Speer 32 Special 170 FN vs. the Hornady 165 FTX and BC?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Speer 32 Special 170 FN vs. the Hornady 165 FTX and BC?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I was surfing Midways site and they list the BC for the Speer 170 gr 32 Special bullet at .297 and the Hornady FTX at .310. Does this agree with peoples experience? Are the Hot-Cor Speer's any good for hunting? I prefer my bullets on the sturdy side rather than rapid expanders.

This would suggest that launching at equal speeds would amount to nearly equal ballistics. Just curious because I'm considering the FTXs for my 32. The Speer bullet is cheaper and much more available up here. The BC difference between the Hornady 170 gr FN 32 bullet and the FTX is substantial but it is not so wide a spread from these published numbers for the Speer.

Edit: I checked my Speer manual, dahhh, and it reads .283 BC.
Now I'm really confused, Speer website says .297 BC!!!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Speer 32 Special 170 FN vs. the Hornady 165 FTX and BC?

Post by BigSky56 »

Bob, I think you would do better with the speer hotcores as you could run into something bigger and tougher than a deer in the north. I havent found anyone thats been happy with the ftx on elk or mulies they open to quick, ftx are not interlocks. I have been loading up the new speer deepcurls a bonded 100% copper jacket over lead they are accurate and group the best of all I tried. The deepcurls should be out this coming year in more calibers. danny
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks, I've been searching the net and the Speer seems well received. There are some reports it is a little stouter than the Hornady FN but both seem well reviewed generally.

Edit: Searching revealed the "Premium Bullet Test" series by 86er on this forum. If you shoot a 30-30 or 32 Special look it up. The Speer Hot-Cor did itself proud for the real world carcass test against some fine ammo. I might add that the FTX tested as a deer round but I am now convinced it is not for my needs requiring strong penetration.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Ive shot the hdys 170 gr interlock for years but the speer groups better, I havent shot anything yet, just canines, with them so time will tell as far as big game. I found that with pure copper jackets it doesnt take as much powder to make them fly the same speed. danny
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

It is a tougher bullet than the Hornady, but as you mentioned it also has a better BC, and I believe you can get it to 2200 FPS + which would be a tough combination.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Love my 32 special, go with the Speer!! I have repeatedly on this and another forum, my skepticism of the FTX bullets.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks for the input everyone. It looks like the Speer will be my go to jacketed bullet. The only concern noted in research is it is a little stout for deer for some riflemen (many deer hunters use it) and well suited to heavier game. Exactly what I'm looking for.
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Don't give B.C. too much consideration when selecting a bullet, at most reasonable ranges a difference of .100+/- makes so little difference as to be negligible. In this case, at a velocity of 2200 fps, and a zero range of 250 yds, the difference between bullets with B.C.s of .283 and .310 is: MRT with .310 is ca. .2" less (yes, less than 1/4"!) and the drop at 300 yds only .4" less! Velocity difference will be only ca. 50 fps. You simply will not see any difference between the two.

In short, Hornady gummy-points are a non-solution to a non-existant problem. At .30-30/.32 Spl. velocities and reasonable ranges a conventional cup and core bullet will be more than adequate for Deer-sized game. Anything more is simply a waste of time and money!
Last edited by Cast Bullet Hunter on Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks CBH, do you use cast in a 30-30 or 32 Special?
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Bob,

Unfortunately I don't have a .32 Spl, but would definitely shoot cast in it if I did. I only have a few rifles I don't shoot cast in. I have both a .30-30 and .30 Rem. which I am still looking for a mould that fits them. On the Marlin .30-30 and Rem. 141 the bore rider is too large to fit the throat and the front band too wide for the Remington. This is with my Lyman 31141. Just got a Lee 170 FP mould but haven't shot anything from that one yet.