22 rifle for hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

22 rifle for hunting

Post by rjohns94 »

If you were to choose a 22lr for hunting, which would you choose? TDS? 9422? single shot bolt? Mag fed bolt? Lever? Semi? Pump? I can't use a semi but if it's ur favorite let me know.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 22 rifle for hunting

Post by AJMD429 »

My Ruger 96; short lever throw, 10 round magazine, plenty accurate, easier to clean if rain/mud vs. a tubular-magazine gun. Scoped it is very easy to shoot accurately...

...but currently it wears an integrally-suppressed barrel and a Tru-Glo red-dot, for use as a 'newbie' gun...

The .22 Mag or .17 HMR versions might make more sense for larger critters, though.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I have (and shoot) several 22LR rifles but my absolute squirrel hunting tack driver is my CZ452 American. These rifles are absolutely incredible. I don't know what they are going for now but mine was OTD for under $350. One of my best ever buys!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A lever or an auto.....In my case, the 9422M, or the Browning .22 Auto......My Mod 72 Win has never missed a squill, and I've never shot it on paper, so squill hunting, if I ever go again, will be that one.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

9422, the Browning (lever or auto) and the marlin 39A, older model if you ask me is better than newer models.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Two other rifles that I have that are above average (non-semi auto) are both older Winchesters. I have a 3 digit ser# 39X (1932, 1st year manuf) Model 62 pump that is an amazing shooter, and a Model 67 single shot that has also impressed some with its accuracy.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Man there are a lot of good ones Mike :wink:

Just because of lately shooting daughters boy friends Henry Lever Action Octagon Frontier Model and found it to be extremely accurate open sighted and exceptional in quality and handling----------------guess I would now choose that guy! :oops:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Much as I like my 9422M, for just plain old .22 rifle hunting I would have to say my Winchester 22 pump which I bought when a teenager. Even my grandson can shoot it well.

Yes, the stock has been refinished and it has been reblued - looks and shoots at least as good as when new back in the 50s.Like many rifles of that time, it has a takedown thumb screw on the left side of the action which makes it easy to clean when needed.
Last edited by crs on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

damienph wrote:I have (and shoot) several 22LR rifles but my absolute squirrel hunting tack driver is my CZ452 American. These rifles are absolutely incredible. I don't know what they are going for now but mine was OTD for under $350. One of my best ever buys!
The CZ bolt 22's really are amazing. That being said I use the Marlin 39A with a Foolproof rear sight. It is a fine instrument of small game hunting and I also employed it in the 2009 Squirrels in the Attic Massacre.

A CZ with a scope on it is a hard to beat rig. If they ever quit importing the 452 series they will double in price overnight.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I am hopeing this Rossi M-62 I picked up last week will fit the bill.
Other than that it would be my 10-22.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

madman4570 wrote:Man there are a lot of good ones Mike :wink:
Thats the Beauty of a .22 LR Most are very good, and Fun to shoot also.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Dave wrote: I use the Marlin 39A with a Foolproof rear sight. It is a fine instrument of small game hunting and I also employed it in the 2009 Squirrels in the Attic Massacre.
Hmm.... That sounds fun; got any pics?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Remington 580 series converted to .22 Mag.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

damienph wrote:
Dave wrote: I use the Marlin 39A with a Foolproof rear sight. It is a fine instrument of small game hunting and I also employed it in the 2009 Squirrels in the Attic Massacre.
+1 I may have to have a sequel to that (2012 Attic Squirrel Massacre) right here!

Mike, it is pretty hard to go wrong with any .22. I love them all: bolt-action, lever-action, pump-action, semi-automatic. One of my early, early goals in collecting was to have a fitting representative "sample" of every long-gun and hand-gun action for the .22 Long Rifle. What's not to love about America's favorite cartridge? :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I guess that's 3 votes for CZ. I just bought a full stock .22 mag a few months ago. The whole CZ line up is great, I bought a trainer for my brother in law before that both shoot gnat sized groups.
I think I need a .22 lr myself.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

damienph wrote:
Funny you should ask. Here I am victorious over two bushytailed demons who had kept me awake night after night. Once spotted 45 seconds of fast action in fading light and freezing rain ended it once and for all. The Marlin 39A combined with CB caps proved to be a winner. The kids were starting to worry about my mental health before it was over. I don't do sleep deprivation well. :lol:

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Older Marlin 39a without the rebounding hammer and safety garbage.

