Vamint Bullet for a 270 WCF

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Vamint Bullet for a 270 WCF

Post by RustyJr »

Can anyone recommend a good bullet for loading in a 270 for varmint hunting? Haven't seen any but I was thinking a 130 grain would be nice because it would have a similar trajectory to that of a deer load.

Thanks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Vamint Bullet for a 270 WCF

Post by yooper2 »

I have some plain base Hornady 110gr. that are simply explosive. Bought them at a garage sale a few years back. My records show they were sub minute-of-angle at 100 yds. with a hefty dose of IMR-4895 for just under 3200fps. The only thing I ever shot with them was a porcupine that was munching on one of my trees and to say there wasn't much left of him is an understatement.

Eric
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Kind of ruined his day, did it?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I like Nosler balistic tips, and Speer makes a pretty good hollow point, I have used both of these, sorry I can't give you any loading info, but I don't have it in front of me right now.
Terry
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

I'll second yoouper2. I loaded some Hornady 110 gr. for my daughter to practice with and they were very accurate.
Glenn
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The light Speers and Hornadays from what I have seen are naturally accurate and do the bis on the recieving end a treat.

The 130 grain nosler BT's do a number on anything including large deer. I saw one cut through sheep wire and still kill a fox a few yards behind it, inconsequential I know but,,,,

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Loke
Levergunner

Post by Loke »

For a lot of years, my only rifle was a 270. I hunted everything from potguts (ground squirrels) to elk with this old Remington 700. The Hornady 110 grain hollow point was superbly accurate, and accounted for many hundreds of jack rabbits, rock chucks, and potguts. There usually wasn't much left to admire. Now for a varmint load in my son's rifle, I load the 110 grain V-Max. If any thing, it is more accurate than the old hollow points. They are quite spectacular on prairie dogs. Recoil can become bothersome during a long day on a prairie dog town. For an outing where less than hundreds of rounds are going to be fired, recoil is tolerable.
Judge a person not for how they act, but for who you can help them become.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The 130 was the standard .270 bullet. I have to be honest, when I saw this topic my first thought was, "aren't they all varmint bullets?" Of course, that ignores the Barnes heavy for caliber bullets.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Aggiecubpilot
Levergunner

Post by Aggiecubpilot »

I'll also put a plug in for a 110 grain soft point and IMR 4895. Down in South Texas we have used them on deer and hogs with great success. Shot placement is crucial, however, as it is with any smallbore cartridge. However its accuracy and flat shooting trajectory will instill confidence in the shooter. It is an extremely versatile loading.

I recall one instance of a doe being taken by this load out of a Winchester 70. Just before the bullet struck I saw a bright gold flash and then SPLAT! Quite effective. But not quite as effective as my 45-70 :lol:
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

I have used the .270 to bust southeastern Idaho rockchucks. It works quite well for those long shots but it kicks too much, is overly powerful, and ammo costs too much (even handloads) for extended shooting sessions. My rifle is a 1950's era Husqvarna that has been fitted with a 26 inch bull barrel and a Leupold 12X Scope. My handload was 54 grains of 760 Ball with a 110 grain Hornaday hollow point. Muzzle velocity was around 3175 fps.

Recommend reading "Making The .270 Winchester Perform" by Ed Mastunas in Handloader 101, Jan.-Feb.,1983. He says in his article that he had good results using the 90 grain Sierra hollow point in the .270 for varmint shooting. He used 55 grains of IMR-4350 for a muzzle velocity of 3150 fps and 60 grains of the same powder for 3500 fps. He also liked 52 grains of IMR-4064 for 3450 fps with he same bullet.

You, of course, as a careful handloader will double check all reloading information and approach all loads with caution.

Good luck and Merry Christmas
Loke
Levergunner

Post by Loke »

As I recall, one of my most accurate loads with the 110 hp was 58 grains of H4350. It was a bit hot though. They de-primed themselves, and I could seat new primers with my thumb. They would fall out before I could load the powder for the next load most of the time. I wouldn't recommend that one.
Judge a person not for how they act, but for who you can help them become.