bellanca Citabria.
The coolest one? The C-150 I took my check ride for my private license in, at Clark AFB, Philippines. 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think this is the coolest one I was in - the B29 Sentimental Journey - http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en ... ,s:0,i:123

Coolest on I ever "flew" was a Citabria owned by one of the F16 test pilots at Edwards AFB. He let me "fly" it and try some stunts. We landed on the dry lake where the space shuttle used to land and flew to California City for lunch - great day.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Only as a passenger,nothing as cool as a bi-plane, but:
Coolest flight: as a kid, tie between first flight in 1962, United DC-8 from Baltimore (then Friendship) to San Francisco, and 1964 Pan Am 707 from Tokyo to Honolulu. As the icing on the cake, the pilot banked the plane just so we could see Diamond Head in the early morning as they played Hawaiian music...I think the winner goes to that Pan Am flight partly 'cause I think even then at tender age of 10 as a plane nut and son of a pilot, I knew how iconic it was in modern passenger flight, ushering in the jet age only a few years earlier. Between it and the DC-8, owning the skies of the 60s. I can still hear the engines start up on the tarmac and a hushed hum at 35k feet, the smell of the crisp, clean Pan Am cabin--linens and real meals!--and aroma of the leis upon arrival beautiful girls used to give out to each passenger for free coming off the plane. Travel really was different back then!...and just to show you further how times have changed, the Pan Am pilot let my father--bored to tears as a passenger--ride the right-hand seat for a ways!

Most interesting flight: also 1962, after a 36 hour flight in rearward-facing seats with a/c on the fritz in a C-118 (DC-6) from Travis AFB (SF) to Tokyo (Tachikawa AB), C-130 on our next leg to our new home, Itazuke on Kyushu, Japan, wax in our ears, sitting sideways in paratroop jump seats, in torrential rains landing at night in two feet of water (no exaggeration). No, maybe that was the coolest! All of it great stuff for an 8-10 year old!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Oddly enough, i've been 'in' a ton of aircraft. Flew in only a few.

Lot of passenger jets and light twins.

I was 14, just finished freshman year of high school and was contemplating becoming an Apache pilot in the far future. Glasses and crappy math killed that idea, but my freshman English teacher's husband was an instructor pilot with over 15,000 hours in everything up to 747's. He was also a commander in the USNR, flew 500 hours of Search and Rescue in Vietnam in HH-3's (Jolly Green Giants) and picked up a few extra holes. So he was amenable to things most weren't.

I went from driving go-carts to flying a Hughes 300 2-seat helo. He had me do everything except radio work (I was 14, and sounded like it). Preflight, all of it. Only time he touched the stick except to correct something was to hover us out from parking, which took some experience. Dropped it on the runway and it was all mine. Flew for about an hour or so (without a door, which made left turns REAL interesting standing it on one side). Even did a power autorotation, and I managed to neither scream or wet myself since we went from flying along at 1,000 feet or so to a controlled straight down power-off dive right to the deck (we pulled out at around 30 feet IIRC).

As to stuff i've been 'in' but not flown?

B-17s (4), B-25, B-24 (3) and Franco's personal He-111, the only one left flying.

RC-135 reconaissance planes (over a dozen), KC-135 tankers, C-17's, C-5's, KC-10s, C-130s, F-16's, British FGR Tornados, half a dozen Apaches and Blackhawks and Hueys, Navy E-8 command and control planes, P-3s, bunch of other stuff. Sometimes, pulling security and being friendly with aircrew is a good thing. :)
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I think this is the coolest one I was in - the B29 Sentimental Journey
I believe she was a B17 when she came to my home town back in the 70's, but maybe she grew a little since then. :wink:

One of my classmates, a high school junior at the time, got to man the controls from the right seat.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Spring fishing trip 2003 :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

:lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

launched off a carrier facing the rear in a C-2 - no matter how you try, you can't keep your arms down.

Otter in an AK fly-out
Last edited by bdhold on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

A c-124 in "Operation Cool Mule" As an auxiliary crew member flying supplies to remote locations in Alaska during the 60's
out of Elemondorf AFB at Anchorage, Alaska. Many locations were quite scenic and far flung from civilization.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

bgmkithaca wrote:A c-124 in "Operation Cool Mule" As an auxiliary crew member flying supplies to remote locations in Alaska during the 60's
out of Elemondorf AFB at Anchorage, Alaska. Many locations were quite scenic and far flung from civilization.
We frequently had 124s flying in and out of our base, Itazuke, in Japan. C97 was another whopper of those times. Don't recall but a few 97s there, though my father flew LeMay in one from Florida to Omaha. Til reminded recently, I'd forgotten its B-29 roots.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Coolest I flew was a Schweizer 2-32 with an instructor long long ago.

Coolest ride is hard to filter down. I loved riding in the Grumman Goose. Once I had my whole family in one from Juneau to Pelican during a huge winter northerly. The pilot climbed high higher higher to get above the turbulence created by the mountains and we had a peaceful flight with a spectacular scene of the entire region coated in ice at the shoreline, all the way out past Cape Spencer. Most Goose flights were much lower, flying thru canyons well below mountain tops to conserve fuel. A boat that can fly!

I chartered a turbo-beaver once to fly from Elfin Cove to Juneau. The hotshot departed from the head of the cove, was airborn by the time he flew through the gut, and gave us the fastest ride to Juneau we ever had. Later that year or the next hotshot disappeared in Lynn Canal trying to get a planeload of pax from Tenakee to Juneau. He tried to beat the dark and the blizzard. They found one pontoon.

The takeoff run was started at the exteme top in this image, and the plane flew through the first constriction center-right at the level of the boardwalk. The direction of flight is from top center left to center right, over water through both guts.

samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Got a ride in the A-26. It was drafty and fast down low.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Nothing really historical or exciting since mostly modern jetliners but I always prefer a prop plane between the islands. Here's a few:

Grumman T-Cat

Cessna 208B Caravan (Pacific Wings)

DeHavilland DHC-6-300 Twin Otter (Aloha Island Air)

DeHavilland DHC-7 Dash 7 (Hawaiian Air)

DeHavilland DHC-8 Dash 8 (Island Air)

Fokker F-27-500 (Mahalo Airlines)

ATR-42-320 (Mahalo Airlines)

NAMC YS-11-120 (Mid Pacific Air)

Canadair CL-44 (Flying Tiger Line)
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

God bless ya brother.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

When I first started to work at AA the Lead mechanic took me for a ride in his Aeronca Chief. Two things stick in my mind about that flight (fresh out of A&P school). We stopped at a gas station to get a gallon of "Gulftane" gasoline cause the tank was empty and we needed to fly to the airport for gas. The other was the fuel gauge. A metal rod in a cork coming out the top of the tank with a 90 deg. bend at the top to show empty! Neat little airplane!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

As a lockheed guard for 35 years I was around everything they built but didnt get to fly in any of them except the old connies and L-10-11. I love anything that flys. I am one of those nurds that will look out the side window for a 4 flight, even at night! I am checked out in a luscombe (Soloed in that) cessna 150, 152, 170, 172, cherokee, comanchee, grunman cheeta, yankee american, have owned a metalised tri-pacer and a GCBC citaberia. 52 years ago as a forrest fire fighter I got rides in Bell G-2 and G-3 and french elloette choppers, and once in a glider. I love them all. I am not current, trying to get my INR right to take the physical. I have walked away from a couple of mishaps and probley scared myself or someone else every secound flight it seems! Here is a old picture of my citaberia. I get more scarred getting on the roof to change the cooler pads! Also a picture of my citaberia being rebuilt the last time I seen it a few months ago. A long, long sad story. Also the yellow and white picture is what it looked like in between the other two. (My friends daughter ground looped it. Its a long term project. Image Image

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Griff wrote:Image

Back in '84 or '85, wife, son & I got a fun ride around the Long Beach/Carson area in the above. Son was able to ride up front with the pilot, and actually flew it for a few minutes. Didn't get a t-shirt... but did get a nice "captain's" ball cap!
Who did you have to kill to get that ride? I've tried for years, even pulling out the "my uncle flew these on coastal patrol during WWII" didn't help.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Several have mentioned their Freedom Birds. Mine was a C-141 Starlifter, what was your's?
Last edited by jeepnik on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

jeepnik wrote: Who did you have to kill to get that ride?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My flight history is rather dull. First was an AA 727 in the late-70s/early 80s from DFW to MEM. I was under the age of 10 and scared poopless for some reason. I might have run them low on barf bags as well... :lol:

I got about 37 hours in Cessna 150s/152s from 90-92 when I was working on getting my license (which never happened). Took a puddle jumper from Ft Sill to DFW then an MD80 series from DFW to either ATL or Augusta (I don't remember if we stopped in ATL or went straight to Augusta). Another MD to DFW for leave and a DC10 back to ATL. A 747 to NTC and back (that had what looked for all the world like a 6' piece of duct tape on the outside over the cabin door :shock: ). One Blackhawk ride in Air Assault School (one and a half if you count the trip up to repel out of the bird) and 2 CH47 rides.

Oh, and another MD series to Colorado Springs and back a few years ago.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

awp101 wrote:
jeepnik wrote: Who did you have to kill to get that ride?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My flight history is rather dull. First was an AA 727 in the late-70s/early 80s from DFW to MEM. I was under the age of 10 and scared poopless for some reason. I might have run them low on barf bags as well... :lol:

I got about 37 hours in Cessna 150s/152s from 90-92 when I was working on getting my license (which never happened). Took a puddle jumper from Ft Sill to DFW then an MD80 series from DFW to either ATL or Augusta (I don't remember if we stopped in ATL or went straight to Augusta). Another MD to DFW for leave and a DC10 back to ATL. A 747 to NTC and back (that had what looked for all the world like a 6' piece of duct tape on the outside over the cabin door :shock: ). One Blackhawk ride in Air Assault School (one and a half if you count the trip up to repel out of the bird) and 2 CH47 rides.

Oh, and another MD series to Colorado Springs and back a few years ago.
I'm an old airedale. Good rides come with the bus drivers uniform. I actually went both directions of that bird. Buy I paid for it by flying to europe in a C-130 on a jump seat.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have flown Piper Cherokee 140s, 180s, Sixes, Cessna 150, 152 aerobat, 172, 172RG, 182, 185, 210, luscombes, tri-pacer, Cubs, Twin Apaches, Twin Comanche, Stinson Voyager -D to Oshkosh in 73 for 3 days of the airshow, C130 , Bell Long Ranger, Bell Ranger, OH-6A.

Things I have jumped out of C-47, Caribou, C-130, C141, C-17, UH-1, UH-60, CH-46, CH-47, CH-53.

Freedom Birds: A Lot of trips to and back from places in 130s
From Iraq 2003: C-130
From Africa in 2003: C-5
From Afghanistan 2008: C17

Most fun ride: AH-1 Cobra in 1974 in the weapons seat with a pilot trying to make the Combat Engineer sick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jeepnik wrote:
Griff wrote:Image
Who did you have to kill to get that ride? I've tried for years, even pulling out the "my uncle flew these on coastal patrol during WWII" didn't help.
Was in on the decision process for the county tire contract... multi-million $ deal. They actually invited my boss... but she couldn't get that day free, and I was... luck.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Paladin wrote:.Things I have jumped out of C-47, Caribou, C-130, C141, C-17, UH-1, UH-60, CH-46, CH-47, CH-53.
You realize those were perfectly good airplanes?! :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Pitchy wrote:Image
:lol:
my favorite all-time plane and pilot... :)
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

I rode in a Piper PA-17 Vagabond and a Cessna 170-B back in the late 60s. Took instruction in a J-3 Cub. Owned an Aeronca Chief and a Piper Super Cub Trainer in the early 70s. The SC Trainer had a 100 hp engine and no wing flaps. It was designated a PA-18, though, like the 150hp models. I got rides in an old 50s model Piper Apache twin and an old Bellanca. Back in the 50s there were 1000 acres of cotton within a 10 minute bike ride of my house. I loved to watch the old Stearman and Cub dusters. The pilots would wave at me, and even on occasion throttle back (at 50 feet altitude) and holler at me.
Georgia On My Mind
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

jeepnik wrote:Several have mentioned their Freedom Birds. Mine was a C-141 Starlifter, what was your's?

Made maybe 6 or 7 trips over the years, all commercial, both out of Cam Rahn and TSN. Made one out of Udorn in a C-130A, most noisy aircraft I ever was in, Udorn to Clark Xmas eve, 1964.

There are those on this board who do not know what a "Freedom Bird" is. Probably a good thing.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

gak wrote:
Paladin wrote:.Things I have jumped out of C-47, Caribou, C-130, C141, C-17, UH-1, UH-60, CH-46, CH-47, CH-53.
You realize those were perfectly good airplanes?! :)
I was a A&P when I was 17 after working with Dad (Aerospace Engineer and III also How I got to fly so many planes) most of them did not qualify for that statement .
Plus they paid extra if the plane did not have to land to let us out.
It is not the critic who counts