I Nominate Steelbanger For The "Mr. 25-20"........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

I Nominate Steelbanger For The "Mr. 25-20"........

Post by Sixgun »

title. Well, its a close nomination as my good friend Jack Kort (w30wcf) is a mighty close runner up. In fact, I'll include 6pt Sika and all of the rest of you boys as "Mr 25-20 Jr." I will be "Mr 25-20 the 3rd". Hows that? :D

Steelbanger (Frank) sent me a s...load of Ranch Dog bullets for the 25-20. Those babies looked so good I ran down to the dungeon and loaded a few up. Left some of 'em unsized at .259 and I sized some at .258. Seated them at 1.60. Used a very mild load of 2.5 Bullseye---for starters. Well, well, well...........These babies shoot as good as the jacketed 86 gr. Remingtons. Like I said, I'm only startin'.....but.....the initial results sure are encouraging. :D Thanks Frank!! I owe you partner!

Here they are. Steelbanger had them in the socks and you know what? They fit me! :D Frank, you want them back?

I shot both of these groups today. Left side is the 76 gr. Ranch Dog gas check and the right side is the 86 gr.RCBS--same load--same diameter. The group is half the size with the Ranch Dog.
Those nasty RCBS bullets yaw at any velocity--at least in my guns.

Left to right---RCBS 86 gr, Lyman 70 gr. and the Ranch Dog. See the difference? The Ranch Dog does not have the stupid driving band. (I'm gonna shoot that RCBS mould with some green tip .223)

Its somethin' how the human brain works. I was ready to smash this Winchester Model 53 against a fence post.....until today. Now she's my best friend. :D Thanks guys for all of your input. :D The experimentation continues. :wink: -------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Re: I Nominate Steelbanger For The "Mr. 25-20"........

Post by Griff »

Congrats Jack. That's still a pretty mdl 53, even if you can't shoot worth beans. Glad you're finally gettin' help from the magic bullet factory!! :twisted: :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: beans.

Beans? Thats about all I can afford to eat after all of this stupid experimentation. I kinda like the bean's after effects anyway. 'Ya know, a man has got to share things with his buddies :D I can see me and you takin' a cross country trip in your KW. Whew! You would have to sell it at the end! :D ----------Sixgun

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've got the RD mold for the 425 grain .458" bullet. I love his designs. It's good to hear that his .258" is performing for you. Do you know what alloy he used for those?

I just noticed that http://www.carolinacastbullets.com is offering cast bullets in 100 and 500 unit quantities from the Ranch Dog designs. I might have to try that route.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Very Nice Picture Jack ! Didnt know you had that Blessing also !
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Sixgun,

If they fit just keep the socks. If I had some shot bags I would have used them rather than using my personal wardrobe. I'm glad you had an encouraging group first time out with the Ranch Dog Bullets.

Frank
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I've got the RD mold for the 425 grain .458" bullet. I love his designs. It's good to hear that his .258" is performing for you. Do you know what alloy he used for those?

I just noticed that http://www.carolinacastbullets.com is offering cast bullets in 100 and 500 unit quantities from the Ranch Dog designs. I might have to try that route.

McNut,
Don't know the alloy, but those babies are hard!. I put them on my Saeco hardness tester and they registered a 9-10 which is a bit harder than #2 Lyman alloy. :D I'm starting to get educated on these RD thingys.--------Sixgun

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Sixgun,
Glad to hear that you are having some success......but 2.5 grs of Bullseye(??)....will they even make it to the 100M ram without a sight extension(?) and if/when they arrive, they will probably just bounce off... :D :D :D

If you still have some SR80 left, 7-8 grs would probably work really well.

Bullets from my Ranch Dog mold made from w.w. with 2% tin added weigh 85 grs. Lino bullets weigh 81 grs.
Just checking to verify that the 76 gr weight is correct(?)

I do know that there were some variations in Lee's 6 cavity molds and perhaps that is the reason for the weight difference.

Regarding the 86 gr. Remington bullet, I now recall that Tony Tello who coholds the national record (75x80) in NRA Cowboy Silhouette did it with a 25-20 using that bullet over 11/4198.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

John & Jack,

My alloy is a secret, even to me! I have been trying to use up the 3 tons of stereotype I had and right now my bullets are a bit softer than those cast a few years back. I've been using some of my stash of pure lead too which gives heavier bullets than my previous blend. Looking for a wee bit of expansion on deer among other reasons for this quest.

About the weight, as I recall this mould was a 2 cavity Ranch Dog when he was in the testing mode before a new bullet is introduced. I am so happy to help RD out even though he has me sometimes casting in the summer. When the testing was over and I parted ways with my 25-20 Marlin I asked Ranch Dog if he wanted this mould back. He declined but offered the name of someone that may have some interest in taking it. Contact was made and the mould shipped off.

Next Ranch Dog bullet testing will be happening soon, a 38-55 GC bullet with conventional lube grooves. RD used chamber impressions from my two 38-55's to determine the chamber specifics. I can't wait to try these.

