First CAS shoot today,GREAT!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

First CAS shoot today,GREAT!!

Post by JerryB »

Today we went to our first shoot. We flat had a ball,my 19 year old grandson beat me by a few points . We both shot with just one sixgun but we had a good time. He used his Ruger NV .357, a 1894 Marlin,and his Stoeger Coachgun,12ga. I used my old Colt .45, Winchester 92 32-20 rifle, and a LeFever 20ga double. I reckon as of now we'll be going back, they were sure good folks.

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Sounds like you guys had quite a time. :D

I have none of the firearms that are required for the sport. :cry:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep, that's the trouble with them kids today. Go around out shootin their elders. I gotta watch my youngin about that too Jerry. He tries but he ain't put enough lead down range to get away with it.
Glad to hear you had a good time.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Still a SASS member but I haven't been able to compete in a number of years. But when I did it was a hoot.
Old Law Dawg
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

careful, it can become an addiction! :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That is a fact for sure, we are both plum took with it.Kind of like looking at a pretty little cow pony, just gets to you.

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I went to a CAS shoot today also. I was offered to borrow the guns, (one fellar had all that I would need) but in Rugers. I've never gotten used to the "no half-cock" and action, so I declined. All I did all day was count misses and pickup brass. I still had a load of fun.

They were all "a-fire" to loan me the guns and "get me started playing", till I told 'em my SASS #. Then they figured out I wasn't a newbie. Won prize in the drawing at the end of the match. But, drat, someone beat me to the 1lb of 3F Goex on the table.

It is VERY addicting. Be ready to have fun.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Griff, I know now how contagious CAS can be,we just got back from the local shop where my grandson ordered another Ruger just like the one he has. It will be in Thursday. I told what your SASS number is and all he daid was WOW!!

Jerry

foureyedfloyd
Levergunner

Post by foureyedfloyd »

JerryB wrote:Griff, I know now how contagious CAS can be,we just got back from the local shop where my grandson ordered another Ruger just like the one he has. It will be in Thursday. I told what your SASS number is and all he daid was WOW!!

Jerry
Went to my first on Sunday, a blast to be sure! :D Got beat bad by an 11 year old! :oops: and out of 41 one shooter I ranked 41, ok so it was not number 1 but at least people will remember me as last place. :roll:

SASS 75002
Four Eyed Floyd
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

foureyedfloyd,I reckon you will be going back just like us.It sure got in our blood quick.Now I have to come up with some light CAS loads to play the game,won't seem right without my old Colt bucking in my hand.

Jerry

foureyedfloyd
Levergunner

Post by foureyedfloyd »

JerryB wrote:foureyedfloyd,I reckon you will be going back just like us.It sure got in our blood quick.Now I have to come up with some light CAS loads to play the game,won't seem right without my old Colt bucking in my hand.

Jerry
I have used Trail Boss about 3 grains in the 38's 158gr bullets, doesn't kick and hits the targets up to 50 yards. Sitll perfecting the hand loads and starting to lean toward the dark side...lots of smoke! :o

Four Eyed Floyd SASS 75002
Four Eyed Floyd
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

foureyedfloyd,today I loaded some .45's with 6.1gr of Unique with 255gr cast and some .38s with 4.2gr Unique and 158gr cast.We will try these and see how they do.Grandson is shooting Ruger NV and Marlin .357
carbine. Now I have to load some more 32-20's for my old 92.

Jerry

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I used to go all the time. But with things being they way they are I havent been able to shoot in years and have let my membership laps :oops: . I am glad the two of you had fun it is an addicting sport.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
foureyedfloyd
Levergunner

Post by foureyedfloyd »

Saloon slug wrote:I used to go all the time. But with things being they way they are I havent been able to shoot in years and have let my membership laps :oops: . I am glad the two of you had fun it is an addicting sport.
It's never to late to get back in. :!: I may never bring home the trophies but it is still fun. :D

Four eyed Floyd
SASS 75002
Four Eyed Floyd
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds like a ton of fun!!!

IIRC you need to be 11 to participate? My son is 9 now - when he's eligible I'm going to get into the sport!!! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It varies from club to club. IIRC, 12 is the age for most of the larger shoots. And, now they have a class for the real younsters, don't even need all the guns. .22s and .410s are ok. See page 13 under "Age Based Categories" for "Buckaroos" in the Shooter's Handbook. My son started when he as 9 at our local club shoots. By 10 he was shooting some of the larger matches, and @ 11 we flat lied and said he was 12. He was helping run stages and such by 13. Won his first Jr. @ EOT in 90, got beat in 92, but won @ Raton from '90 to '93.

Saloon Slug, it's like everything else, you either "make" the time, or it slips away from ya.

And Floyd, no worries about finishin' last. Come shoot with us in TX, and I'll likely finish behind ya. Best get used to bein' beat by some youngster with keen eyes and quick reflexes. Son regularly beat me by the time he was 13 or so. Don't know which I was prouder of, my 2nd place or his 1st.

Kim, they will let you back in. With the same number, just your alias might be taken now.

Jerry, nothing to be impressed with. Just been doin' it a long time, but still having fun. In fact, maybe more now that I don't feel the need to be running things. And, 'sides, no one lets me.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
foureyedfloyd
Levergunner

Post by foureyedfloyd »

Griff wrote:It varies from club to club. IIRC, 12 is the age for most of the larger shoots. And, now they have a class for the real younsters, don't even need all the guns. .22s and .410s are ok. See page 13 under "Age Based Categories" for "Buckaroos" in the Shooter's Handbook. My son started when he as 9 at our local club shoots. By 10 he was shooting some of the larger matches, and @ 11 we flat lied and said he was 12. He was helping run stages and such by 13. Won his first Jr. @ EOT in 90, got beat in 92, but won @ Raton from '90 to '93.

Saloon Slug, it's like everything else, you either "make" the time, or it slips away from ya.

And Floyd, no worries about finishin' last. Come shoot with us in TX, and I'll likely finish behind ya. Best get used to bein' beat by some youngster with keen eyes and quick reflexes. Son regularly beat me by the time he was 13 or so. Don't know which I was prouder of, my 2nd place or his 1st.

Kim, they will let you back in. With the same number, just your alias might be taken now.

Jerry, nothing to be impressed with. Just been doin' it a long time, but still having fun. In fact, maybe more now that I don't feel the need to be running things. And, 'sides, no one lets me.
i was watching Cowboys Wed. on the Outdoor Channel and they had Ming on. He gave a lot of good advice on getting mentally ready for the match, went to the range today to pratice some of the suggestions people gave me. First I think I will just try to shoot "clean" once and then work on speed. The ladies didn't have impressive time but did shoot fairly clean. Thanks for the encouragement it helps keep me going! :D :D :D
Four Eyed Floyd