Arkansas Piggies , We're back !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Arkansas Piggies , We're back !

Post by 6pt-sika »

It's looking more and more like I'll make the trip to Arkansas this year for my gunsmith buddies annual feral pig hunt on a friends 11,000 acres .

This is my gunsmith buddy who's wild piggy battery includes a 375 H&H MAG , a 416 Rigby and a 505 Gibbs all in CZ550's . He made himself a 13" barreled Remington 870 and got the ATF permit for it so he can carry that when he and his friend night hunt thru the brush for the piggies (I have no desire to participate in this facet of the trip) . He also finally took my advice and got himslef a stainless steel synthetic rifle in a less pounding caliber and acquired a Remington Model 7 Stainless Synthetic in 300 SAUM .So he'll be carrying all that along as well as an AR-15 and a revolver or two !

I'm kinda thinking I'll take several of the 444's I've not blooded as well as my 2001 rifle loaded with the Mountain Molds 433-400GC and my Retro 444P with my newest mold the MM/RD 432-325GC . Probably also carry along my new to me 336-44 as well as my W.C.Scott 10 gauge and a S&W 629 .
My retired sheriff buddy back about 6 months ago gave me a whole pile of 7mm bullets of which a large number are 175 grainers . Both Sierra boattail spitzers and Nosler Partitions (maybe 250 of the Noslers) . Anyway I am thinking this week or next I'll see if I can't get a decent load worked up in my Ruger #1B 7mm REM MAG with the 175's since I see no earthly need for them in the state of Virginia . That'll make me a fine 200 yard piggie stomper LOL's !
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Arkansas Piggies

Post by 6pt-sika »

Seems they have elevated houses they deer hunt from down there and thats what they also pop pigs from . Since I'll plan to take my ATV along as well I can take more then one rifle to the "treehouse" each time we go out !

Might even make a point of dragging the 10 gauge along each time in case a piggie gets within 30 yards of me and I can dump him with my homemade 00 Buck loads !

Oh I forgot to add , the elevated "treehouses" usually all have propane heaters inside . This is gonna be like going to a hunt at the Ritz 8)

More then likely I'll sit inside that thing and sleep more then I'll hunt :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Another plus of this trip is , I'll see and travel thru 4 states I've never been in before !

We'll be driving thru Tennessee and Mississippi on the way . Then we'll enter Arkansas and once at the final destination we're only 30 miles north of the Louisianna border which he tells me they go in about every other day for one reason or the other !

Think the area is about 30-40 miles south of Stuttgart AR just across the Mississippi river from the state of Mississippi and maybe 30-40 miles north of Louisianna .

Regardless if I kill a piggie or not I'll see quite a few places I've not seen before !
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good luck on your hunt. Sounds like your buddy has quite the heavy duty arsenal for pigs. Didn't know they took that much to knock'em down.
Old Law Dawg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

kimwcook wrote:Good luck on your hunt. Sounds like your buddy has quite the heavy duty arsenal for pigs. Didn't know they took that much to knock'em down.

They don't he just like cannons and morters LOL's !

I should think they don't need 175 grain Partition bullets in a 7mm REM MAG either . But if I have them available and have no normal use for them why not :wink:

Heck the largest piggie he's killed to date was about a 250-275 pounder he shot with the AR-15 using 55 grain FMJ's ! He told me he brained it and it was DRT :lol:

I think the largest piggie he's shot with the Gibbs went maybe 80-90 pounds , seems kinda backwards don't ya think :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I think my wishes as far as the piggie killing go are to pop one with my Retro 444P and the MM/RD 4320325GC , one with the W.C.Scott 10 gauge , get one with the Lyman 429649 , one with the Lyman 429650 , one with the Saeco #433 300 grain FN , one with the Saeco #431 250 grain FN and one with the MM 433-400GC !

And of course each one of those bullets will be in a different rifle :lol:

Killin stuff with BIG CHUNKS of LEAD is cool especially when you cast them and loaded them yourself :wink:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Oh I like your attitude, 6pt! Sounds like a fun time coming up. Those piggies may be in trouble.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Sounds like a large time for sure!
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

For some reason 444's and Piggies just seem to go hand in hand ! Good Luck.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well it's gotta be a decent time atleast !

The gentleman that owns the place doesn't charge us anything to hunt as he actually wants as many of the piggies killed as possible !

They have what they call hunting shacks there for sleeping and cooking . What they call shacks I know of people thats homes aren't as nice !

I've met the owner before he actually went to the same prep school I started HS at and he's maybe 12 years older then myself . Anyway he's a nice fellow to say the least . And from whats he's said to me when I've talked with him , we pretty much get the run of the place . All he and his regular hunting buds are worried about shooting for themselves are the ducks and the BIG deer .Which is what they try and manage the place for .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bigahh wrote:For some reason 444's and Piggies just seem to go hand in hand ! Good Luck.

I concur wholeheartedly !

Actually I'm beginning to think 444's with big chunks of lead will work for anything I chase as long as the distance is within reason :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

From what I understand from my friends past trip normal procedure is to go down and see how the place weathered the previouse 10 or 11 months since there last trip and decide where each person will hunt . Then we go back on the foram and pick up 20 or so bags of shell corn as an incintive for the piggies to show up !
Then you put the corn out and prepare for what may or may not happen !