Real man's rifle. :wink:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My Remington 550-1 that my dad bought for me in the spring of 1953 is still the most accurate .22 rifle I have ever shot.For an awful lot of years it has carried a Weaver 4 power 1 inch scope and is still a 100 yard 1 inch shooter. I can't begin to recall the amount of small game that has been put on the table with that rifle and I don't even have a picture of it to post. A perfect rifle in my opinion, as your's is to you.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Some of the best deals, in a super accurate bolt gun, are the old Remington 5"teen" series. The older CZ452's are amazing bolt rifles also. The Remington 550 series of semiautos are the only autos I know of that can shoot short, long, and long rifle rounds. Oh course, there's nothing like an old 39A. :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
1894c

Re: 22 rifle for hunting -- BROWNING BL-22

Post by 1894c »

i have owned allot of .22 rifles, even the CZ 452 Government Model, Ruger 10/22, Marlin & one ancient Remington boltactions, Marlin 39A, Browning SA-22 , but in the end i have come down to one choice...the BROWNING BL-22 (grade 1)...it is the finest rifle I have owned...all the others were great (just being kind at this juncture), but this levergun design beats them all...of course this is my lousy, cranky, bask-east opinion...others may vary... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

wolfdog,
Tell us about the dog.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Have to go with the Marlin 39a as well. Very accurate and hangs kind of like a longrifle offhand. Quiet....sometimes I have to double check to make sure the bullet came out. Lots of history there and classy looking as well. The Trapper I sold last year and replaced with the Marlin 336 Texan in 44 mag. recently.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

For a levergun, the 39A. For anything else, a CZ 452. I've got both, love both. (CZ is convinced it is a target rifle)

Eric
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Dave wrote:
the 2009 Squirrels in the Attic Massacre

i can't wait for the movie, or least the three night TV version... :)
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I have several 22 lever and semi auto rifles.

This one, a 1957 Mountie, is the favorite - by a very large margin.

It's neither the smoothest, nor the most accurate - but within 50yds - tree and ground squirrels don't have a chance.

...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The CZ is hard to beat on value, quality and accuracy. My son put the carrying handle on.. :roll:

But my 9422 is definately on topic.. :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I love all .22s, but my go to small game rifle is a Marlin 39A of 1963 vintage, fitted with a Williams receiver sight it does the job very well.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Okay, yes, I do have a levergun in .22.

But, I'm kinda addicted to .22 autos. My current favorite for small game is.

My Nylon 66.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

When I hunt with a .22LR, I hunt with my trusty Ruger 10/22.

Here it is in it's current incarnation:

It's a semi-auto, but you can ask anyone who's ever hunted with me, I prefer "One shot, One kill" versus "Spray and pray." If I take more than one shot while I'm hunting, I'm bringing home more than one edible dead thing, or I've resolved a pest critter.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

My retired remmy 550-1 is very accurate and looks good too but the real tack drivers are my .22lr Henry accu bolt and long distance .22wmr accu bolts both with 3-9 X 40 bushnell scopes.

My Henry Golden boy .22.lr is a great shooter too. And my Marlin model 60ss with a fixed 4x scope and my Marlin 795 with red dot sight are great shooters too.

It always is a difficult choice of which one(s) to take out.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

This:

LK
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

This is my one and only .22 rimfire ‘rifle’ I’ve ever owned.
I bought this Remington 541S new in 1979 as well as the Redfield 4X wide view scope.
Many a tree-rat & groundhog have been taken over the years with this Remington.
Her favorite ammo. is the Winchester T22. Hole through hole accuracy
(and yes I have the targets to prove it, indoor range @ York Rifleman :wink: )

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

casashle,
Looks just like mine, different scope.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

My tastes are a bit more "budget oriented" than a lot of the choices on here (well, maybe not tastes, i just use what i have) --

a Ruger 10/22target model and a Remington 513-T target model both compete to be the most accurate rifles in my stable, but either one is heavy as heck and a little cumbersome in the woods
---- another pretty basic stainless 10/22 i recently added is a winner. I posted a thread when i got it a few months ago about the lousy plastic parts they are using for everything now, -- but i shot it -- its accurate, lightweight, and does everything its supposed to do

That leaves my basic $280 Henry -- even with the factory open sights, it is deadly at typical squirrel distances. Not quite one hole accurate, but then again, i dont think i have ever put it on any sandbags to check it out other than making sure it was zeroed -- a big plus is that its just as accurate with CB and 22 Short loads

But since you are a silencer owner now, i have to add that the Doc's integrally suppressed 96/22 is about the neatest thing i have seen today :D
----- Doug
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like 'em all.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:My Ruger 96; short lever throw, 10 round magazine, plenty accurate, easier to clean if rain/mud vs. a tubular-magazine gun. Scoped it is very easy to shoot accurately...

