Leverevolution and the 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Leverevolution and the 30-30

Post by Bigahh »

Happy Easter everyone ! Im up at the cabin doing what else....Shooting and Raking. Tried the new Leverevolution Powder yesterday in my 30-30 Marlin. A few years back Hobie got me started on a great load using IMR 3031, and the 170 gr. Hornady bullet. I chronnied that load at 1990 FPS yesterday, and it shoots 1 1/2" out of my Gun. The new "LVR" powder with a Max load of 36 grains gives me the same accuracy, but 2265 FPS ! I may stick with that powder. Giving it a go in the 35 today .
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Leverevolution and the 30-30

Post by ving-thorr »

nice, happy shooting! my marlin sure likes the FTX bullets with H4895, haven't tried the new powder yet though.

Be careful at the cabin, gotta be on the lookout for hodags up there, doncha know! :shock:
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I've found the LVR powder max loads are the most accurate in the 338MX and 307 Win. It doesn't have to be a compressed load , but a full load up to the base of the bullet which the max loads seem to do. It shoots good out of the 25-35 but I've only tried one load and haven't played with it enough to say about the most accurate. What I do know is that I've never hunted with the 307 because I never could get an accurate load. That changed with the LVR powder, it shoots great now.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I have had good results with the LVR powder also.I loaded them at 35gr and get 2250fps
out of my 336 with the same bullet!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Seems like accuracy came easier for you fellows than it did for me. I use the 170 grain Remington, and tried a series of loads. All were giving me large velocity variations until I got to 36.5 grains of the LVR and used the Lee factory crimp on it (one of the few loads that ever showed me a marked improvement with the F.C. die). At that point I got uniformity, accuracy, and was just over 2400 fps (24" bbl). Anything less than a compressed load has been giving me erratic velocities with the LVR, but once I hit the sweet spot it sure looks good.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

earlmck wrote:Seems like accuracy came easier for you fellows than it did for me. I use the 170 grain Remington, and tried a series of loads. All were giving me large velocity variations until I got to 36.5 grains of the LVR and used the Lee factory crimp on it (one of the few loads that ever showed me a marked improvement with the F.C. die). At that point I got uniformity, accuracy, and was just over 2400 fps (24" bbl). Anything less than a compressed load has been giving me erratic velocities with the LVR, but once I hit the sweet spot it sure looks good.
I'm curious, did you try a selection of primers?

Thanks,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

olyinaz wrote:I'm curious, did you try a selection of primers?
No I didn't, Oly. I did all my trial loads with the CCI 200 and then when I'd decided on the 36.5 grains I tried the Federal 210 with virtually identical results for accuracy and about 15 fps more velocity (2420 for the CCI vs. 2435 for the Fed). Once I'd given the round a "firm factory crimp" (as per my notes) the velocity went to 2430 with the CCI and +/- 7 fps spread. This load shoots quite well for me (sub 2", which is the best I've done with this 170 R.N. bullet).
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have not used this LVR powder, is there load data for it or are you guys just experimenting?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kaferhaus
Levergunner

Post by kaferhaus »

I learned a long time ago that some guns just don't like some bullets.... I'd have changed to a different bullet and done a ladder test... that way you're only out 10rds and you know if it's going to be worth following up on.

I never test just one bullet unless it's the only bullet that fits a particular need. OR I already have a bazillion of them and need to use them up.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

J Miller wrote:I have not used this LVR powder, is there load data for it or are you guys just experimenting?
Joe, there is a little dab of data for the powder on the Hodgdon web site. A couple loads for the 30wcf, one for 35 Rem, one for 308 ME, and one for 25/35. I haven't looked lately, so there could be more data now, but it is still pretty skimpy. Of course, Hodgdon's web site itself is kinda' on the skimpy side for load data for anything but the more popular cartridges.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry