Is it wise to buy a new Marlin?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Is it wise to buy a new Marlin?

Post by nralover »

Guys, I want a new .30-30 to convert to AI. I know you all dismiss the Mossberg, and I have heard bad things about the new Marlin rifles. Is it safe to buy one, or am I just out of luck?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Is it wise to buy a new Marlin?

Post by Blaine »

At this point, I'd personally be a little worried. You can still get used 336s for far cheaper than new. YMMV :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

Who else makes a new manufacture lever?
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Uberti, Rossi, .... :(
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

There are a whole lot of very clean used Marlins out there. I would feel better starting with one of them particularly if I was building up a rifle I planned to keep.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

nralover,
I have a good used 336 at my gunsmiths as we speak,that is being coverted to 30-30 AI.I paid $185.00 for a 1977 model 336 with no safety,no rebounding hammer,beautiful wood,smaller barrel band forend and solid as a rock. I don't think it worth your while to purchase a new rifle with all of the good used leverguns (Marlins tried and true) available out there.Just my 2 cents.
Ron
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

With all respects there are 181 Marlin 30-30's on Gunbroker right now. You don't need worry about a new one.Good Luck.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

noth'n wrong with used ones either
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

In short, NO! Buy a used one!

Go over to marlinowners.com and spend a few minutes reading in the "marlin rant forum". That will scare you clear of the "Remlins" real quick!
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Dave wrote:There are a whole lot of very clean used Marlins out there. I would feel better starting with one of them particularly if I was building up a rifle I planned to keep.
I'd feel less guilty changing one all around if it were a newly-manufactured one (which I would depend on being structurally sound, safe, but perhaps needing some cosmetic and/or fitting attention), than I would the average gently-used Marlin, which often has worn in slicky-smooth, and is "just right" as a shooter.

Now if you come across an old one that has gotten run over by an ATV, and the barrel bent or something, so it faces certain overhaul anyway, that's a different matter...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

AJMD429 wrote:
Dave wrote:There are a whole lot of very clean used Marlins out there. I would feel better starting with one of them particularly if I was building up a rifle I planned to keep.
I'd feel less guilty changing one all around if it were a newly-manufactured one (which I would depend on being structurally sound, safe, but perhaps needing some cosmetic and/or fitting attention), than I would the average gently-used Marlin, which often has worn in slicky-smooth, and is "just right" as a shooter.

Now if you come across an old one that has gotten run over by an ATV, and the barrel bent or something, so it faces certain overhaul anyway, that's a different matter...
I understand your sentiment here, but when a used quality made Marlin is cheaper than a brand new one of unknown quality, I don't think it's an issue to do a little bit of chamber reaming to AI. Marlin sold so many of those 336's that I doubt the used market ever gets lean in any of our lifetimes, especially with the economy the way it is. There are even a lot of pre-safety gold trigger models floating around for a decent price, and those are the only ones that have any danger of becoming collectors any time soon.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Only thing you get with a new one you dont with a used one is a warranty. Its going to be voided when you cut the chamber anyway so I'd just ho buy a nice used one. Or buy a 308MX & get a 30/30 on steroids with a factory warranty. I got one & its everything I needed it to be, but mines a real Marlin too. I dont think I'd buy a new 30/30 right now.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Go on GunBroker.com and look for a pre Remington Marlin
new in box , they are out there.
Or just look for one in mint condition. :wink: :wink:
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Buy used. I just sold a 2002 Stainless 336 for about $540. I imagine a normal blued is considerably less at the pawn or somewhere.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I looked at a new 1895 in the store the other day. The metal work looked nice, but the wood to metal fit was pretty bad. Fore end was ok, but the buttstock had kind of jagged gaps at the rear of the receiver and the wood was proud of the end of the lower tang by at least 3/16, maybe 1/4 inch! :shock: Of course it was tie-wrapped so I couldn't try the action, so no comment there.
Sure wouldn't buy one sight unseen. Hope they get all this squared away.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

How long is the barrel life for a .30-30? I just don't want to buy a used one and spend the time and money to convert it if it wont last a long time.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Mate, you would have to put a lot of rounds down the tube to wear out a 30-30 barrel!!!

In my humble opinion you should find a good clean older 336 Marlin and send her off to be reamed.

Even in a backwards country like Australia it is getting hard to pick up an old Marlin 30-30 because lots of people are buying them in preference to the new ones on offer. Just go and look at the ugly wood on those new ones in the store and that should be enough to put you off.

I have recently sold my new 1895 45-70 to buy a 1975 made 1895 and I can tell you now that it is a better rifle all over than the new one was. Both the Marlin 30-30's I own are early 1980 manufacture and with a bit of load development they will shoot 5 shots into 1 1/2 " at 100 yards all day.

The older ones are just better guns, so go and get one, you will end up with it reamed to AI and sitting bach on your bech with less in it than purcahsing a new inferior creation off the shelf.

I have said enough.

Pop.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

In a word ....................... no.

Listen to Pop. He's got it right.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

nralover wrote:How long is the barrel life for a .30-30? I just don't want to buy a used one and spend the time and money to convert it if it wont last a long time.
I totally agree with "buy used" - for several reasons - let me list them:

1) price
2) quality will be for sure - new one may have to go back to the factory
3) if you ream the chamber to AI, you void the warranty anyway

As to the life of the barrel - most all of the ones that I've purchased that are 10 years old or less have had 100% bores - like they'd been shot to sight-in and hunted with and that's it....

I wanted a .356 Win and chose a 30-year old 336RC 35 Rem - it's bore was perfect! Wood was all worn and needed refinishing and some of the blue was gone... but the bore was great. Still is ;)

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Just want to add that if you buy an experienced Marlin, you can get one without the cross-bolt safety as well... and I just looked on gunbroker - there are all kinds of them for sale at under $300! I almost bid on one... there's a 35 Rem for $325 too...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

claybob86 wrote:I looked at a new 1895 in the store the other day. The metal work looked nice, but the wood to metal fit was pretty bad. Fore end was ok, but the buttstock had kind of jagged gaps at the rear of the receiver and the wood was proud of the end of the lower tang by at least 3/16......! :shock: .
That is exactly how I would describe my Marlin 1894 - pre cross bolt safety. :lol: Most Marlins made since the late 1970s have not reflected a high degree of fit and finish. IMHO! However, given the cost for one, they were a bargain as a hunting arm. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

I just stopped by a local store on my lunch break. They had a new Marlin 336C, and it had one of the prettiest pieces of walnut. Still I couldn't help but think of this thread, so I laid off....
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I'd go with a gently used and not abused Pre crossbolt safety, Pre rebounding hammer, even if i payed a little more. Only way i'd go modern is a .338 Marlin. Life about's tradeoffs. :(
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Apparently the quality is uneven - there is a 45-70 new at the local that I would consider if I didn't already have a good one. So if I could see it an liked it and it worked well I might likely buy. I don't usually order guns of any kind but of course I did take a chance on a Ruger 44 Special lately (have seen ones I wouldn't buy) and I ordered a Dakota Rifle one time and took a chance on a 77R 7x57 at a great price but had to bed it to get it to shoot - now great, at first terrible.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Nope-----------------go for a sweet 1970's 336c in .35 Rem
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

Grizzly Adams wrote:Most Marlins made since the late 1970s have not reflected a high degree of fit and finish. IMHO! However, given the cost for one, they were a bargain as a hunting arm. :)
I think that is probably the realistic way to look at "pre-Freedom Group" Marlins. My own experience with a bunch of 1894C carbines and .357 Cowboy rifles made over the last 20 years leaves me puzzled when I hear people rave about the craftsmanship on late North Haven guns. Maybe I got all the ones with the flaws, but I doubt it. For mass-merchandised working guns they were - and are - okay, but for fit/finish they are in no way comparable to the older examples.

(Or today's Miroku-made Browning or Winchester copies.)
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

The 1894SS I bought about 6 years ago is pretty darn good, but I did see Marlins on the store racks around that time that I would not have cared to buy.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
1894c

Post by 1894c »

My Rem-Marlin 1894c has been great (bought it in September 2011)--fit and finish is good, action is smooth, accurate, wood is nice (no gaps or issues)---hunted with it last fall. Most of the new marlins I've handled seem ok to me, I'd buy another if I needed one.

But with all of that said, I would buy a used Marlin especially if you're going to convert it--I just bought a used post-64 Winchester 30/30 on Gunbroker for $299.00, bought back in November 2011 (there were 20 pages of Winchester's for sale at that time). Used is good, remember most people don't shoot their 30/30's much... :)
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I have to wonder if the Remlin issues were "1.0" problems?

I looked over at the Marlin Owners forum and most of the issues seem to be from mid last year into early fall.

Very few reports from this year... I can understand the first few runs being 'rough'... Esp. with new facilities and employees. I never go to a new restaurant in the first month of opening for this exact reason....

Would be interested to hear more reports of rifles that have entered the channel in the fall or so before I can condemn the company entirely.