...but currently it wears an integrally-suppressed barrel and a Tru-Glo red-dot, for use as a 'newbie' gun...

The .22 Mag or .17 HMR versions might make more sense for larger critters, though.
If that's the one I sold you, you realize I'm going to have to shoot it next time I'm down there... :twisted:

Sadly not much use for a .22 were I am. More use for a .22-250 :roll:
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

It's pretty hard to only have one. For fun it's hard to beat a Win 62A - the kids reckon its theirs. I also have CZ 452 - mine was a bit rough internally and needed some polishing but it is very accurate. 1/2" groups at 50 yards with any decent ammo is normal. One on my wish list is a Marlin 39 Mountie.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I would hate to have only one, but the only thing I have that can equal my Remington 511-X (yes I know the front sight is ugly, I also owned a Rem 600, the king of ugly) for accuracy is the 1930's Winchester 57 bolt gun my aunt bought brand new. As far as a joy to carry and great shooter my Remington Nylon 76 lever is hard to beat, or the modern Stevens Favorite I bought when my kids were little and wanted something their size to shoot.

Post by JB »

A bolt rifle all the way for the accuracy. I'd go with a CZ if budget was a concern. If budget wasn't a concern, a 54 actioned Anschutz.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

JB wrote:A bolt rifle all the way for the accuracy. I'd go with a CZ if budget was a concern. If budget wasn't a concern, a 54 actioned Anschutz.

+1
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

My 2 favorites are my Marlin 39 Mountie using Winchester T22 ammo. My old Remington 572 pump using Remington high velocity shorts.
UNITE
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

if you want to shoot hollow points, you probably don't want a lever
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

bulldog1935 wrote:if you want to shoot hollow points, you probably don't want a lever
Say what? :? :? :?

LK
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

they jam in Marlin 39a, and not recommended by the manufacturer for Henry .22s
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I'm kinda partial to the little Browning 22 auto in the bottom of this picture !

Gun was made in 1969 .

Also have a pair of Winchester pumps not pictured that I like alot .

The first is a little Model 1890 pump that shoots 22 Short only . This one was purchased new by my maternal grandfather back in the 20's and is still an excellent shooting little rifle . Gun has some blueing wear but he maintained it well .
Also have a Winchester Model 61 from the 50's that does very nicely and an sorry to say I don't have a pic of that one readily available either .

In the pic above there's a Remington Model 512 tubular magazine bolt action rifle that I am thinking will shoot nicely when I get around to really trying it out .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:This is my one and only .22 rimfire ‘rifle’ I’ve ever owned.
I bought this Remington 541S new in 1979 as well as the Redfield 4X wide view scope.
Many a tree-rat & groundhog have been taken over the years with this Remington.
Her favorite ammo. is the Winchester T22. Hole through hole accuracy
(and yes I have the targets to prove it, indoor range @ York Rifleman :wink: )

I had a 541S a few years back and it shot tiny one hole 5 shot groups at 25 yards with a 6x Leupold Compact with and AO (off the bags of course). I got my best accuracy with then what was called "Eley Gold Benchrest" . Later when Remington brought out the Model 541T-HB I got one and it never held a candle to what the older 541S would do !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

winchester 9422 trapper!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Henry .22lr and the Ruger 10/22. I have both and they have never failed me. Sparrows in the backyard with the sliding patio door open using the Henry and .22 Super Colibri ammo is almost too much fun to be believed. The squirrels won't come into the back yard anymore. They stay in the front where I cannot take the shot. The 10/22 will someday get a nice carbon fiber wrapped target barrel and maybe a trigger job. After that, a scope will happen. With either the Henry or the 10/22, I can do anything that my skill level is capable of with a .22lr, and the rifles will do more than that.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

The new Henry H001T octagon barrel guns are really nice and good shooters too. II got one for the grandkids and it's went through 2500 rounds so far with no problems and good accuracy.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Springfield model 83 singleshot bolt. It never misses. :wink: