Looking for a .348 mold...best cast bullet?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Looking for a .348 mold...best cast bullet?

Post by Henry McCann »

As the subject states I'm looking to cast for the .348. Has anyone found a bullet and mold that they recommend?

Thanks for your time, Brett
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Looking for a .348 mold...best cast bullet?

Post by Henry McCann »

Had a few people looking...there has to be some 348 fans here!
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I can not recommend a mold as I do not cast. I do have some .349 250gr FNGC projectiles I purchased from Frank at Mt.Baldy several years ago. He lists it as a custom mold. They shot well in two B-71 carbines that I owned. I would be happy to send you some to try. If you like that bullet, maybe Frank could tell you more about the mold. 1886
Last edited by 1886 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hecter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hecter »

Several years ago I bought a RAPINE mould and like it very much. I believe the bullet goes around 240grs. I purchased it from Mikes Reloading 1-802-254-5296. They are in to cast bullet stuff and offer used and new moulds. I hope they are still in business. My '71 shoots this bullet very well. Good Luck..........
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The .348 is about the only caliber that I have never cast for. I laid in about 12-1400 of the Hornady 200 jacketed. But, in the future, if I decide, and I will as I have several thousand .348 gas checks, it will be the RCBS 200 grainer. Its a special order mould but Buffalo Arms has some in stock. Bit pricy at a buck and a quarter.-----------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

At one time or the other, I've had about every one offered and still have most of them. The best accuracy came from the RCBS 348-200 (comes out 210 in wheel weights) if you consider the all round average from several rifles. With the Brownings and their lack of any effective throat, it does offer some resistance on chambering which may in fact contribute somewhat to their accuracy. FYI, there are several designs out there that won't chamber in a Browning at all unless the case is shortened to keep the bullet off the edge of the throat.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I have two made by Aussie mould maker, CBE. His moulds are first class and he will ship to the US. Both are GC designs -one is 220gr and the other 262gr. The 220gr is designed so that the GC is flush with the bottom of the neck when the bullet is seated to the crimp groove. Despite theories to the contrary, the heavier one is very accurate in my rifle and the lighter one is good too. I've also patched 338 cast pills and driven them over 2300 fps in the 348.

Brownings have no throat to speak of, so I use a Lee FCD to crimp the bullets in place to feed properly.

If you go to the castboolits.gunloads.com site you will find quite a bit of info on loading cast in the 348.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I have a Lyman 350447 mould 183 gr. for my .348, but I've yet to cast any and give it a try.
I guess I oughta take advantage of this cool weather and report back to you.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sixgun wrote:The .348 is about the only caliber that I have never cast for. I laid in about 12-1400 of the Hornady 200 jacketed. But, in the future, if I decide, and I will as I have several thousand .348 gas checks, it will be the RCBS 200 grainer. Its a special order mould but Buffalo Arms has some in stock. Bit pricy at a buck and a quarter.-----------Sixgun
http://www.mountainmolds.com/

Here's a quick & dirty:

His custom mould prices are not bad either.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

If you are going to spec up your own mould you need to make a chamber cast. See the throat impression of my Browning 71 below.

If you look closely you can see that what appears to be a throat is actually the chamber neck. These rifles have no throat at all. As mentioned earlier by another poster, some cast designs foul on the throat in Brownings but you can get around this. If you were designing a mould from scratch I'd personally make it bore riding style with a tapered front band that didnt foul at the end of the chamber. That would be easy enough to do with MM's soft ware.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

The Lyman #350482 has worked well for me. The bullet is a long round nose, weighs around 250 grains, and is gas checked.
Bullet caster Vern Anderson, 250 E. Oak St., Glenwood City, WI, 54013 has them (bullets) available at a reasonable price.
His e-mail address is: gutshot_again@yahoo.com.
The bullet shoots best if you keep the muzzle velocity down around 1500 to 1600 fps. 24 1/2 grains of IMR-4198 works well in my Mode l71.
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

I'm gone for a day and tons of great posts are here when I get back...thank you to all that have shared your experiences and information.

JFE and Leverluver, my rifle is a Browning and I appreciate the heads up on the no throat issue. All I've shot so far are factory loads.

1886 thanks for the very kind offer and I will definitely keep it in mind. Old Ironsights appreciate the link to mountain molds.

The only group equal with the quality of the Levergun crowd, are some of the traditional archery people I hang out with. Don't worry I'll say bad things about you later. :mrgreen:

Thanks again...just what I was looking for!!!