John, that was an interesting observation about the Bullseye loads. I wondered how that 2.5 charge would work on rams. Then again I used 2.5 of BE in the 270 Ren with a heavier Lyman bullet and it never failed to knock down the 100M rams IF I managed to hit them.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

w30wcf wrote:Sixgun,
Glad to hear that you are having some success......but 2.5 grs of Bullseye(??)..

If you still have some SR80 left, 7-8 grs would probably work really well.

Bullets from my Ranch Dog mold made from w.w. with 2% tin added weigh 85 grs. Lino bullets weigh 81 grs.
Just checking to verify that the 76 gr weight is correct(?)

I do know that there were some variations in Lee's 6 cavity molds and perhaps that is the reason for the weight difference.
The 2.5 was just a starter. I've always believed that if a bullet @ 1,000 fps don't shoot, nothing else will. And YES, the #80 is going to be tried out after work today. I already loaded some up. :D (along with some AA#7)

Dang! I told you Steelbangers bullets were hard. Stereotype? I have his address and I say you and I pay a visit via "midnight lead supply". :D Man! I only heard/read about the stuff and he's got 3 ton's of it!!!!

Frank, we is comin'! :D (ebonics)-----------Sixgun

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have never used lead in any of my .25-20s, but really like the Speer 75 FN. That bullet over 12/4198 makes for a great close in Coyote stomper. I also have a good supply of the old WW 60 gr OPEs, but haven't used any in a number of years. I used to be able to pick up good clean boxes of the old HV .25-20s for 10 bucks, but no more. Collectors have driven the price of even the old Remington "Dog Bone" 60 grain HV stuff skyward. Loading 'yer own is the only way to go with that great little cartridge. Maybe I'll break down and try some lead for a change, but will stay clear of Bullseye and use Unique instead. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Steelbanger wrote: Next Ranch Dog bullet testing will be happening soon, a 38-55 GC bullet with conventional lube grooves. RD used chamber impressions from my two 38-55's to determine the chamber specifics. I can't wait to try these.
This 250 grainer he's making about had me convinced to get another Marlin 375 !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have used those 250s to great effect in my .38-56. It is vintage 1907 and has a mint, tight .375 bore, unlike the earlier ones that often have .379 diameter bores.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mike D. wrote:I have used those 250s to great effect in my .38-56. It is vintage 1907 and has a mint, tight .375 bore, unlike the earlier ones that often have .379 diameter bores.

In the old circa 1897 Marlin 1895 in 38-56 I "had" I shot the Lyman 375449 with great results . Thats about a 264 grain GC bullet . I used that one with open sights to head shoot a whitetail doe one year at the astounding yardage of 27 steps :lol:

And amazingly enough even with my medium to slightly under medium loads the bullet went thru her skull and exited the other side !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff wrote:Congrats Jack. That's still a pretty mdl 53, even if you can't shoot worth beans. Glad you're finally gettin' help from the magic bullet factory!! :twisted: :P
:D
Old Law Dawg
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, glad Steelbanger's bullets finally found a home! I can't add much but before Steelbanger and 6pt-sika asks, the C379-250-RF is still waiting on the trial molds to be delivered. Steelbanger, Tom Myers (TMT), and I will be shooting these bullets to see how they do.

It is unfortunately that I don't shoot my 1894CL rifles more, but it seems the ones that give me trouble get shot the most. The 218 Bee, 25-20 and 32-20 don't give me any trouble.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ranch Dog wrote:Well, glad Steelbanger's bullets finally found a home! I can't add much but before Steelbanger and 6pt-sika asks, the C379-250-RF is still waiting on the trial molds to be delivered. Steelbanger, Tom Myers (TMT), and I will be shooting these bullets to see how they do.

It is unfortunately that I don't shoot my 1894CL rifles more, but it seems the ones that give me trouble get shot the most. The 218 Bee, 25-20 and 32-20 don't give me any trouble.
Ranch Dog,
I really gave those babies a workout today at the gunclub where I can shoot to my hearts content without the neighbors calling the cops on me.

I grinded/polished out my .258 sizing die to .259. I only ran the bullets in the die enough to lube the gas check area and loaded up (after lots of home experimentation) 60 rounds in front of 4.5 gr. of Unique. Like Frank Marshall, I smeared lube on the noses.

At 50 meters, 10 shots went into an inch and a quarter (2 groups) At 75 meters 10 shots went into 2 inches and at 100 meters, 10 went into a bit less than 3 inches. I'm 57 and can't see the front sight as good as I used to so I'm happy with that. This Model 53 is ready for pistol caliber silhouette. :D

I can't say the bullets shot as good out of my Marlin CL---not bad but about 5 inches at 100 meters, but...........I only shot one 5 shot group at 100---that don't tell alot.

My buddy Gunny was there and we shot one group (5 shots) out of his 1892 SRC and they went into 1 and 1/2 at 50 meters-----better than anything else he has shot out of it.

We are each gonna order up a mould and check out your other selections.

Thanks pard. :D --------------Sixgun

Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks the report!