LEUPOLD M-8 scope reticle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dbowling
Levergunner

LEUPOLD M-8 scope reticle

Post by dbowling »

Ive got a Black Diamond T/C muzzleloader that came with a Leupold M-8 3x scope, one of the older ones... it is in very good shape and holds zero and tracks very well..the problem I have is the reticle its what is called the Lee floating dot or maybe premier dot and while I like it it is hard to see right at daylight/dusk...Would the German #4 reticle be better for low light conditions or a heavy duplex,thinkng of sending it back to Leupold and having it changed. wont be shooting over 150 yds with 60-70 yd. shots most common...
Hobie

Re: LEUPOLD M-8 scope reticle

Post by Hobie »

Everybody's eyes are different. I personally get the duplex or heavy duplex. I would consider a post and crosshairs.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I have a 1.5 x 5 Leupold with the Heavy Duplex. It is difficult to get small groups with it, but works well in low light.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Leupold changes the reticules out for less than $50 and quick.
I would think with a muzzle loader a post and hair would work well for quicker shots.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I'm a big believer in Leupold products and especially nice older ones !

Personally I wouldn't change the reticle in it , but if I did decide to do so I'd go with the straight duplex .

I am not an advocate of the post and crosshair reticle evn though I own a number of scopes with that exact reticle . Several of the older Weaver K2.5's and K3's in my collection have the post crosshair reticle . They are a a little more difficult for me to shoot well from the bench then the same K scopes with crosshairs .

I have used the Weaver's with the posts in hunting conditions and they did okay . But I'm far more comfortable with a duplex or even standard crosshair then I am with the post reticle .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Personally I think you'd be better off leaving the Leupold alone and perhaps purchasing a new Redfield in 2-7 . If it costs $50 to get the reticle changed in the scope you have why not add and additional $100 and just get another scope :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

The german #1would be a good reticle for dark timber its a heavy pointed post, leupolds german #4 has 3 short heavy bars then a standard cross hair I find it lacking in heavy cover. Check out leupolds reticle's online. danny
dbowling
Levergunner

Post by dbowling »

Guys thanks for the help...I dont hunt what would be called heavy timber, but it is fairly thick and brush in areas but can also be open to. Like I said I like the dot but my 50 yr. old eyes have a hard time seeing it in the darker woods and early morning/dusk..dont really want to purchase another scope as I mostly bowhunt anymore other then using the .44 mag Puma a little and to muzzleloader hunt...looked at the reticles on Leupolds website and like the #4 reticle but are the center crosshairs big/thick enough to see in low light? Also can you order the center crosshairs thicker then standard on the #4? Sorry for all the questions but only want to do this once.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

1.5-5x Leupold regular duplex - easy to get good groups with it. A favorite scope but not inexpensive.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...