Lost my best friend today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Lost my best friend today

Post by Malamute »

Just had to put down my girl dog Molly. She had cancer a year ago. They operated, but said it was a bad type and would come back. It did, about a month ago. I tried to get her out walking, grouse hunting, and other things she enjoyed as much as I could while she could still enjoy it.

She was a rescue that had been found seriously abused and abandoned, tied to an abandoned warehouse in Idaho with a litter of pups, still a pup herself, and about starved. The rescue people didn't thnk she'd be adoptable, but I took to her right off, as did she to me when I saw her. I had about 7 good years with her. She was about 8 or so when she went.

I gave her steak for breakfast, she really liked that. She just got too sick, she couldnt walk well the past few days, fading fast. She was still happy tho, howling along with my other dog Stewart barking as I came out of the vets office. I held her and talked to her as she went. I just finished burying her in the yard. It's sure hard to let your best freinds go.

Rest in peace girl. No more pain.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lost my best friend today

Post by pwl44m »

Beautiful Dog, sorry for Your loss.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Darn it buddy that`s a bummer, they become part of the family for sure.
Sorry for your lose bro. :(
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

It's a shame they don't live longer. I'm sorry for your loss. Congrats on finding a good partner in her.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Real sorry to here about your loss.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Darn, that's sad. I'm sorry you lost her. They just do not live long enough.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Very sorry to hear this. It is a hard thing when this happens.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

KirkD wrote:Very sorry to hear this. It is a hard thing when this happens.
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: :oops: Just looked over at Thor and started reacting to the dust in the room.......I'm so sorry you lost your buddy.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I put my husky down myself about 2 years ago. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but it had to be done. They are a great breed and truly man's best friend. Sorry for your loss, heal well.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Sorry for your loss. :cry:

We put Sam, our dog down in May, 16 years we got out of him. Still hurts, we buried him in the yard too.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I feel your pain ! You gave each other 7 Good Years, try and remember the good times.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Arouoooooooooooo... yip, yip, waoooou! :cry:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Loke
Levergunner

Post by Loke »

Those Malamutes can sure find a place in your heart. Jake was given to me by my little sister for Christmas in 2000. I really didn't need or want another dog. I had to put him down when he could no longer climb the 3 steps from the back yard into the garage. That was last year.
Copy of shasta and jake.jpg
The Chessie is Shasta. She doesn't sing with the police cars and fire trucks like Jake did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Judge a person not for how they act, but for who you can help them become.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sorry to hear that :(

She will be at Rainbow bridge waiting for the day you meet her.
Nothing loves us more than our dogs other than God!
Prayers up!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Malamute, this is hard to read about and believe me when I feel your pain. Acutely.

November 21st I lost my German Shorthair Pointer. It was more horrible than I had worried about since bringing him home 15 years and 6 weeks before. This is the first I've even been able to mention it, even my wife won't talk to me about it knowing how deeply I've been wounded.

It is even hard to look out the kitchen window without crying now. For years our normal routine has been for me to get up and let him out the back door when I am going out to start the generator. Then when I came in and was making coffee and doing the normal little things I would watch him out the window making his rounds, making sure no critters came around in the middle of the night that needed his attention. For the first week I automatically looked out the window to watch him make his rounds only to realize with shock it would never be again, with the expected result coming from my tear ducts. He's not there to ride with me in the truck........ man, I gotta stop this.

Just know, I feel your pain.....terribly.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bigahh wrote:I feel your pain ! You gave each other 7 Good Years, try and remember the good times.
+ 1 Sorry for your loss.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

They love us unconditionally and then they move on.
I've buried several Rottweilers over the past few decades and every one of them has left beautiful memories behind for me to enjoy.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

So sorry............ :(

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

My deepest condolences.
Old Law Dawg
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

My sincerest condolences. Dogs can be the very best of friends. We have had to put down several over the years and it is a tough deal for all concerned. We have a little Brittany that ran over a cliff over at Cody, Wy. Left her with one foreleg paralyzed and the other badly shattered. After much surgery, she gets around quite well, but we know that when it gets too tough for her we will have to make a hard decision. She has continued to gaily wag her tail throughout the entire ordeal and still wants to go bird hunting whenever she can.

Sorry about your loss Malamute.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Sorry buddy..hang in there....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Twice in my life I've had to put down one of my dogs. Nothing anyone has ever said has made me feel better. The only thing that gave me comfort is that I was able to end their pain and that they had someone who loved them there when they went. In my mind in the end thats all my dog would ask for.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You have my heart-felt condolences on the loss of your good friend.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

I have no words that will be of any comfort to you. They do not exist. I do know the pain. However, her memory will be yours alone forever. That, will never die....

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Beautiful pup. Hoping you soon are able to fill the sorrow with lots of warm memories. Blessings and prayers
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
1894c

Post by 1894c »

sorry for your loss--good friends are hard to find, especially a dog--too sad to write any more... :(
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

I also share your pain, and have been there, done that. You may take comfort in knowing that you were a rescuing angel for her, and gave her a lifetime of love, happiness, companionship and security that she would otherwise not have known. I have 4 rescue dogs, and I swear, it really seems they appreciate their good lives now, having known worse before. I feel sure that Molly appreciated you in a special way at some level for the same reason. It takes a long time, but the pain does fade, while the good memories remain.

As was said before, "they had someone who loved them there when they went. In my mind in the end that's all my dog would ask for." You were there for her 'till the end, and I'm sure you were a comfort and reassurance to her. That takes courage, because few things hurt so much, but you repaid your friend's love and loyalty to the end.

May the good Lord bless you, and I hope your pain eases soon.

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

So very sorry!

We're getting ready for the same thing here. My oldest and best friend got really sick last month
and though she's recovering she is almost 15. It won't be much longer but I will not give up until she does.

jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Sorry to hear. I had to put down our Buck two years ago. We had him for longer than we had our two youngest sons. He is resting under his apple tree in the yard.

Kevin
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

So sorry to hear. We love our dogs!! Hang in there.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

sorry!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I'm so sorry Malamute. A finer looking dog I can't imagine. One of the tougher things to go through. I've been there too many time. As folks have been saying, they just don't live long enough--one of nature's odd things to place such wonderful creatures in our lap for so short a period relative to most of our lives. But we're so glad for the time they are with us, and given a little space that good stuff is fortunately mostly what we take with us. It will be for you too, I know it will.
Stonegate

Post by Stonegate »

A life untrammeled with the knowledge of its end is an enviable one. Take comfort in knowing she is at rest. She is no longer in pain.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Beutifull dog, I know it hurt to let her go.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

It means a lot.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

If dogs dont go to heaven, I dont either.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. What a beautiful dog! I've had three that look a lot like that and just love the breed. I know well the companionship they provide, as well as your special relationship with Molly. I've heard it said that their lives are so short because they give so much. I truly believe we will see our loved four-legged friends again. May God bless.
Last edited by alnitak on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Sorry for your loss! NOTHING beats a dog's friendship. Had a beagle/terrier mix who had 15 great years of life and a good home. She gave me much joy. She died 10 years ago and I can't bring myself to getting another. It would be a "replacement" and that thought doesn't sit well.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Mighty rough. Sorry to hear that.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Sorry to hear of the lost of such a great friend.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Very sorry for your loss. RIP Molly.
ED
Yer never too old
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

You did what is right for your friend. She knows why now and I am sure is thakful. Remember the good times and realize that we all hasten for the same end. That's what I try to do.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

kaschi wrote:Sorry for your loss! NOTHING beats a dog's friendship. Had a beagle/terrier mix who had 15 great years of life and a good home. She gave me much joy. She died 10 years ago and I can't bring myself to getting another. It would be a "replacement" and that thought doesn't sit well.

I've lost several very good dogs. I end up getting another one right off. I feel it helps heal the loss, and takes nothing from the old friendship either. All dogs are individuals, and stand alone on their own personalities and merits. I don't feel any are really replacements per se, just the next good dog. I miss all my dogs I've lost, but can appreciate the new dog also. There's an awful lot of good dogs that need good homes, or more to the point, need a good person. I'm happy to get another dog and begin a new friendship. I can ony save the world two dogs at a time. That's the best I can do, and I don't wait that long before getting another dog.

woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

Malamute wrote:

I've lost several very good dogs. I end up getting another one right off. I feel it helps heal the loss, and takes nothing from the old friendship either. All dogs are individuals, and stand alone on their own personalities and merits. I don't feel any are really replacements per se, just the next good dog. I miss all my dogs I've lost, but can appreciate the new dog also. There's an awful lot of good dogs that need good homes, or more to the point, need a good person. I'm happy to get another dog and begin a new friendship. I can ony save the world two dogs at a time. That's the best I can do, and I don't wait that long before getting another dog.

+1
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Best wishes friend.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!