Chad
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Quality began to decline noticeably during the last year of the old plant's existence.
Remington ran into unanticipated difficulties in Ilion startup production of leverguns, suspended production on several pending an in-depth analysis & new equipment.

People are saying that any Marlin levergun showing the JM on the barrel is good, any showing REM on the barrel is bad.
Neither is true.

Remington built early Ilion guns using remaining stocks of JM barrels from the old plant, so the presence of a JM means only that that's where the barrel was produced, not the entire gun.

Currently, Remington is phasing in their new CNC & other processes on the Marlin-branded guns.
If you want to buy new now, check a prospective gun over carefully in person BEFORE committing to it.
They're not all bad. But, unfortunately, many have been.
Or, you may want to wait till Summer, when the revamped processes should be fully in place.
Denis
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I'd rather buy a new Rossi Rio Grande than a new Remlin 336. The stainless Rio Grande in 45/70 is calling to me. :wink:

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I currently have 4 marlin leveractions. I have never purchased one new. But, if no one buys these new ones, it won't be long before there wont BE any new ones. Just saying...
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

damienph wrote:I currently have 4 marlin leveractions. I have never purchased one new. But, if no one buys these new ones, it won't be long before there wont BE any new ones. Just saying...
Valid point- Hopefully they get squared away soon...
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

damienph wrote:I currently have 4 marlin leveractions. I have never purchased one new. But, if no one buys these new ones, it won't be long before there wont BE any new ones. Just saying...
My "new" Marlin is a 1894 44 mag first purchased new in 1976 a gift from Dad. I also have a 1946 vintage square bolt model 36 in 30/30 which I bought back in mid 2007 which was intended as a gift for Dad except he passed away a couple days before it arrived. Due to poor quality control I refuse to buy a new Remlin. If no one buys these Remlins due to poor quality, and they stop making them Remington will only have themselves to blame.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Remington's working on it.
Denis
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I'd rather buy a new Rossi Rio Grande than a new Remlin 336. The stainless Rio Grande in 45/70 is calling to me. :wink:

First I've seen of those. It's obviously a Marlin action, do parts interchange? Has anyone bought one? Configurations do look nice on the website.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

COSteve wrote:In a word ....................... no.

Listen to Pop. He's got it right.
+2 The older pre safety rifles are where its at. I would pay more for a nice older one than a new one any day even though I am starting to hear good things about the new ones, but its still early I believe. You just cant go wrong with a JM stamped pre safety Rifle.
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

sore shoulder wrote:
Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I'd rather buy a new Rossi Rio Grande than a new Remlin 336. The stainless Rio Grande in 45/70 is calling to me. :wink:

First I've seen of those. It's obviously a Marlin action, do parts interchange? Has anyone bought one? Configurations do look nice on the website.

I first saw these at the ShotShow 3 years ago. Obviousely, they are 336/1895 style actions. At the time it didn't make a lot of sense to me for Rossi to make these because Marlin already made a nice gun. Fast forward and now with the Marlin/Rem deal going south maybe Rossi knew something.
I have since bought a blue and a stainless in 30-30, and a blue and stainless in 45-70 . These are nice guns and cost less than the Marlins, too. I did action work on the SS 45-70 and the SS 30-30. The parts are just different enough that the marlin parts won't enterchange.

These guns are for sale if anyone is interested.
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Nate Kiowa Jones wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:

I first saw these at the ShotShow 3 years ago. Obviousely, they are 336/1895 style actions. At the time it didn't make a lot of sense to me for Rossi to make these because Marlin already made a nice gun. Fast forward and now with the Marlin/Rem deal going south maybe Rossi knew something.
I have since bought a blue and a stainless in 30-30, and a blue and stainless in 45-70 . These are nice guns and cost less than the Marlins, too. I did action work on the SS 45-70 and the SS 30-30. The parts are just different enough that the marlin parts won't enterchange.

These guns are for sale if anyone is interested.
Thanks Nate, I was wondering if you had any knowledge of those. That stainless 30-30 would be a nice companion for my SS guide gun. I could not tell from the picks but do those have a cross bolt safety?

To the OP, the Rossi sounds like a good option for an AI job.
11B30
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

sore shoulder wrote: Thanks Nate, I was wondering if you had any knowledge of those. That stainless 30-30 would be a nice companion for my SS guide gun. I could not tell from the picks but do those have a cross bolt safety?
To the OP, the Rossi sounds like a good option for an AI job.
Yes, and they have the key lock on the hammer as well.
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015