Browning BAR & bullet weights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Browning BAR & bullet weights

Post by getitdone1 »

Those of you who have a Browning BAR--Is it reliable with bullet weights from 125 gr to 200 gr? Since it's gas operated perhaps bullet weight doesn't matter.

Can you change magazines with it as fast as you can with the BLR?

Anyone had problems with their BAR?

Edit: Forgot to mention. 308 Winchester cartridge.

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Browning BAR & bullet weights

Post by Bruce »

I have a fair amount of experience with the older BAR and with the BLR's. Concerning bullet weights, I have shot various weights between 150 and 200 grains thru the BAR with good accuracy and no problems. I currently shoot 150-160's range for hunting deer and I am very pleased with the accuracy and results. The older BAR's have a seperate magazine that detaches from the floor plate and they are not what you would call fast to change. The newer ones have a one piece detachable magazine that is like the BLR and it is much faster to change.

I have absolutely no problems with any Browning rifle and I have (and had) quite a few.

My only problem with the newer BAR's (and others) is the lack of iron sights. To me, a gun w/o iron sights is not on my to get list. I may not use them, but they need to be there just in case. There is one newer BAR that could sway me if I was inclined to get an automatic. That is the Browning BAR Lightweight Stalker w/ iron sights and a composite stock.

I would really like to know if those composite stocks will fit and function on my BPR's.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum