Chamber Reaming Questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Chamber Reaming Questions

Post by Bruce »

How about a good education on rechambering a barrel? Actually, I need information and experiences on rechambering. I know absolutely nothing about the subject, but have been toying with the idea of doing it to some of my rifles.

For starters, every rifle barrel that I am considering rechambering is a single shot rifle. Most of the barrels are Thompson Center Encore/Pro Hunter barrels and at least one is a CVA Scout barrel. Both barrel systems are essentially the same in that they use a hinge pin to attach the barrel to the frame and both headspace off of the face of the receiver or firing pin bushing. All of the barrels are 7mm, either 7mm-08 or 280 Remington (7mm Express).

I am exploring two possibilities. Either reaming the 7mm-08's to 280 Remington or reaming all of the barrels to 280 Remington Ackley Improved (40 degree). I know I can send them off for the conversion, but would like to know if it is something I can "correctly" do myself.

What is the difference between a solid pilot and a interchangable pilot reamer? Do I need a finish reamer, a rough reamer or both? Can they be "properly" reamed by hand? Is a pull through reamer a better option? With my barrels, how do I ensure I get the proper depth/headspace? In other words, what tools/gauges do I need?

Pros/Cons, experiences, pictures - any information is appreciated.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: Chamber Reaming Questions

Post by Thunder50 »

A set of go-nogo guages and a finish reamer (and cutting fluid and a tap handle) would be all you need to do the AI round. I think the 7-08 is too large in diameter at the shoulder, to rechamber it to 280rem. Solid pilot is just that, the diameter of the guiding part of the reamer is a fixed diameter. Interchangeable pilot has different diameter "sleeves" beacuse different barrels might have different bore sizes.

You would need to check prints to see if you can rechamber to AI. Check Clymer and the other mfgs to see if they have chamber dims.

Just checked dimensions. It would be close as the AI is only .001" larger diameter at the shoulder, but since the shoulder is about .475" farther forward, the dimensions where the 7-08 shoulder is, should be fine.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Bubba just uses a big old rat tail file to chamber his !! :o

With no way to pilot the rear end of the reamer, it is very easy to end up with an egg shaped or oversize chamber.
I would want to do it (have it done??) in the lathe.
Just my humble opinion. (JMHO) :wink:
In the lathe with my floating reamer holder it would be a snap. :D
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

For somebody with the knowledge and the tools/machines what you want is no big deal.

However, you don't have either the knowledge and/or the tools/machines and it would be impossible to give you the knowledge needed by posts on the web site. There are just too many ifs, ands, buts and whens involved.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Thanks, I was concerned about the what if's and such. Think I'll just send them off and pick another project to keep me entertained.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Is it possible to shrink the chamber? Like relining a barrel? Would love to tighten the chamber on my 94 in Colt .45.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Been using brass or nylon brushes for nearly 80 years - no damage to bore I can see - shouldn't try to reverse course in mid barrel I'm told - at least with brass one. Do use a nylon brush (for my 45 ACP) to clean chamber so there is some reversing there -

Works for me.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Bruce, if I recall correctly, on the Beartooth Bullets "Shooter's Forum" there was a tutorial on reaming a 30-30 to an A.I. configuration by hand. There were plenty of pics. Give it a search and it shouldn't be too hard to find. If not, you could pm William Iorg who is a member and occasional poster on this (Leverguns) forum, and about as knowledgable on the 30-30 Ackley Improved as you'll find, and he will almost certainly be able to point you in the right direction. Sounds like a fun and do-able project. Let us know how it goes please if you decide to proceed. Good luck!