My friend and another friend from Cali like this chasing them at night stuff . They are also 30 compared to my 50 , so I told them I'd do it out of a treehouse just like I'd do for deer in Virginia . Hence my reason for taking my ATV .
Heck as long as we eat well , don't over do it or over drink I'm all good :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Here are a couple pics from 2010 !

I was supposed to go that year but had a touch of cold or flu and was supposed to head to the Philippines the day after we returned so I bowed out that year !

The first two are pics of my gunsmith friend . The pic with the one hanging I believe he shot with the 375 H&H MAG . In the other pic where he has two leetle fellers he popped them both with one shot from his 505 Gibbs .

This is a picture of his younger brother who uses a SKS . He didn't go last year or this year as he decided to enroll in law school in the fall of 2010 and his winter break doesn't coincide !

Here's a picture of their cousin from Dallas . I think he popped this one with an 06 .

And a picture of the indoor meatpole from 2010 !

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Very interesting reading on hog hunting here in Arkansaw. I actually thought most hog hunters here used a 30-30 or .357. The hogs in the south part of the state must be pretty bad.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JerryB wrote:Very interesting reading on hog hunting here in Arkansaw. I actually thought most hog hunters here used a 30-30 or .357. The hogs in the south part of the state must be pretty bad.

What "most use" and what a fellow wants to use for the heck of it don't always coincide !!

But then I've never been one that really cared what others did or used as the case may be .
1894c

Post by 1894c »

night patrol for pigs sounds interesting--possibly dangerous--sure would hate for the pigs to counter-attack and break through the parameter though... :)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

1894c wrote:night patrol for pigs sounds interesting--possibly dangerous--sure would hate for the pigs to counter-attack and break through the parameter though... :)

Yep , thats all on them !

I'm not tripping around in the middle of the night to shoot piggies !
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

6pt-sika wrote:I'm not tripping around in the middle of the night to shoot piggies !
Given my current physical condition, a little fat, someone might mistake me for a pig and shoot me. :oops: But, I'd be game for night hunting.
Old Law Dawg
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

You are going to see some pretty country on your trip! And if this is in northern AR, then that's also very pretty country.

Have fun!!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

O.S.O.K. wrote:You are going to see some pretty country on your trip! And if this is in northern AR, then that's also very pretty country.

Have fun!!
It maybe 30 miles above the Louisianna border right beside the Mississippi river so I would say it's about as far south east as you can get without being in Louisianna or Mississippi !
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Sounds like a great time will be had by all. When I showed up at 86er's set up in Hondo, I brought 4 rifles from 22 to .457 mag. And several hand guns. Each of the rifles tooh game. Fun way to soot meat. Best of luck
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, Arkansas is way different from Virginia! Only advice I can give ya is... stay out of jail! But, then that goes for pretty much anywhere! Have fun on yer trip. If you want a taste of Tennessee on the way, stop at the Bean Pot restaurant in Crossville, TN at exit 322 on I-40. Turn right and it's right past McDonald's on the right. Their breakfast is great... even if it ain't the cheapest in town. Their menus provide you a good translation of "hill-talk"... excellent if you had phonetics in school... otherwise, you might stumble over a couple of words! (Like most of them!) That won't really hep ya much in Ar-Can-Saw, but it's a good steppin' stone to understannin'! Oh yea, don't let them Arkies hear ya say "Ar-Kanses"... they git right uppity! It's pronounced, Ar-kin-sar! :P

Whatever you do, once you get to the outskirts of Memphis... SLOW DOWN! Those boys there love out-of-staters... excellent source of income... Once you get onto I240 (loop around Memphis), speed back up... you don't wanna get run over do ya? Try for about a 3am (local time), arrival in Memphis, you won't have near as much traffic that way! The drunks will have already been cleared off the highways... and those with jobs ain't moving yet!

Oh yea, watch out for those big-trucks... they either know where they're goin', and want you outta their way... or don't and are downright STUPID about waitin' for the last minute to change lanes... it's that readin' comprehension thing, ya know! As you come into Nashville, be in the 3rd from the right lane around mile post 211, stay in that lane all the way until you make the transition past I265 on the west side of downtown, then move one more lane to the left, and stay on I-40 toward Memphis... then as you near exit 14 stay to the right to get on I240...

Oh yeah, if my truck is parked in the back of the Bean Pot, don't wake me up... I probably got there around 4am and still want to sleep!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote:

Whatever you do, once you get to the outskirts of Memphis... SLOW DOWN! Those boys there love out-of-staters... excellent source of income... Once you get onto I240 (loop around Memphis), speed back up... you don't wanna get run over do ya? Try for about a 3am (local time), arrival in Memphis, you won't have near as much traffic that way! The drunks will have already been cleared off the highways... and those with jobs ain't moving yet!

Oh yea, watch out for those big-trucks... they either know where they're goin', and want you outta their way... or don't and are downright STUPID about waitin' for the last minute to change lanes... it's that readin' comprehension thing, ya know! As you come into Nashville, be in the 3rd from the right lane around mile post 211, stay in that lane all the way until you make the transition past I265 on the west side of downtown, then move one more lane to the left, and stay on I-40 toward Memphis... then as you near exit 14 stay to the right to get on I240...

Oh yeah, if my truck is parked in the back of the Bean Pot, don't wake me up... I probably got there around 4am and still want to sleep!
My gunsmith buddies mom was on the old country TV show Hee-Haw and as a kid he spent alotta time around Nashville so he's pretty well versed in that department !
Plus he's gonna do the driving !

The truckers on I-81 between Winchester VA and Scranton PA used to love me !
They never had to worry about me cutting them off , but I'd darn sure try to push them up the road !
I-81 in PA has to be a speeders paradise I don't know how many times I went past PA State Police running in excess of 80 MPH and they never blinked !
Maybe I was lucky and they all were sleeping :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Some pics of part of the place from January 2010 !

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Yup, that does look like south Arkansaw. Hope you enjoy the hunt.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JerryB wrote:Yup, that does look like south Arkansaw. Hope you enjoy the hunt.
Thanks !
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Happy hunting :D . You will have to let us know how you did when you get back.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

How cool. I saw that episode of Sons of Guns where they built a night vision SOCOM .458(?) for a guy that was having a problem with ferel pigs. On that show, they said a sing pair can produce a hundred offspring a year. I also saw part of that pig bomb special. No wonder they want as many dead as possible.

Good hunting.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Have a great time and be safe! My family is from near there. You'll probably drink some Kentwood spring water while you are there. When you do, think of my ancestors. They are buried on top of the Kentwood spring.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well it's looking more and more like I'll be making the trip !

Have the circa 1966 Retro 444P sighted in with a Weaver K3 on top shooting the MM/RD 432-325GC as well as the LBT 433-340GC . The little circa 1967 Marlin 336-44 just had a Weaver K3 mounted and it's sighted in as well with the RD 432-265GC , RD 432-300GC and the MM/RD 432-325GC .I'm carrying along my liitle Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic 260 REM with the 3-9 Swarovski loaded with 125 grain Nosler Partitions . Also just got done mounting a Redfield Revolution 3-9 on top of our Ruger #1B 7mm REM MAG and working up a load of 61.5 grains of RL-22 and the Nosler 175 grain PArtition . TO be honest I wouldn't be taking the 7 MAG except a friend gave me 200-300 of the Nosler 175 Partitions , so i figured what the heck this is a good a thing to use them for as anything I would around here !
Also have a pair of shotguns for the trip . I'll cart along my old W.&C.Scott damascus 10 gauge and our Parker GH 16 gauge damascus . The 10 will be loaded with 00 Buck and the 16 will be shooting #1 Buck !

So there you have it !

Four rifles and two shotguns . Decided against the need for any handguns . I may however cart along the little circa 1969 Browning 22 Auto juts for fun !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well the guns are in my friends F-250 and the trailer is waiting for me to drive the Kawasaki Brute Force 750 up on it !

Clothes are packed for hunting and socializing !

Plenty ammo is ready and they have an adult bevrage store clsoe to the destination from what I've been told !

ETD is 01:00 friday , ETA is 15:00-16:00 friday !

I will pretty much be in the area of Nash Buckingham's old duck hunting days !

And I'll be prepared for winged quarry as well as the cloven hooved variety !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Arkansas Piggies (ETD 01:00 1-27-12)

Post by 6pt-sika »

Just got home about 2 hours ago !

Between the 3 of us we got one piggie and they shot that one from a ground blind at about 3 yards .

My 2 friends shot that one at about 23:00 one night .

I'm not much on night hunting and using a light , so I hunted out of some tree houses on our friends acerage !

I saw several nice fat doe whitetails and a hammer of a 10 pointer with about a 20" spread . But other then shooting at a beaver and sighting in a Browning Safari in 264 WIN MAG I didn't fire a gun !

I'll post pics monday at the shop !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The day we arrived !

The main house at the camp !

The bunkhouse !

This was hanging on the outside of the bunkhouse !
They have to be the largest set of cotton scales I've ever seen in my life !

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Some pics I took 1-29-12 !

From the deer house !

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pics from 1-30-12

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The piggie my friend killed !

Weighed 175 on a certified scale !

The meat locker the piggie was kept in until we cut her up !

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

2-1-12 , not many as the battery in my cam died !

This was the second deer house I hunted from .

Last edited by 6pt-sika on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

And finally pics from 2-2-12 !

This was the third deer house I hunted from !

GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Re: Arkansas Piggies , We're back !

Post by GoatGuy »

That sure looks like some prime Cottonmouth Moccasin country. Think I'll confine my hog hunting to our locale here in the Arkansas Ozarks. Sure, there are plenty of Copperheads around these parts, but they're a lot less aggressive than those S.O.B's. At every opportunity, however, I do enjoy shooting every blasted Cottonmouth I come across! :twisted: They can be very hard on any livestock or domestic animal that stops to take a drink at a pond, creek or other such water source. Seen it happen and it's a shame to see the suffering of a snakebit animal.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.